Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

Have just started the "turbo" part of my K20/EG Hybrid build. There are no other Turbo K20 setups here in New Zealand so I am after some knowledge from those who have done it before to see what "trick"s there are to look out for and if there are any traps/tricks have toos etc..

here is a quick run down on the setup.

JDM K20 ITR running gear
Innovative Engine Mount Kit
Karcepts Pulley Kit
RBC Intake Manifold
70mm BDL T/B
GT35R .86 exhaust
Tial 44mm wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
RC 750cc Injectors

Any info at all with respect to things to look out for would be great - a couple things specifically that I am unsure about is the breather system - the stock system just has 1 breather by the power steering pump and one on the rocker cover...certainly isn't going to be enough. Obviously more out of the rocker cover is a given but do people also enlarge the breather for the block and run a big line from there too?

also intercoolers - a lot of guys run a in/out setup on the same side of the intercooler - is this is purely for easy of piping etc?

What kind of power/boost do the stock motors reliably handle? I plan to run my low boost setting as low as I can get the boost to hold - hoping for around 5 or 6psi and then have some boost settings on the K-pro from there to around 10 psi.....is a 44mm gate big enough to hold around 5psi of boost with the .86 housing?

also - the plan is go to a k24 bottom end later on - with the same turbo setup - is a 4 inch exhaust ideal or is 3" fine? it is a street car.

what kind of power is the stock clutch good for?

ANY info at all you guys can help with would be great.

here is a pic of engine bay - not a great one.

http://www.ikirst.com/gallery/main.p...serialNumber=2

if you have a look around on that image hosting sit there are heaps of pics of the car inside and out in its current form.

·
Registered
30 Posts
there are people making 400whp on stock blocks, how long they hold together depends on how it's driven. i personally wouldn't leave the the bottom end untouched above 300-350. the stock clutch isn't going to last long with 180+ torque so it's a necessity. a rising rate fuel pressure regulator with a return line would be good, but i'm sure you'd be running the return system anyway. also, the motor you're using can help determine a general idea of safe power level as the z1 and itr rods are a tad scrawnier than the a2 rods. with the gt35 i'm assuming you're looking at 400+ so i would suggest a built bottom end either way. most of the time the style intercooler is determined by space issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any other thoughts from people.

if i run a 50 or 60mm wastegate and try and run less then 10psi, will my stock clutch hold on for a while.

just want to get the car running before i pull things apart.

·
Registered
962 Posts
any other thoughts from people.

if i run a 50 or 60mm wastegate and try and run less then 10psi, will my stock clutch hold on for a while.

just want to get the car running before i pull things apart.
Clutch won't hold. I suggest for a 400whp setup would be something like the Competition Clutch Stage 4 clutch. Its very streetable, cheap, really last well on a k-series and has great engagement.

As far as running lower than 10psi, if you want to run really low boost on a turbo setup if you are running an equal length or sidemount manifold then you are going to have to do the following:

1- if you are running a tial 44mm wg then you are going to have to run a super low spring, something like the 2.8 psi spring. It will let you run about 6-8psi and if you want to go higher use a boost controller

2 - if you are running a tial 60mm wg or twin 44mm wg you will not have as much problem with creep.

Creep is controlable and you can tune for it. I am running a Tial 44mm wg with a 4.3psi spring and I am able to keep it right below 10psi on this spring but I run the car at 15psi. My motor is 100% stock and I am running over 400whp daily on pump gas. I have not had a single problem with the motor and its still extremely healthy. I wouldn't be afraid to push it to 450 daily on pump if you have a great tune.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that reply.

I think i'll get the car running as is with the stock clutch so I can drive it around with the new setup - make sure everything works - put some heat cycles through the turbo and so on. Then go for something bigger.

We are an Exedy dealer here in NZ so I might go with a Hyper Single setup clutch wise.

Am not familiar with the names for various manifold types but turbo will be on top of the gearbox......We are Tial dealer here also so i have all the spring options and might go with a 44 with the lowest spring.....or may just get a 60mm in.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks for that reply.

I think i'll get the car running as is with the stock clutch so I can drive it around with the new setup - make sure everything works - put some heat cycles through the turbo and so on. Then go for something bigger.

We are an Exedy dealer here in NZ so I might go with a Hyper Single setup clutch wise.

Am not familiar with the names for various manifold types but turbo will be on top of the gearbox......We are Tial dealer here also so i have all the spring options and might go with a 44 with the lowest spring.....or may just get a 60mm in.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Stock clutch won't last at all. You will be lucky to get through dyno tuning the car. You spent so much time and money in the car why not do the clutch now. Trust me you will be sick when you pull on the dyno and can't finish tuning it because your clutch isn't holding. You are going to effectively double the cars power but you are expecting your stock clutch to handle it. I personally think that it is a very bad idea.

So you are saying that your manifold is going to pass on top of the tranny so that means you are running a sidewinder manifold. These typically flow very well and tend to have a considerable amount of boost creep. The more free flowing a manifold is, the more power it makes but the down side to it is that its harder to get the exhaust gases out of the manifold through the wastegate so it doesn't pass through the turbo. Also, the larger the down pipe the less back pressure the more likely you are go get boost creep. Basically this means that the car will make more power with less boost but you are going to have a bit more problems controlling the boost. With proper tuning you are able to control the creep and tune it out so its still safe but this means that you are going to maybe run a bit more boost than you originally wanted to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok - in paying with b series usually we get away with a stock clutch - at least to get it going and tune.......perhaps K make more power relative to their stock power then the B.

Looks like I need to go with a 60mm gate too if I want to run lower boost....

Are there any "have too's" with respect to any parrt of the build that I may not know about...

Breather system is one that looks like it definitely needs attending to.

·
Registered
962 Posts
ok - in paying with b series usually we get away with a stock clutch - at least to get it going and tune.......perhaps K make more power relative to their stock power then the B.

Looks like I need to go with a 60mm gate too if I want to run lower boost....

Are there any "have too's" with respect to any parrt of the build that I may not know about...

Breather system is one that looks like it definitely needs attending to.
breather isn't a big issue on the K-series like it is on the b-series. The K-series with boost you just need to put a catch can on the PVC valve and detach it from the intake manifold so the crank case doesn't see positive pressure from the intake manifold. The port on the valve cover just put a little filter on it.

The B-series used to get so much pressure from the crank case & head that you would actually blow the dipstick out but the K-series doesn't seem to have this problem at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahh that is good to know.

I guess I could run the line from the PCV and rocker cover into a catch can if I was wanting to make it nice.

Thanks again for your help. Car is going in for the fab in the next couple of weeks so will post up some pics with some prgoress when there is some ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.