Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a k24 swapped em2.

I was wondering what master cylinder for the brakes is best and if they'll fit.

I have 5 lug conversion done from the rsx, wanting to replace calipers with rsx type s for more stopping power and add steel lines.

Are the type s bigger in the rear than regular rsx brake calipers? From what I can see in pictures online they appear to be the same size.

Is the rsx/type s master able to fit the em2 master cutout, If so what one is better for braking power?

End goal is 800hp or so. So I want a really good braking system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found out em2 one has more pressure so I'll replace it with a new oem unit to ensure it'll work good.

As for the rear calipers what would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So Acura tl type s front calipers are better, going to do them instead.

So what steel lines would fit em2 to acura tl type s calipers or have to get them custom made?

Also rsx type s rotors or acrua tl non s or type s rotors?

·
Registered
106 Posts
To get an understanding of where you are, you currently have a 5-lug conversion from an RSX and wanted to go to the calipers from an RSX-S, but now want to do the TL Type S calipers, correct?

For the front, just thinking it out, if you have the RSX setup I don’t see why you couldn’t use a big brake upgrade for an RSX. The RSX base has 10.2” front rotors, the Type S is 11.8”. The TL Type S is 12.6” I believe, with a different offset. There are probably a few YouTube videos of guys putting such a setup on an RSX and if you have an EM2 with the RSX 5-lug hubs and calipers from the RSX bolt on, maybe that will work for you. Your biggest obstacles will be wheel choice as I’m sure it’ll take a pretty big wheel with a lot of spoke clearance for the TL-S rotors.

For the brake lines, you might have to use a different fitting to adapt a braided line to the TL caliper, or the OEM banjo hose might work. I would talk to Brian from Fastbrakes for those (the fittings and the lines). Maybe you can get away with just braided lines, and the ones I’ve gotten from Brian in the past were the right ones just longer than the OEM hoses so it may just have enough slack to work.

On a FWD car, the rears aren’t going to do much of the braking anyway so it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense to put cross drilled rotors in the rear since they’d never get warm enough to really help. Of course having tiny rear rotors or drums will throw off the balance when you upgrade the front. Even the auto-x guys put blank rotors with a pad upgrade in the rear and that’s as far as they’ll go. So I’d say blank EP3/RSX rotors with a sport pad in the rear and that should be good.

How big is the master cylinder on the EM2? Going from rear wheel cylinders to calipers is a big difference and would need a bigger master cylinder to push that fluid unless there’s something about that chassis I don’t know about. My apologies I’m not well versed on that chassis. I have an RL 4-piston with RSX-S front rotor/rear ITR calipers with 02-03 EP3 rotor setup on my car but it’s an older Honda chassis.

·
Premium Member
10,518 Posts
Personally your best efforts will be put into running a sticky tire and pads that will handle the elevated heat from high speed stops. If fade resistance is what you are after, a balance from running a larger rotor that is thicker is the route I'd go. TSX brakes would be the same diameter as rsx-s but are thicker. A good trade off that allows a large range of wheel options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally your best efforts will be put into running a sticky tire and pads that will handle the elevated heat from high speed stops. If fade resistance is what you are after, a balance from running a larger rotor that is thicker is the route I'd go. TSX brakes would be the same diameter as rsx-s but are thicker. A good trade off that allows a large range of wheel options.
Yeah I want to do all of the above. Slotted rotors, bigger front brakes, and new master with steel lines.

Think I'll do the regular tl calipers then, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To get an understanding of where you are, you currently have a 5-lug conversion from an RSX and wanted to go to the calipers from an RSX-S, but now want to do the TL Type S calipers, correct?

For the front, just thinking it out, if you have the RSX setup I don’t see why you couldn’t use a big brake upgrade for an RSX. The RSX base has 10.2” front rotors, the Type S is 11.8”. The TL Type S is 12.6” I believe, with a different offset. There are probably a few YouTube videos of guys putting such a setup on an RSX and if you have an EM2 with the RSX 5-lug hubs and calipers from the RSX bolt on, maybe that will work for you. Your biggest obstacles will be wheel choice as I’m sure it’ll take a pretty big wheel with a lot of spoke clearance for the TL-S rotors.

For the brake lines, you might have to use a different fitting to adapt a braided line to the TL caliper, or the OEM banjo hose might work. I would talk to Brian from Fastbrakes for those (the fittings and the lines). Maybe you can get away with just braided lines, and the ones I’ve gotten from Brian in the past were the right ones just longer than the OEM hoses so it may just have enough slack to work.

On a FWD car, the rears aren’t going to do much of the braking anyway so it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense to put cross drilled rotors in the rear since they’d never get warm enough to really help. Of course having tiny rear rotors or drums will throw off the balance when you upgrade the front. Even the auto-x guys put blank rotors with a pad upgrade in the rear and that’s as far as they’ll go. So I’d say blank EP3/RSX rotors with a sport pad in the rear and that should be good.

How big is the master cylinder on the EM2? Going from rear wheel cylinders to calipers is a big difference and would need a bigger master cylinder to push that fluid unless there’s something about that chassis I don’t know about. My apologies I’m not well versed on that chassis. I have an RL 4-piston with RSX-S front rotor/rear ITR calipers with 02-03 EP3 rotor setup on my car but it’s an older Honda chassis.
From what I was reading em2 brake master has high pressure as stock it has rear drum brakes so it's stronger than rsx and will be fine for the rear calipers. May do regular tl calipers then.

This is what I am looking at though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts