Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a k20z1 with a a2 trans, a2 harness and kprov4 in a 05 em2. im having some serious issues with it. For starters ever since i swapped it my car never cranked normally it would always fire up on the second crank or third sometimes itll crank on the first crank and im on my 2nd starter. 3 months ago or so i threw a CEL for camshaft position sensor malfunction A BANK1 and the car would sometimes stall out randomly and then the car would drive normally. It hasnt happened in awhile. Untill recently i was driving and all of asudden my car goes in to limp mode and wont go past 2k rpms and then throws a code for the crank sensor. So if i drive it i have to shift before 2k otherwise the car will lose acceleration and then eventually stall out. Also note that when the CEL popped up it dissapeared it never stayed on the dash they always dissapeared. So i did a few things 1.changed crank sensor 2. changed my fuel pump 3. Checked the timing but it looks like it might be off by a tooth. But. I could be wrong 3. Changed spark plugs and noticed they were gunked up black they looked terrible 4. i changed the pcv valve. 5. I un plugged battery to reset it and didnt work. 6. Also the car looks like its running rich oil is completely black and only has 10k miles on a rebuilt motor. The car doesnt seem to want to get out of limp mode and i was doing research and they said it could be because my timing, camshaft sensors, my ecu is fucked up and or bad or corroded wire connectors but i checked the connectors and they dont look bad well to me atleast and for camshaft sensors i cant seem to find anyone that would let me test theres. This car is my daily and im starting school soon. Any input would help thanks!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You may want to consider checking engine timing with all those crank/cam sensor faults.

Oh I see you already did check timing. You need to verify if it is off a tooth or not. That very well could be the root of all your issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i have a k20z1 with a a2 trans, a2 harness and kprov4 in a 05 em2. im having some serious issues with it. For starters ever since i swapped it my car never cranked normally it would always fire up on the second crank or third sometimes itll crank on the first crank and im on my 2nd starter. 3 months ago or so i threw a CEL for camshaft position sensor malfunction A BANK1 and the car would sometimes stall out randomly and then the car would drive normally. It hasnt happened in awhile. Untill recently i was driving and all of asudden my car goes in to limp mode and wont go past 2k rpms and then throws a code for the crank sensor. So if i drive it i have to shift before 2k otherwise the car will lose acceleration and then eventually stall out. Also note that when the CEL popped up it dissapeared it never stayed on the dash they always dissapeared. So i did a few things 1.changed crank sensor 2. changed my fuel pump 3. Checked the timing but it looks like it might be off by a tooth. But. I could be wrong 3. Changed spark plugs and noticed they were gunked up black they looked terrible 4. i changed the pcv valve. 5. I un plugged battery to reset it and didnt work. 6. Also the car looks like its running rich oil is completely black and only has 10k miles on a rebuilt motor. The car doesnt seem to want to get out of limp mode and i was doing research and they said it could be because my timing, camshaft sensors, my ecu is fucked up and or bad or corroded wire connectors but i checked the connectors and they dont look bad well to me atleast and for camshaft sensors i cant seem to find anyone that would let me test theres. This car is my daily and im starting school soon. Any input would help thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Camshafts are in time with each other. Can you also snap a pic of the crank pulley lined up with the mark on the timing cover?

Also, did you assemble the engine or was it already assembled when you swapped?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right at this moment no because i have to set up to top dead center again and i have to go to workin 20 mins those pics were from 2 days ago. Nah the engine was built by the engine shop llc in middletown, ny. All i did was just drop the motor in

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Camshafts are in time with each other. Can you also snap a pic of the crank pulley lined up with the mark on the timing cover?

Also, did you assemble the engine or was it already assembled when you swapped?
Because i started it up after changed everything i wrote before and it didnt change anyrhing so i have to reset it to tdc

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the camshafts the one you had them the crankshaft pulley should look like this. If it does then the engine is in time and you'll have to start looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not too difficult to replace. You will have to remove the valve cover though. Torque spec for the bolt is 16 lb ft, torque spec for the cap nut for the valve cover is 7.2 lb ft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not too difficult to replace. You will have to remove the valve cover though. Torque spec for the bolt is 16 lb ft, torque spec for the cap nut for the valve cover is 7.2 lb ft.
Yeah i have the valve cover off i was just wondering if there was anything special i had to do to take it off do you know the socket size for the stud? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good oh and btw the skunk2 vtec solenoid comes with 3 bolts but i dont know the size of those either they arent normal bolts i forgot the name but i think they are allen bolts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts