Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1077 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,041 ·
I had to join this forum just to say thank you. I have spent the past week reading through all 52 pages and you have built a gorgeous car. You have inspired me to finish my EG and drive her again and hear the b16 revving.

Keep updating and looking forward to seeing more work, driving and racing from you.
Thanks very much. I appreciate the comments and the fact you took the time to read through more than three years of build updates! I hope you got some inspiration out of it.

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
I bought the wreck, sold most of it off and will keep the engine and gearbox, shifter, and engine loom. Not sure what for at this stage.
Sold the wreck with everything in it. Someone is going to build a wicked race car. I directed him to this Forum so he can learn more about the K series and the swap.

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Peter, just wanted to let you know that this is my 1st post and I've spent a couple of days reading this thread and all I can say is.... completely inspiring!!!!

Am amazed at the time and detail that you have put into this build! It has woken the beast in me after been out of the sport for +10 years and now completely pumped and am already working on the list of products that I will need to make my up and coming race car build. This will be my 1st K swap and with all of the details and informative info it will be very helpful!

I have to do a little digging into SCCA rules to ensure that I do this correctly and not purchase something that am unable to use.

As mentioned thanks for taking the time for the write up and wish you many success!

Thanks!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,044 · (Edited)
Last weekend I went out to a track day organised by Sydney's "RDTC" Club at Sydney Motorsport Park's North Circuit, which is basically a loop down the main straight, around the back behind the pits, and up and around to the top of the straight again. I shared the drive with one of my sponsors ProWraps & Graphics and owner Jeremy Morris. The sun was shining and we had a great day not without a couple of issues:

Enjoying ourselves so much we ran low on fuel but pitted before there was an issue - so off to the servo for another 20L of 98RON.

The screws holding the accelerating cable to the throttle body came out (twice)

Jeremy ran over someone's debris, cut the driver's side front tyre, which blew out on the main straight at around 190+kph! This ended our day but it was all but over anyway. Lucky there was still plenty of friends around to push the Hybrid Racing Civic EG back onto the trailer!

I have some videos of our laps which I will post up from Harry's Lap Timer. I could only manage a 1:26 but Jeremy did a very respectable 1:19.

Jeremy's last few laps including the 1:19.17 best lap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/unvb8Wk8yoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
Taken by a friend who also drove at the track day:

Thanks again to my good friends at Hybrid Racing for all their support!

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,046 ·
Excellent photo from Road & Track Drivers' Club Track Day, Sydney Motorsport Park North Circuit, Sunday 23rd April with me behind the wheel:

Peter

·
Registered
123 Posts
just wanted to ask, did you feel any vibrations from the k20 oil pump installation? Some feel the removal of the k24 balance shaft oil pump introduces a lot of vibration

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 ·
just wanted to ask, did you feel any vibrations from the k20 oil pump installation? Some feel the removal of the k24 balance shaft oil pump introduces a lot of vibration
To be honest I've never really thought about it, but either idling or revving, it feels OK to me. Car runs great.

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,053 ·
The right front tyre blows out in front of the grandstand, and the car rolls to a halt around at Turn 1 from about 190kph!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6dcvpbl9dQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Not much new to report except that I'm having to replace two tyres on the car before the next event, which will be a Track Day out at Wakefield Park, Goulburn on June 26th. So I have to decide whether to run all four new Yokohama A050s, or put two 'old' A050s on the back and move the Dunlops to the front (rears will be 225s as opposed to the 205s on the front), or run a pair of used Michelin slicks on the front for extra grip? We'll see.

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 · (Edited)
All Honda Track Day, Wakefield Park, Goulburn NSW

The sun was shining all day but the temperature was still down around 2deg C when we first arrived for the All Honda Track Day. I woke up very early (too early) and after loading everything into the CRV and the race car on the trailer on the night before, I headed off at 4:30am. Three hours later I was at the track - first there!

This is an aerial view of the track:

This is the track layout:

I decided to throw the Michelin slicks on that I picked up off another racer and combine those with the Dunlop semis I had on the back from previous- I wasn't sure how the Michelins would perform so I was very careful on the first session on track. An issue with the shifter cable bracket meant I couldn't get 5th gear so had to run the engine down well before the start/finish line. This issue wasn't seen and sorted until Session 3. I also had a small drip from the lower radiator hose but this only manifested itself when the car was hot and would stop when it cooled down.

Best time after about eight laps was a 1:23.1. My benchmark time was from 2006 when I ran my first EG at Wakefield but it only had the B16a in it with the advantage of new semi slick tyres. The track has been slightly re-profiled since then but I was hoping for 1:16. So I had 7 seconds to find.

Main straight, over the timing line:

Bottom of the main straight - Turn 2:

Session 2 I managed to get down to 1:20.4 but it was a stop/start session as a few people were having 'offs' at various parts of the circuit.

Session 3 I shaved another two seconds off as I now had 5th gear. 1:18.2

Session 4 saw me approaching that 1:16 PB with 1:16.75. The tyres were working well but I had an off myself. The yellow lights mean someone has gone off so having to slow down. I think I got back on the gas too early coming out of Turn 9 and banged the ripple strip on the inside of the track - that threw me over to the left and off the track.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bEzHzTfTY2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Session 5 I had a major spin on the back straight - a 180 one way and then looping back for another 180 the opposite way, but ended up facing the right direction, so back on the pedal! In this last session I was working hard to keep two friends behind me which I managed to do with the superior speed of the K24 down the straight. On the very last lap of the session (and the day for me) I managed a 1:16.2. I was happy with that but I know the car would be quicker with some better rubber and some more time in the driver's seat!

My two friends chasing me down, just before the major spin:

All in all a great day!

This is my second fastest lap:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hRrdyzOrI3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My apologies for the video - I was using my iPhoneSE attached to the rollcage via a new tripod style mount I purchased that uses a GoPro mount so it was very shaky. For the last session the phone decided to shut down the video due to low battery but at least I had the lap times and telemetry recorded. I just wish I had that PB and the spin for the record! The videos start and end abruptly as I was using Harry's Lap Timer for data and video recording so each lap is 'discreet'.

Thanks for reading this update,

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
I have been working on other projects including a Honda Civic ED6 with a B16a2 transplant, as well as a 2006 Suzuki Swift Sport track car.

I'm thinking its time to either sell this project or strip it back and refurbish it.

Peter

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,831 Posts
I have been working on other projects including a Honda Civic ED6 with a B16a2 transplant, as well as a 2006 Suzuki Swift Sport track car.
Did you start your own tuner shop business, Peter?

I'm thinking its time to either sell this project or strip it back and refurbish it.
Sounds like a fresh new project comming up next :).

Did you work within one of your projects with RDX injectors? I still can't find reliable dead time measurements of these. Here in my country non will measure it, this really sucks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
Did you start your own tuner shop business, Peter?

Sounds like a fresh new project coming up next :).
I wish so but no, still just hobbies. The enthusiasm is still there, especially for new projects, but I'm physically not as 'fired up' as I was 15 years ago!

Did you work within one of your projects with RDX injectors? I still can't find reliable dead time measurements of these. Here in my country non will measure it, this really sucks.
Yes and I saw your message but I"m not quite sure what you want to know. Let me know and I'll pull one of the injectors and see what I can come up with!

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
Are people seeing my photos? because I'm not seeing any. Only the alter videos.

Peter

1041 - 1060 of 1077 Posts