1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
I have a 1999 civic ex.
I want to swap a k20z3 with transmission into my 99 civic ex manual
Currently I have the full swap with ecu and harness, intake manifold, TB, AC Powersteering, and all the components from the swap
also the shift box with cables.

Questions,
What harnesses and ecu would I need. (affordable) to complete the swap into the car.
I just bought;
• Motor mounts
• Headers
• Eg subframe.

Planning to use:
• 2009 civic radiators, with custom adapter,
• fuel pressure regulators
• 2003 accord throttle body ( maybe I’ll get something better down the line)

my main concerns are wiring and ecu.
Any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,019 Posts
Hi there.
I have a 1999 civic ex.
I want to swap a k20z3 with transmission into my 99 civic ex manual
Currently I have the full swap with ecu and harness, intake manifold, TB, AC Powersteering, and all the components from the swap
also the shift box with cables.

Questions,
What harnesses and ecu would I need. (affordable) to complete the swap into the car.
I just bought;
• Motor mounts
• Headers
• Eg subframe.

Planning to use:
• 2009 civic radiators, with custom adapter,
• fuel pressure regulators
• 2003 accord throttle body ( maybe I’ll get something better down the line)

my main concerns are wiring and ecu.
Any input is greatly appreciated
Sounds like you are on the right path. The 09 radiator is a good choice for budget full size. Have you checked out oemworx on YouTube ? Great info. For wiring you will want a oem 02-04 RSX or ep3 engine harness as well as the computer from a 02-04 (hondata has a list of compatible ecu for Kpro ). I recommend the oem harness always. I don’t personally trust many of the fancy aftermarket tucked harnesses. But that’s more of a personal preference. You may have to swap a couple plugs around and do something for your VSS to work.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,019 Posts
Or if you want to get really convenient with the z3 swap you can lightly modify the case to accept the older style speed sensor and then use an RSX shift selector (expensive ) to make your trans use rsx shifter cables and shift box as well as the oem. speed wiring

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Welcome to K20a.org and thank you for registering to the forum. We have excellent members on board here. Please explore the threads there is a lot of good information here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you are on the right path. The 09 radiator is a good choice for budget full size. Have you checked out oemworx on YouTube ? Great info. For wiring you will want a oem 02-04 RSX or ep3 engine harness as well as the computer from a 02-04 (hondata has a list of compatible ecu for Kpro ). I recommend the oem harness always. I don’t personally trust many of the fancy aftermarket tucked harnesses. But that’s more of a personal preference. You may have to swap a couple plugs around and do something for your VSS to work.
Thank you for the great info.
As for the ECU, the k pro is a must?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,019 Posts
Thank you for the great info.
As for the ECU, the k pro is a must?
With a k20 you can get by on a oem PRB ecu if you hook everything up that it wants or if a cel don’t bother you. The PRC type r is also a useable option and requires less politics to run the swap. I believe you just re-pin the fuel pump wire or something along those lines. It won’t run perfect but the z3 is very similar to the k20a2 with the same 11:1 comp ratio but on the type r ecu I’m sure it will run a bit rich as the k20a is 11.5:1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts