Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would go great with a K20/24 swap? A DC5-R steering wheel! Unfortunately, those of us with EG's and DC2's have an incompatible steering column as our splines are too small (plus other factors discussed here). And luckily, the EK is closely related enough that this issue can be resolved!

I have not yet completed this conversion as I'm still missing the EK cable reel but let's get started anyhow!

Items you'll need to complete the swap are:
  1. EK steering column
  2. EK combination switch body with turn signal canceling sleeve (the switches themselves are not necessary)
  3. EK cable reel (aka clock spring)
  4. EK or newer style Honda/Acura steering wheel (preferably with single stage airbag)

Let's first compare the steering wheels! Notice the DC5 steering wheel has vertical notches on the back while the EG steering wheel has horizontal notches. Also, both steering wheels have 2 holes that are supposed to line up with the cable reel. The DC5 has them on the left and right while the EG steering wheel has them rotated along with where the cable reel's cables would go into. Also, notice how much smaller the DC5 steering wheel is. :)

Those notches on steering wheel hub are used by the turn signal switch canceling sleeve which must be aligned properly to disengage your turn signal at the same angle whether you're turning left or right. At this point, it's useless to consider reusing the EG canceling sleeve as it will not work with the newer style wheels nor the EK combo switch.

Let's compare the various parts bolted onto the steering column. I assume everyone knows how to take off the steering column cover. :)

Notice the orientation of the EG cable reel. The airbag, horn and cruise wiring are angled. This will not work with the newer steering wheel as they do not have an opening for these wires.

The EK cable reel is horizontally mounted below the mounting bolt for the steering wheel.
I currently do not have the EK cable reel to show unfortunately. Soon...

Note how the DC5 wheel accommodates for the parts coming out of the EK cable reel.

According to the EG and EK service manuals, both cable reels have a 2 pin SRS connector and a I believe a 3 pin connector for cruise (set/resume) and horn (where's the ground?). I'll revise this later. :) I know you all just want to see the pics first.

Behind the cable reel is the turn signal cancelling sleeve and combo switch body. On the EG, this sleeve slides right out. On the EK, it's clipped in and spring loaded. The springs allow the canceling sleeve to lock onto the steering wheel if somehow they got misaligned. Also, notice the mounting points on the EG and EK steering column. They're different.

Attachments

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably gonna have to order a cable reel off of eBay. Maybe while I'm at it, I should order a 96-00 steering column cover just in case.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to disconnect the connectors from the back of my turn switches. I might just leave them dangling while I swap everything else. Or disconnect them from the main harness.

It's too cold to do anything right now. When I started taking the pics, it was around -7 deg C (20 deg F). Since then, we had a ton of snow dumped on us... :( Middle of friggin' April too.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where's "down here"? :) Well, we were nice and sunny up until the weekend. All the snow we had was already melted before the weekend then we got a fresh new dump yesterday. It's pretty bad since there's no traction on the fresh snow.

I'm trying to order the cable reel off eBay right now as we speak. :) But I gotta ask for shipping to Canada first. :(

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,546 Posts
Very nice thread you got here Sir... I´ll stay tune, to see the updates and all... For now, thank you...

PS: LOVE THIS SITE EVERY DAY EVEN MORE...!!!
:silly: :up:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good deal Scrouge! I still havent had the time or $$ to go pick up my EK steering column and everything. I am probably going to do it for both of my eg's considering one is k swapped with dc5 gauges and the dc5 steering wheel will look amazing.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Where's "down here"? :) Well, we were nice and sunny up until the weekend. All the snow we had was already melted before the weekend then we got a fresh new dump yesterday. It's pretty bad since there's no traction on the fresh snow.

I'm trying to order the cable reel off eBay right now as we speak. :) But I gotta ask for shipping to Canada first. :(
Here in Panama City, FL. fishing is good right now.. and its keeping me from spending money on my k swap. I'll probably run thru the junkyards this wknd to see if i can find an EK column..

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I paid $45 shipped to Canada. You could probably get it for less. Got it off eBay from "hondapartsunlimited" or something. But that's just for the bare column. For that price, I don't see why this isn't attempted more often! Or maybe they do but keeping them as trade secrets... This is why I love K20a.org... Everyone shares. :)

I later ordered a cable reel from them too. It's in the mail as we speak! :)

You might want to shop around for a cheaper combo switch. I found a cheaper one from eBay user "maroneysforeigncar".

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I paid $45 shipped to Canada. You could probably get it for less. Got it off eBay from "hondapartsunlimited" or something. But that's just for the bare column. I later ordered a cable reel from them too. It's in the mail as we speak! :)

You might want to shop around for a cheaper combo switch. I found a cheaper one from eBay user "maroneysforeigncar".
Yea... the local yards said 80 plus tax for a complete EK column w/ wheel i believe.. same price w/ or w/out the steering wheel..

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Just curious... Would like to put DC5 R steering wheel in my JDM DB8 R... from what im reading it wont bolt up... I know that JDM is sometimes different from USDM, I would like a PnP install... will swapping to a EK steering column affect steering performance or a Type R?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just curious... Would like to put DC5 R steering wheel in my JDM DB8 R... from what im reading it wont bolt up... I know that JDM is sometimes different from USDM, I would like a PnP install... will swapping to a EK steering column affect steering performance or a Type R?
The DC5 wheels will not directly PNP into your car. The only wheels that are direct PNP are Pre-01 Integras.. Pre-95 Civics.. Pre-90 Accords, Pre-92 Preludes. Assuming the EK Column will swap over, it will not hinder the performance as the "performance" (gearing) is in the rack, not the column.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The DB8 is also a 3rd gen Integra, right? If it works on the DC2, I imagine this EK steering column swap will work on the DB8. But then again, I'm assuming the DB8 steering column is close enough to the DC2 which I again am guessing is close enough to the EG. You should look into the steering column swap! If it works, it'll allow you to use a DC5 steering wheel (which is what I'm after too).

Anyway, I don't exactly have an EG... I believe my Del Sol is an EH6? But I'm confident that this swap will work... These cars are just too closely related. I just got my cable reel in so hopefully tomorrow evening I'll have pics. I won't be home today to do any work.

But... I did do a quick test fitment and the DC5 steering wheel and the cable reel work together really well! I just have to put the steering column in the car! :D

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I have everything I need for the install but I've had a few things come up. I probably won't get a chance to do anything on this until the weekend at the soonest. I've got a track event today with my beater, a possible date, my nosey aunt coming and having a bunch of people come over on the weekend to help with getting my RSX on the road but before then, I have to get the crankshaft bolts off both blocks before I can get the heads off. :)

Soon guys... Just kinda busy the last little bit.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
that dam little white thing is why my turn signals wouldnt turn off! lol

its a very simple swap if you have two cars side by side, it didnt take me very long when i switched the colums in my ek and eg so i could use the s2000 wheel in my eg,

it should still be pretty straight forward, although i never could find a black steering colum cover that fit well on the ek colum.

and i believe i kept the origional ignition wirering harnesses with the origional cars, i didnt bother swapping the ignitions since they were both my cars though

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.