Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have an awd ek hatch using freelander viscous and crv rear diff with gear x lsd. The clutch basket is pinned and welded together and pump is removed.

I'm having an issue where when I drive in reverse I'm hearing a light clicking sound and when I back out of my driveway turning into the street it feels like the brakes are being pushed and the car will stop. Does this indicate a bad viscous coupler? Last time I had the front of the car off the ground, I used a pry bar to turn the front driveshaft and it turned independently from the rear but with some effort (rear wheels still on the ground). I am also getting a slight vibration at 30mph but only at 30-35mph. Otherwise the car works great. I'm new to awd troubleshooting and could use some help. I have 2 spare freelander viscous couplers I can use but would like to figure this out before throwing parts at it.

EK hatch
2003 Crv rear end (pinned and welded clutch basket)
HCP awd conversion kit
Insane 500hp axles
Gear x rear lsd
K series crv bell housing and transfer case
RSX type s gears with converted Mfactory lsd from fwd to awd
S1 1310 u joints with front slip yoke and custom driveshafts both balanced by a driveline shop

I didn't see an awd section to post in so If there is one please move it to the appropriate location.

Thanks for any help

This is my hatch
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do your spare Freelander couplers rotate separately easier than the one on the car? It does sound like binding could be occurring.
I haven't tried to turn the spares but I have one still attached to the factory driveshaft I will try to turn when I get home today. Should they spin pretty easy when the fluid is cool? I was planning doing a fluid change on one of them so I know I have a good one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one in my garage that I cannot spin at all, so I can't tell you. I would think they should be fairly easy to spin at different speeds by hand.
I'll give it a try and report back. I don't remember any of them being able to spin by hand. When I watched a test video on a freelander vehicle the guy had a cheater bar on the rear wheel with the wheel in the air and was able to spin it and said it was good so I figured mine was good based on that and when I used the pry bar at the driveshaft.

this is the video

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another test I found. I always thought they would be easier to spin by hand, I must be wrong.

Yeah, the other two couplers I have were also about the same as the one I have on the car. I'm going to remove the rear driveshaft and take it for a drive and see if I have the same problem. If I do I think my issue would be something in the rear end or rear drive shaft. I'm going to try one of those tests before I removed the drive shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts