Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2001 Honda Insight which has 250k miles on it. The hybrid electric parts have been gutted since it became too expensive and labor intensive to keep the IMA working. This car is my daily driver. Right now it has approximately 45 buff horses. I need to remedy that.

Having thought about this for about a year now I've settled on a course of action. I'm going to put a K20z3 and matching 6 speed. I want to keep this mostly stock as it's intended to be a fast daily, but the daily part of that is most important. I need it to be reliable above all else.

My recipe so far.
K20Z3:
Balance shaft delete
3" intake plumbed to outside air
Headers
3" exhaust maybe with a 200Cpi Cat. I don't have a sniff test here, just a safety inspection

K20Z3 6 speed:
Keep LSD
4.3 final drive out of Accord (This is important)

ECU:
Could be Civic with a flash (keep Ethrottle) or could be Accord with Hondata/Ktuner (Convert to cable throttle)

Harness:
Would use stock 8thGen Civic, if I use that ECU. If not, ???

So here's my real question. Would it be significantly better to use the Accord ECU over the Stock Civic ECU? What are the pros/cons? I know the Civic ECU would give me some warning lights about airbags and stuff. From what I've read I can ignore those and the engine will still run fine, but other than the Flash tune I can't really do anything else to it.

If I use the Manual Accord ECU I could do a make it a full Ktuner or Hondata ECU. This opens up all possibilities, but sometimes having all the options to tinker with is not a good thing when your number 1 priority is reliability! lol Plus this would mean hacking up an engine harness, figuring out the VSS, etc, etc.

Oh, and I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I HAVE to have AC. I live in Texas and commute 45 miles each way. Can't be showing up to work drenched in sweat. So whichever way I go I'll need the ECU to accomodate AC.

About the 4.3 final drive. This car came stock with 14" wheels. I have swapped those skinny bastards out to some Mini Cooper 16x6.5 inch wheels with 205/45 Federal 595's on them. This is good. However the rollout of these tires is still smaller than what the 8th Gen Civic comes with. So I need that taller FD to keep the RPM in check. It will still come out slightly than the stock gearing of the 8th gen, but not by much. I need this to get reasonably MPG. I commute 90 miles 5 days a week.

My plan for doing the swap is to buy a whole Accord from Copart, strip what I need and sell what I can, then buy a whole 8Th gen Civic and do the same. Also I want those SI seats in my Insight!

So what ECU do you think I should use?
Are there any gotchas that you see and I haven't thought about?
Any advice or critique to the plan?

And please don't come in telling me I should do a frankenstein, or any other K24. I have specific reasons for wanting a high-revving (for stock) K20. I actually want LESS torque. I enjoy pinning the throttle and using every bit of what the car has in a daily driving scenario. With a K24 in a 1700 pound car it would just mean constant wheelspin, which I would have to fix with bigger, stickier, more expensiver tires, which I have to replace more often and I wouldn't get that feeling of driving what equates to a 4 wheeled motorcycle with air conditioning! With an almost 200Hp stock K20 with an LSD and lower gearing I feel like I could use all that she's got and it would only mean forward momentum. That really appeals to me.

Thanks for reading all this!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need to join a Facebook group called "K swapped Insights" and then read until your eyes dry out (or search terms for efficiency's sake). Then if something hasn't been discussed feel free to post individual questions, we're a helpful bunch.

Mak

P.S. I have a complete ready to install Ktuner setup custom made for an Insight + K24a2 if you are interested. KTuner ECU, Type S harness with correct plugs and wiring fixes (for a K24, not much to make it K20 compatible), conversion harness as well.

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
Personally I would run an ecu from an 05-06 rsx and ktuner as the chassis is more equipped to handle that. Cable throttle, cluster reads that vss signal properly. The a/c on any swap is still doable rather easy. Especially on an insight as the lines just need a slight tweaking the last I heard. Run whatever engine harness matches the ecu if you want wiring to be a minimum. As far as final drive goes, that's all your call. I know in my 8th gen it cruises at a fairly high rpm stock and personally would like it a little lower. When I do my kswap into my insight I will be using the frana 3.4 final drive to keep the rpms about the same as the stock insight to help with the mpg numbers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 3.4 is $1200 last I checked. My 4.3 was $120. I couldn't justify that cost (more than my entire running donor chassis).

Mak

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
Oh no, I totally get it. I'm still torn on the frana at 1200 vs an m factory 4.0 for 600. It took me 3 read throughs this morning (no coffee yet).

Also note, the z3 have the hall effect vss, so no additional wiring needed, the first post was slightly misleading. The accord wiring would be close like the rsx just some sensors would need to be repinning if memory serves me right. Hence the 05+ rsx suggestion of ecu and harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts