Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my project is slowly progressing, i thought it was time to start a build thread.

This is what my EJ2 looked like before i took it apart:

Because i f*cked up my crank shaft pulley and the mileage of my D15 was almost 265.000 km, i decided to swap the engine. This was left of my pulley and the bolt that holds it in place:

The original plan was to go B18C-R. With that in mind, i slowly started to disassemble the engine bay. Removed my upper strut brace, brake-stopper, AC and cold air intake.

Next step, was to remove the intake and exhaust manifold, as well as al the coolant lines and engine wiring-. Then i removed the engine through the bottom of the car. This step took me about 2 hours.

This is how i ended that day:

Then i removed part of the headlight wiring and the dash.

At this point the B18C-R idea went out the window. I bought a complete K20A2 engine with all the parts and the radiator. It has about 60.000 miles on it. The first night the two spent together:

In the meantime i bought a few as good as new parts. Hasport mounts, R-crew header and stainless steel clutchline. Next step was to remove the radiator and AC mounts, so i can relocate the mounts for the EP3 radiator.

Also removed the driver-side wiring harness:

Then i reached the point of no return. The removal of the passenger side engine mount bracket. I drilled out the spotwelds, then beat the sh*t out of it untill it gave. Grinded everything smooth and test fitted the hasport mount.

Just before X-mas i grinded down all the studs on the firewall. But i don't have a picture yet. Next step is to clean and sand the engine bay, so the car can go to the paintshop to paint the engine bay. The plan at this time, is to match the paintjob in the enginebay to the exterior paintjob. I'm thinking of doing the whole bay in the white color and maybe doing the left and right motormount and the valve cover in the green color.

What are your thoughts on the plans for the engine bay paintjob?

thanks for reading.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just a pic of the firewall where the studs used to be. Grinded it as smooth as i could. The painter will make it perfect.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Positive. It's stamped in it. The engine came from a UK EP3, as far as i know EP3's always have a red vc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't done much lately, mainly been searching for parts. Collected quite a bit:

-Hybrid racing clutch line
-Karcept shifter plate
-RSX shifter
-RSX shifter cables
-K-tuned fuel rail + AN-lines
-CRV K20 Valve cover
-R-crew header
-S2000 clutch master cylinder
-DC2 cluster with pigtails

Just need to buy a conversion harness, air intake and B-series outher joints to fit the EP3 axles. But first i need to get the damn thing to the painters.

I did try to fit the EP3 radiator a few days ago but that is a PITA when you're alone and it's f***** freezing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't do much for a while, but got started again this weekend. Tried to remove the catalytic converter, but unfortunately the bolts that connect it to the mid-pipe are so rusted they won't come off. On the other side the mid pipe is not in the best shape, so I'll probably throw the old one out and just buy a new mid-pipe.

Next step was to remove the entire front suspension including the steering rack + the subframe. Not that hard of a job, i turned an old wooden pallet into a trolley. Then unbolted al the subframe bolts under the car and dropped the car with the subframe on the trolley. Then it's just a matter of unbolting the last 2 bolts on the subframe, the shocks and the upper control arms. Then jack up the car and pull out the complete front suspension on the trolley.

So you're left with a nice empty engine bay, which is easy to clean and sand.

Next step is to remove the rear brake lines and clean and sand the engine bay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice progress, keep it up dude.

How did you manage to get the old engine out from underneath with the shell just axel stands?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used this DIY i found online:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=22

In simple steps. Jack up the car, remove stands, lower the car with the jack so the engine sits on a trolley, unbolt the mounts, jack up the car again and then you can slide out the engine through the wheel well.

I basically used the same steps to remove the front suspension.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used this DIY i found online:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=22

In simple steps. Jack up the car, remove stands, lower the car with the jack so the engine sits on a trolley, unbolt the mounts, jack up the car again and then you can slide out the engine through the wheel well.

I basically used the same steps to remove the front suspension.
brillaint link right there. nice way to do it with only axel stands and a trolley jack!

Keep up the good work dude.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A friend of mine came over today, to do some work on the shitvic. First we figured out the mounting position for the radiator. I followed a tip from Ba82Ep3. Turns out the upper radiator brackets from a 5th gen prelude are ideal to use as lower brackets. For the top i used 2 S2K brackets. This was al just a test fit. Before the car goes to the painters, i will clean up the brackets and paint them black.

I will probably use the original EJ2 overflow tank and mount it in the wheel well, in the spot where the filter form my CAI used to be.

After a well deserved beer, we started cutting the hole for the DC5-shifter. This turns out to be peanuts with the manual provide with the Karcepts mounting plate.

And after everything is test fitted, you end up with a picture that most users here will probably have on their hard-drive.

I'm going to contact the painter this week to make an appointment and figure out where the wiring harness will go through the Fire wall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I visited my painter last friday and he dropped the bomb and told me i basically could bring the car within 2 weeks. This means i've got to haul ass. I am going to make myself do something on the car every evening so it gan go to the painter's soon.

Yesterday I took apart the the front suspension. I will be cleaning up and repainting all the parts including the shocks. First steps are done, i finished the subframe and the swaybar.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: EJ2's K-EJ20 slow progress build

The last weeks i have mainly been busy with refurbishing the front suspension. Because everything was apart i decided to give my Koni´s a new coat of yellow paint and install the new Weitec springs. Meanwhile the engine bay also was sanded down using scoth pads. Yesterday i re-installed the front suspension. This could be handy, since the car has to go on a trailer to go to the painters. Everythong went smooth, except for the upper control arms. The bolt keeps turning inside the rubber, so i can't tighten the nut. This happened on both sides, so i guess i will have to get 2 replacement upper control arms.

The holes covered with masking tape will be welded up.

Cleaned up the inside of the fire wall so the painter will have room to work his magic.

For the first time on all fours in about 6 months.

If everything goes as planned, the civic will go to the painters on Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
good looking stuff dude! always exciting when you get to go to paint :) :up:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts