Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put a stock type s with a 4 fogger nos kit in my car for now till my my k24bottom end is done...

i was thinkin about tuning with e85.. but i hear mixed opinions about it.. example :: e85 burns fast so it doesnt mix with the nitrous well..

im doin a lil 120 shot for now i know it can be done on pump gas.. but lets say i wanted to up the shot to a 160 shot... would e85 be good for that or you think i need race gas (q16)?..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
E85 is the SHIT............... i use it on my Daily k20/k24... beats buying race GAS...= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E85 is the SHIT............... i use it on my Daily k20/k24... beats buying race GAS...= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
i know the gas is good with all motor and turbo.. but im talkin about if its mixed with nitrous .. lol

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i know the gas is good with all motor and turbo.. but im talkin about if its mixed with nitrous .. lol
its good all around..............
i have sprayed with it..........before on E85

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Do you plan on running a wet kit or a dry kit and tuning the fuel with your injectors? Im still contemplating doing e85 with a 100 direct port dry on my K20A cause I would have to run like 750cc injectors and Im not sure on how it would effect the injectors running such a low duty cycle when im not spraying.

Here is a jetting chart with e85 if your running a wet setup (last chart is the one you'd need)
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Instructions/4cyl_dpjetting.pdf

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you plan on running a wet kit or a dry kit and tuning the fuel with your injectors? Im still contemplating doing e85 with a 100 direct port dry on my K20A cause I would have to run like 750cc injectors and Im not sure on how it would effect the injectors running such a low duty cycle when im not spraying.

Here is a jetting chart with e85 if your running a wet setup (last chart is the one you'd need)
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Instructions/4cyl_dpjetting.pdf
i dont know how my tuner is going to tune it actually.. i have to ask him tomorrow .. its a direct port wet kit.. i have 1000cc precision injectors and im letting the k pro do the shooting for me.. im goin to have him make 2 different maps for me... one for all motor and the other for nitrous... im just wondering if the nitrous would mix good with e85 on 160 shot or any decent size shot... i dont really hear of to many peole using e85 with nitrous.. i usually hear of race gasor pump gas..

that link you gave me doesnt work on my computer for some reason

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Oh I see. People say nitrous + e85 is a great thing, so I dont see why you would have a problem. If your going to be tuning the fuel with the injectors you shouldnt have any problems at all. Just cap of the fuel side on the nozzle and run 1 solenoid so you only using it as a dry kit. :up:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
hmmmm.....

I spent three months tuning and racing my nitrous CRX on e85. While it works, I did not see any worthwile gains in horsepower, torque, and et's while on the bottle.

The e85 is a wallet buster as I needed to increase fuel demands as much as 18% on partial throttle and over 30% at WOT. The difference in cost at the pump here in SC is less than a couple of dimes between 93 octane and e85. The cost of increasing the injectors and replacing the fuel filter was also an issue. Finally, to add insult to injury, the gas stations here have an e85 summer blend and a winter blend, which meant knowing when they switched and re-tuning.

At the time, I did the calculations and for me running 110 unleaded was not more expensive, once you factored in all the above.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
hmmmm.....

I spent three months tuning and racing my nitrous CRX on e85. While it works, I did not see any worthwile gains in horsepower, torque, and et's while on the bottle.

The e85 is a wallet buster as I needed to increase fuel demands as much as 18% on partial throttle and over 30% at WOT. The difference in cost at the pump here in SC is less than a couple of dimes between 93 octane and e85. The cost of increasing the injectors and replacing the fuel filter was also an issue. Finally, to add insult to injury, the gas stations here have an e85 summer blend and a winter blend, which meant knowing when they switched and re-tuning.

At the time, I did the calculations and for me running 110 unleaded was not more expensive, once you factored in all the above.
Thats a good point!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmmm.....

so your pretty much sayings you dont see much of a gain using e85 compared to 93 octane..then u gotta retune when the season changes.. but to me its not much of seeing the gain that im interested in.. im goin more toward more SAFE gas when i up the shot to a bigger one.. with out using race gas.. do you have any suggestions on that?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
You are right, which is why I was looking for the best higher octane gas to use. I tried 95, 100, 110, and e85.

While all provided me with better tunes, I just expected greater results from e85, it being 105 octane. Versus 93 octane fuel, the e85 fuel gave me better whp/ftq numbers all-motor, but not with nitrous (same or less). The only one that gave me significantly better results on the bottle was 110 unleaded.

I was disappointed because back then, I spent a lot of spare time researching e85 (the fuel, how it affects your fuel system, its cleansing properties, the different blends, availability, future growth, and tuning the engine, of course). I found the best information on the NASIOC forums (Subaru) where a group of members did some extensive research and really made it work on their boosted cars.

I quit using it after tuning two all motor engines and one nitrous engine on e85. It is too bad, because it didn't matter who I struck up conversation with about e85, everyone expressed a sense of pride (myself included). Judging by what I read on the Subaru forums, there is a lot of potential with a boosted engine, though.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Damn im trying to decide what route to take as well. We only have 91 octane at the pumps here so Im not sure how big of a shot I can run on that gas. I really dont want to be runnin shitty eXX during the colder seasons either lol.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Im gonna have to disagree with your ronaldave. I have found nothing but great things with e85 and nitrous. I dont know how your not seeing gains with nitrous over 93. There is so much more timing in e85 compared to 93. So there for if your using more timing and the jets stay the same. Then there should be no reason to not make the same or more percentage of power over 93. Lets just say for an example of arguement point. If you have 5* takeout on nitrous tables on e85 and overall 35* and 25* on 93 that means you have 10* more timing...and anything I have ever experienced will make more power with more timing.

Let me know if your experiencing something different.

·
treblictuned
1,422 Posts
right dennis... but i have seen cars also that just didnt gain for e85 made the same power on 93 octane. no matter what af timing was at. it just didnt make anymore power on e85. Then have seen some cars pick up 10-15 over pumpgas with same mods. e85 will be fine for what you want to do.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah I just know what Im sticking e85 to is working. I just cant see how your not making any power compared to a 93 car. On boosted cars e85 is making almost the same power as q16 with cooler egt's.

·
treblictuned
1,422 Posts
correct e85 is awesome on turbo setups, i was talking about all motor/nitrous. Ive seen all motor cars not gain anything over pump gas with it. then seen others gain 10-15. id still use e85 though.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts