Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1077 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,022 ·
holy S**t ....... that datto driver must of been spewin , did you have words to him later to apologize ? good vid tho
He was very accommodating about it. We had a discussion in which I apologised profusely and accepted that it was a stupid thing on my part!

You don't want to see my incar ...

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,024 ·
Car is back together, painted and livery applied.

Topped up the radiator and ow find it was damaged and I have to replace it. Ho Hum!

Peter

[PS. 1K of posts in this thread]

·
Registered
722 Posts
Just seen this pictures of your wreck. atleast it did not mess anymore of the car up. looks fairly easy fix.....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,026 · (Edited)
Just seen these pictures of your wreck. At least it did not mess anymore of the car up. Looks fairly easy fix.....
'Wreck' sounds terrible doesn't it? It was more of a glancing hit, and, yes, it was a relatively simple fix considering I had the tools, the paint, and the panels. I've had to buy new AeroCatch latches. As well, I now notice that after topping up the radiator it has a leak at the top along the seam where the plastic tank is bonded to the aluminium body. I'm having the original radiator that I intended for the car modified to fit (relocate the top inlet and weld on a bung for the ECT sensor, which is about the same cost as a new radiator). This one is full aluminium and twice the thickness so should give improved cooling. Not sure if I can fit my 12inch thermo fan but if not I'll stick with the smaller one.

I'm taking this radiator to a local guy early next week who says he can do the jobs while I wait.

To install it I'll have to move the lower brackets (which are the Prelude items bolted in), but the hoses will be the same (except I'm changing the top hose to a silicon one).

Peter

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,831 Posts
Here's the view from the car behind me on that lap...https://youtu.be/b09xv_fr8PA
Hi Peter, I am sorry for you both, seeing that accident happend.

What made me curious is following:
  • were you conviced to be able to overtake at the inner corner radius at that moment?
  • Did you go back and test it afterwards just for practising taking over at the inner corner radius?
Seeing that video made me the feeling you were self surprised about your speed and you over react by keeping the brakes closed. That kind of maneuver isn't easy, especially with a FWD. And I am convinced many other guys would have done the same here as that door was too wide open by your two front racers. I am also convinced with some exercise of that maneuver you would manage it successfully!

Biggest task here is to build up the yawing moment after finding the brake point, which still let you overtake. A bit more neutral to oversteering behaviour of the car would support you in that situation (chamber, stiffness of cross struts, tyre pressure, ...). Just some thought's for your inspiration and of course I am curious what you will do for improvement :D.

Good luck with your next race training and car setup!

Markus

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,029 · (Edited)
Radiator is in without any modifications ...

I started by test fitting the new radiator (all aluminium, double row) for height and found it wasn't as high as the DC5R radiator I was using. So I lowered the bottom mounts (from an early model Prelude) and modified them to allow the radiator to sit about 25mm lower. I found this put the upper hose outlet under the manifold/TPS. I looked through the hoses I had and found one that, when trimmed off about 20mm at one end, fitted perfectly. Not only that it ran under the intake piping to the motor without further modification!

The overflow bottle connection was in the same place, as was the lower radiator hose.

As a bonus my CUSCO High Pressure radiator cap also fits this neck.

I haven't fitted the thermo fan but I will since I can control its operation through the Haltech ECU without the need for the lower sensor in the radiator.

Quite simple really - I don't know why I didn't look at it closely when I was originally trying to fit this radiator.

Peter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eh dont sweat it. MORE VIDEO!! :)
Hey Pete,

Speed of the car looks good! Normally Anth's car is doing about 180k's coming into T2 breaking area. He brakes at about the 150mtr mark and very few go much deeper. I think your car will eventually be a tad faster at this point, so start braking at the 200mtr sign and work your way from there.

Also, we've learn't over the past 5 + years that Friday private Practice days at E. Ck are woeful. We won't attend them unless we absolutely have to. Too many L2S drivers and/or bikes make for a long and frustrating day with little to no laps to get thru what you need to do, let alone getting comfortable in the car.

We mostly do Track days, like Circuit Club, Track School, Nulon Nationals. Twice the price (approx $250 ish) but heaps and heaps of laps with very few stoppages. They also limit how many can run so you need to enter early!!!

The next one at E .Ck is with the Nulon Nationals on Sunday 23rd July. Come along and have some fun.

Cheers.........

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,031 · (Edited)
Hey Pete,

Speed of the car looks good! Normally Anth's car is doing about 180k's coming into T2 breaking area. He brakes at about the 150mtr mark and very few go much deeper. I think your car will eventually be a tad faster at this point, so start braking at the 200mtr sign and work your way from there.

Also, we've learnt over the past 5 + years that Friday private Practice days at E. Ck are woeful. We won't attend them unless we absolutely have to. Too many L2S drivers and/or bikes make for a long and frustrating day with little to no laps to get thru what you need to do, let alone getting comfortable in the car.

We mostly do Track days, like Circuit Club, Track School, Nulon Nationals. Twice the price (approx $250 ish) but heaps and heaps of laps with very few stoppages. They also limit how many can run so you need to enter early!!!

