Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1084 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone on the K20A Forum from Down Under. I have been on this Forum for some time and thought it is about time I started my own Build Thread.

[If you want to skip the build and go straight to the motor install, it's on page 27]

[I am currently refurbishing the EG Civic, after it has sat for about 3-4 years. I'll be stripping it down, freshening everything up: starts on page 54]

The car that I am building is as follows:

Honda Civic EG3 so it is a base model with manual windows. I acquired it off eBay a few years ago for $300. It had some nice wheels on it but no engine or transmission. Since my previous race car was an EG (an EG6 I imported from Japan in 2005) I thought this would make a good starting point for another track car. My original idea was to put a B16A into it but on reflection decided a K Series would be more bang for the buck. I acquired a 2005 Accord off eBay (also a few years ago), stripped it and sold off as much as possible keeping the engine, transmission, wiring, axles and exhaust

I have already stripped the chassis, had a roll cage fitted to local CAMS specs, and bought a few items for it. I'll update this thread with progress photos.

I hope you enjoy reading through my build thread.

I should also thank David, Kris and Will at Hybrid Racing for their support in this build.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is my first EG racecar. It was a JDM EG6 Sir II imported in late 2005 and rebuilt for racing in the 2006 season here in Sydney.

It was basically a road car with a rollcage, race tyres and an Ogura Racing clutch. I finished the season 10th overall and third in class, no DNFs, and no mechanical failures.

This is my favourite photo, taken at Eastern Creek in 2006, now called Sydney Motorsport Park.

Peter

Reactions: KBuilt

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In 2011 I rebuilt an EG5 VTi, converting it from automatic to manual, and competed in the first Honda Nationals, held at Wakefield Park.

This car is my basic daily driver now.

In 2011 I picked up this Honda Accord off eBay:

It had been written off after a front ender but the motor and gearbox were all in good condition. The subframe had basically done it's job and saved everything!

From now on I'll be updating with build progress on the race car.

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's the Accord K24A3 motor and transmission, removed from the wreck:

All that was left of the Accord, consigned to the metal recyclers after every component, nut and bolt, and plastic clip was removed:

This is a mockup of the car's livery:

The first job was to strip the chassis down, remove all the internal fittings, delete all unnecessary brackets, and the sound deadening on the floor.

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
VTEChallenge Australia is a race series based on a number of similar series exclusive to cars manufactured by Honda Motor Co of Japan. We looked at a number of successful series in the U.S., Japan, South East Asia, the U.K. and New Zealand. We then sifted through all the rules and regulations of each of these series and eventually decided to go with an almost duplicate set of rules to those employed in New Zealand.

The Honda Motul Cup in New Zealand is a very successful series mainly down to a hard working group of organisers, especially Al Stewart and Richard Gee, with assistants in both the North and South islands. Even the series sponsor (Motul) competes.

In February this year I went to Auckland to meet Al and his team, and experience the close racing at an event in Hampdon Downs, just south of Auckland. I learnt a lot about how the cars were set up, how the rules were implemented, and how good the racing was. I even got to visit one of the major workshops JTune.

Here's our logo, designed by Timothy Mu, here in Sydney:

Here's some photos from the race meeting. There were a great variety of cars from EP3s, EF Civic, CR-X, EG and EK, and Integra Type Rs.

All the cars are weighed as the rules divide the cars into classes (H1, H2, etc) according to engine size and weight:

This is the driver's briefing conducted by Al Stewart:

A variety of cars, but the racing is tight:

A pit area is set aside exclusively for the Honda Motul Cup teams. They are well organised and the camarderie is very high:

This is the side panel of Richard Gee's EK Civic:

Teams have good support, sponsors assist wherever possible:

Cars are limited to those manufactured in the last 20 years, and more competitors are moving up to K Series motors:

This is a K series motor built by JTune:

We hope to emulate the success of this Series here in Australia, and maybe even organise a Trans Tasman Challenge.

After the event I went to Auckland city centre and met up with the boys at JTune, who have a very impressive workshop tuning and modifying cars especially Hondas.

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I recently had a new workshop built at the foot of the Blue Mountains here in Sydney. It's 135 sq.metres with a high sloping roof, and enough floor space to store all my spare parts, motors, wheels and tyres, and my collection of Hondas (1 x Civic EH9 4Dr, 1 x EG5 2Dr, 1 x EG3 racecar, 1 x ED6 and another ED6 to be converted to EF9, and a DA9 Integra). I will be prepping the racecar here:

I've fitted the workshop out with industrial shelving, a 10HP air compressor, a large sandblasting cabinet, hydraulic press, and an assortment of power tools.

Compressor is 3 Phase powered, to drive the sandblasting cabinet, air tools and spray painting equipment:

Sandblasting cabinet is big enough for most major parts including wheels:

I upgraded from a small 6 tonne bench press to this free-standing floor monster, mainly to make fitting new poly bushes to all major undercarriage parts much easier and more efficient:

Yokohama race tyres A048s:

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Back to prepping the racecar.

Removing all the unnecessary brackets:

Mainly I just used a cut-off wheel on my angle grinder and then a flap wheel to smooth off the rough bits:

Most of the brackets were to do with the spare wheel, the rear seat, and hinges:

Then i moved on to removing the black sound deadening material. Always a bugger of a job since I prefer the traditional heat gun and scraper method over the 'dry ice' one. after scraping everything as best I can I follow up with Wax and Grease Remover and a rag or two. It does the job.

This is what's left - a bucket of black goo!

follow that up with etch primer on the bare metal areas and primer on the other parts. Dull yellow is etch; white is plain primer:

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The chassis needed a bit of work on the roof. In typical Honda fashion for the period (early nineties), the roof clear coat had blotched and peeled, so I sanded it back and gave it a coat of primer in places:

Aerial delete:

Rather than buying a delete plug I simply used the tools at hand. Fabricated a small oval plate, drilled two small holes in it, fitted it to the inside of the frame through the cabin, inserted two pop rivets:

then filled it, sanded smooth, and ready for paint.

The chassis was now ready to send to my fabricator for the rollcage. I use the same guy who built my previous car's cage, as he is a fellow competitor and does an excellent job!

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Fitting the rollcage

Our rollover protection has to meet stringent standards as specified by the governing body CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motor Sport). Cage builders have to be certified and when the car is finished it has to be inspected pre-race for safety and cage integrity.

New rules have slightly altered the cage design especially regarding side intrusion. You'll see in the following photos we are mimicking the U.S. style of side intrusion with bars meeting along the horizontal for greater strength and rigidity.

I delivered the car to the fabrication workshop:

After my fabricator explained the new rules, we sat down and designed the structure. I decided to go with horizontal bars through the firewall onto the front suspension towers for extra rigidity.

This is the driver's side (passenger side for you guys Stateside!):

This is how the new rules were implemented, with the bars joining:

Passenger side (your driver's side):

Roof protection:

Inside, looking from the back:

Inside again, looking from driving position:

Looking rearward from the passenger side:

Side intrusion:

My fabricator also put the seat rail mounts in as a bonus!

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have the car back now, up at the workshop. So in the meantime, I am collecting parts.

I had a choice of motor - JDM H22A, B16A, or lesser spec B18A or even D16Y1 (D16Z6) but I decided to go with the K24A3 and 6sp transmission.

Rear spoiler I found at the junkyard. I'm not sure of its origins but it sits on top of the OEM EG spoiler giving a more elevated rake:

New race boots (since my original pair are 17 years old):

New Racetech seat with wraparound 'wings':

Oil Catch Tank (mandated 2Litres):

Broadway mirror from eBay:

Six point 3" straps race harness, same as the one I used previously. Local supplier, good price and very well made (to FIA spec):

Other safety items include window net, kill switch, chassis decals, and harness:

Energy Suspension poly bushes including Master Bushing Kit, swaybars, suspension, etc

I have several sets as I bought them from a U.S. supplier when the exchange rate was much in our favour. I'm glad I did that as the dollar has dropped considerably now.

Works Engineering Flip Up steering wheel hub and spacer:

This just about brings the build up to date. At the moment money is being saved to buy all the K Swap parts I'll need. These will be supplied by Hybrid Racing.

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Subscribed! AWESOME!
Thanks. I hope you get something out of the build.

In for this, i have a similar build in the works as well! Good start
Thanks. I'll check it out (if I haven't already).

Great work so far Peter!!

:nod:
Look forward to working with you David.

:notbad: im doing the same swap but with db8 great progress man amazing fab work.
Thanks also. I'll have a look through your build too.

Very nice work. Subscribed to watch this come together. :up:
Appreciate the encouragement Mike.

do you have pictures from the seat rail mounts?
nice build:nod:
Yes I do. I'll find them and post them up ASAP for you.

Very interesting thread!

Wish you all the best with the car and the series.
Thanks on both counts. VTEChallenge Australia 2014 is the goal - we just have to bring the Honda tuning and enthusiast community together to enjoy their cars in a safe and conducive environment. It's a big task but we are buoyed by the success of similar series overseas. This car is being built as a demo car to encourage people to join in. So far all indications are that there is lots of interest out there so we'll keep working and see what happens.

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
One of the strategies we have been employing in promoting VTEChallenge Australia 2014 is to make workshop visits to some of the better known Honda tuners in and around Sydney.

Two of these workshops are BYP Racing and Developments and ISON Industries.

Some of the crew from ISON Industries:

They do some excellent work especially on Civics including engine swaps and mechanical upgrades.

BYP Racing and Developments have been very active on the Time Attack scene and have just won the Victorian Time Attack event held at Winton. They have a small workshop with a mobile dyno and an ever-expanding range of quality aftermarket products. On top of that the Tran brothers (Jimmy and Benny) are pretty good steerers of both circuit and drag cars.

The BYP Integra - 1st place Victorian Time Attack:

There are several other tuning shops in Sydney including JDMYard, who regularly hold Open Days at their workshop (which luckily is not far from me):

JDMYard Civic EG with K24 is well known in the local Honda community:

Other workshops supporting VTEChallenge Australia 2014 include the following, and I might take this opportunity to send a big shout-out to them for promoting the Series:

WORKS Engineering Australia (NSW)
Sleeping Performance and Mechanical Repairs (Victoria)
Intune Mechanical Solutions (Wollongong NSW)
Australian Clutch Service (Xtreme Range of performance clutches) (Victoria)
AGI Precision Products (rollover protection)(NSW)
SelectNine (graphics and logo design) (NSW)
Viral Vinyls (decals) (NSW)
LSP Motorsports (aftermarket performance products and mechanical) (NSW)
JDM Style Tuning (marketing) (NSW)

Peter

1 - 20 of 1084 Posts