The next one at E .Ck is with the Nulon Nationals on Sunday 23rd July. Come along and have some fun.

Cheers.........
Hey, good to hear from you.

I'm heading south down to Winton for the 2016 Honda Nationals on Friday July 29th with a couple of other guys. I entered and paid quite a while ago (when the entries first opened - I've always been meaning to do that event again since I did the first one in 2011).

Just finished putting in the new radiator, plus a couple of extra gauges (water and vacuum). I've wired in a manual electric fan so I have it on at a flick of a switch - I'm not confident the Coolant Temperature sensor is sending the correct water temp to the Haltech. The dash is showing over 100deg C but the radiator and the hoses are still cold to the touch. The old analog gauge will either confirm or read the correct temperature through the inline sensor.

How's the build coming along on the motor? Are you running this year (next round at Eastern Creek)?

Any updates on your plans for a car? I've seen a few EKs come up on Gumtree really really cheap. I'm even considering transferring all the running gear into one. Saw one locally for $350.

Peter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, good to hear from you.

I'm heading south down to Winton for the 2016 Honda Nationals on Friday July 29th with a couple of other guys. I entered and paid quite a while ago (when the entries first opened - I've always been meaning to do that event again since I did the first one in 2011).

Just finished putting in the new radiator, plus a couple of extra gauges (water and vacuum). I've wired in a manual electric fan so I have it on at a flick of a switch - I'm not confident the Coolant Temperature sensor is sending the correct water temp to the Haltech. The dash is showing over 100deg C but the radiator and the hoses are still cold to the touch. The old analog gauge will either confirm or read the correct temperature through the inline sensor.

How's the build coming along on the motor? Are you running this year (next round at Eastern Creek)?

Any updates on your plans for a car? I've seen a few EKs come up on Gumtree really really cheap. I'm even considering transferring all the running gear into one. Saw one locally for $350.

Peter
Hi Pete,

Yeah its all back together and just gotta finalise the cam timing/setup. Then off to Phil's for a tune then hopefully E.Ck for the Nulon Nats then IPRA Rd4 the following weekend.

I'm not building anything until we see whether Anth puts his up for sale at the end of the year or decides to keep running it. He's going to get married soon so was talking about selling it to help get the deposit for a house. If he sells her then I'll start my build...

Cheers,
Paul.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 ·
I'm not building anything until we see whether Anth puts his up for sale at the end of the year or decides to keep running it. He's going to get married soon so was talking about selling it to help get the deposit for a house. If he sells her then I'll start my build...
It was only a matter of time! Priorities change!

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,034 ·
Here's some photos of the work I've done to the car since the last track day and the unfortunate incident ...

Car is back together with replacement panels and slightly revised livery:

Fan switch installed

along with the electric fan:

Water Temperature gauge. Reads in degrees Fahrenheit but I've placed a small marker line on 200deg which is about 90deg Celsius:

Water Temperature sender installed in upper radiator hose:

Vacuum gauge mounted at the A-pillar on the roll cage:

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,035 · (Edited)
OK. It's been awhile but here's an update on what's been happening with the Hybrid Racing EG Civic.

HONDA NATIONALS 2016

Every year we have the Honda Nationals (or "HNationals" as we call it since Honda Australia does not allow use of the "HONDA" trademark by anyone not sanctioned by Honda - yeah I know its crazy but there's nothing we can do unless we want to get sued!)

So, last Saturday I loaded up the car and headed off with three other mates, down to Winton Motor Raceway in Victoria. We set off mid-morning and arrived at our accommodation for the night in Wangaratta, which is about 40kms from the track. I was with Bryan in his B18 Integra DC2, Jez in his Civic EK/B16, and Jono also in his immaculate EK.

Winton is about six and a half hours drive from Sydney down the Hume Highway but with a couple of fuel and rest stops added in you can make the trip in about 8 hours. The greater proportion of the drive down is multi-lane, divided highway so its easy enough.

My tow vehicle is a 2013 CRV. It tows very well given the trailer only weights about 350Kg and the car about 950Kg.

We all booked pit garages and this made it a little more comfortable than being in a carport as it was very cold, and when we arrived the track was wet.

COMPETITORS AND FORMAT

The event is classed as a supersprint and all the competitors were classified according to track experience and the amount of modifications done to their cars. There were five groups - A, B, C, D and E. I was in D group (with the A group being least experienced/least modified). This year about a third of the field was S2000s. Being a supersprint also means the minimum requirement is long sleeves, long pants, and a helmet to drive. There were also passenger sessions for those with two seats in their cars!

We unloaded our cars and all our gear into our garages, and I put up the Hybrid Racing banner. During the day I distributed "Awesome Sauces" to everyone courtesy of the boys at Hybrid Racing. The air fresheners were a real hit!

The above photo was taken by my friend Jono (ISO Media). He's an excellent photographer!

... and a couple of photos inside the car ...

Here are some photos of other competitors (just random ones around the pits). As I mentioned before, a large group of S2Ks:

Jimmy and Benny Tran of BYP Developments picked up most of the trophies, with fastest time overall, fastest NA, fastest FWD, and a swag of others. They were well clear of third place!

We went out to dinner on Saturday night at a really nice pub in town that served some of the largest meals we've ever seen.

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,036 · (Edited)
SESSIONS

The first sessions of the day were wet (damp with some standing water in some corners) at best! All 65 competitors hit the track over the five groups. I was concerned that the Hybrid Racing EG was a bit loose during my session but when I returned to the pits I soon realised I'd made a 'rookie error'!

I normally inflate the tyres on the EG to 40PSI because it makes it easier to load/unload on the trailer. Unfortunately I forgot to lower the pressures to my normal track settings!

In Session 2 (with the correct pressures) I managed to set a 1:54 which was good enough for 35th place out of 65 competitors. I've never driven Winton Raceway before so I was really feeling my way.

In Session 3 I was down to my best time within two laps but then disaster struck when one of the C-clips that holds the shift linkage cable to the gearbox popped off, leaving me to limp the car back to the pits and try and find a replacement. I wasn't able to find anyone who had one so ended up cable tying the link. This didn't work so that was basically the end of my day! Not the best end as I was really looking forward to getting some better times in as the day proceeded. With the track drying everyone was going faster so by the end of Session 3 I had dropped to 50th.

However, it wasn't all doom & gloom, as at the Awards the Hybrid Racing EG Civic picked up the award for "Best Livery" which I was really pleased with!

We travelled back to Wangaratta on Sunday night, had dinner and a good laugh about the day's events, stayed the night, and headed back to Sydney the next morning in the rain.

Bryan's Integra, my Civic EG and Jono's EK. Jez had left the previous night after dinner as he had to be back in Sydney for work!

So we are now working on making 2017 HNationals happen in Sydney, and I'm looking forward to a better showing!

PS. If you search around you will find lots of photos and videos of the event!

Here's a quick video I made, mainly featuring Bryan in his Integra

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3qJt2MDq0j4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peter

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,037 · (Edited)
UPDATE

Not much has been happening since the HNationals at Winton. Car is basically sitting in the workshop, but I am on the lookout for new front brakes as soon as finances permit.

This past weekend I have been officiating at World Time Attack Competition at Sydney Motorsport Park, and met a couple of guys you're all familiar with. There was a big crowd this year, probably the biggest in the event's history.

Keiichi Tsuchiya (Mr. Dori-Dori)

He was a popular visitor to the event, doing laps in Beau Yates' AE86, as well as the Pagani supercar.

Tsuchiya-san with Nobuteru Tanaguchi in front of the Pagani

Waiting to do some drift laps in Beau Yates; AE86

With Tanaguchi-san in Pit Lane

During the week before WTAC2016 I helped a friend who owns a Signage/Wrap business complete the liveries on some of the cars

Adam Moncke's car from West Australia with twin turbos

Some other cars

Topstage Composites' Nissan Skyline

Ex-JGTC Nissan Silvia (S15, 200SX)

ProWraps and Graphics (my friend's business) DC5 Integra

I've also acquired another K24a3 motor and 6 speed gearbox as a spare!

Peter

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,831 Posts
This past weekend I have been officiating at World Time Attack Competition at Sydney Motorsport Park, and met a couple of guys you're all familiar with.

Keiichi Tsuchiya
Wow man, would love to meet Tsuchiya-san, doing some race rounds to learn from him, as this man has a great ability and talent to direct any car in the right direction in fantastic short times. Anyway, your weekend must have been very inspiring to you...great guys, nice cars, sound, smell...mmmhhhhh...racing atmosphere :D?!

Did Tsuchiya-san tell you something about the Pangani experience?

Very nice update, Peter! How is your car actually working? Is the spare engine just for the shell like it is or do you start to build it for a swap spare?

Markus

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to join this forum just to say thank you. I have spent the past week reading through all 52 pages and you have built a gorgeous car. You have inspired me to finish my EG and drive her again and hear the b16 revving.

Keep updating and looking forward to seeing more work, driving and racing from you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,040 ·
Wow man, would love to meet Tsuchiya-san, doing some race rounds to learn from him, as this man has a great ability and talent to direct any car in the right direction in fantastic short times. Anyway, your weekend must have been very inspiring to you...great guys, nice cars, sound, smell...mmmhhhhh...racing atmosphere :D?!
He is a rare talent and a real character. He played to the crowd all the time. But, you know, he's a regular guy. During his visit to Sydney he took lots of selfies around the city, the beaches and the race track. He even took one of me and my Pit Exit buddy and posted it to his FaceBook page! I've been following him since his days in the JTCC Series in the 90s.

https://www.facebook.com/keiichitsuchiya/

Scroll down and there's me and my buddy sitting. I didn't look up quickly enough!

Did Tsuchiya-san tell you something about the Pangani experience?
He doesn't speak any English and had an interpreter with him.

Very nice update, Peter! How is your car actually working? Is the spare engine just for the shell like it is or do you start to build it for a swap spare?
Car is good. I bought the wreck, sold most of it off and will keep the engine and gearbox, shifter, and engine loom. Not sure what for at this stage.

Peter

1021 - 1040 of 1077 Posts