·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
more cutting

Hood Motor vehicle Blue Vehicle Vehicle door

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

A little extra chamfer off the right

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Musical instrument Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

clearance on left

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

on right side - wiring has to move

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

REALLY close to torque mount

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle Automotive wheel system

base of runners have to be revised - can't use the slip joints here- not enough depth

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Maybe extend the runners and place the 4-2 runners in this area. Definitely going to take some work to get this fitted. I've ordered some 2" mandrel bends to work with on this. Any thoughts on impact of extending the main runner length leading to the 4-2 junctions? I don't see any other way here. The alternative would be to shorten the main runners & try to fit the 4-2 collectors in the engine bay area. I don't see that happening though.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

I may also need to shorten the 4-2 collectors. Any thoughts on impact of that?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Drinkware Automotive exterior Fender

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
What doe dampfhammer mean? I think it is lost in translation.

I have a 'cheap' TIG - it is an Eastwood 200 model - in the US, it is around $800 for the main component, probably around $1000 or so once all the necessary items are added.
i have a Eastwood Tig 200. it does High Freq. for aluminum. i love the booger, it just is not made the same way as a Miller or Lincoln in many ways. However it will get the job done with a average duty cycle performance for $1000.

On a side note, the new Lincoln 140MP I bought is awesome. it does tig foot pedal, scratch start, hardwire MIG, fluxcore with gas, and stick. Another nice unit for $1,200 once it is all said and done that runs on 120V 25A. Look it up man.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Are you getting the header coated? some type of heat tape on the back of the valve cover or a heat shield would be even easier to make at first glance and it would keep the heat from the header pre-maturely wearing the valve cover gasket. Also the heat soak would be smart to block as best as possible sir.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Are you getting the header coated? some type of heat tape on the back of the valve cover or a heat shield would be even easier to make at first glance and it would keep the heat from the header pre-maturely wearing the valve cover gasket. Also the heat soak would be smart to block as best as possible sir.
I'm planning on ceramic coating. Nowhere local, and it's not cheap, however I do need to do all I can to mitigate heat transfer. Jet-Hot is one possible resource I'm looking at for this. Around $400 for two part header.

·
Registered
697 Posts
do it like the professionals let it get wrapped and welded in thin dimpled stainless steel foil.
Cosworth V12 for Aston martin.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Had time today to play with the headers

After several back & forth, I figured out the amounts to cut the rear runners (1,2) back to get the additions high enough for the forward runner extensions to fit below

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Auto part

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car

Once I got all 4 in place I clamped them together & cut all 4 back. That wasn't enough cut back for them to snake in place - marked them in this pic, to show where the next cut needed to be

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

#3 needed to be raised - so I had to shorten the runner 1/2" to get the lift needed

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Mode of transport

Clamped all four together to get an even cut through all 4 - the last time they also moved around

Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Gas Auto part Nickel

Cut on the band saw this time also, instead of with the sawsall

Automotive tire Musical instrument Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Cut ends all had to be expanded to allow the original slip-fit sections to be used over. Have to weld those into the extensions, then weld 3 & 4 to the headers, then weld 1 & 2. Once that's all secure, I can start to figure out the 4-2 and 2-1 collector placement

Bicycle part Musical instrument Font Auto part Art

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
watching a plan develop in 3D is fun. thank you for sharing.

SS round files are king. I use McMaster Carr. Those things last forever and aluminum hardly sticks to them. At my old job QC would bitch about files on SS projects, so I ordered all SS files for the welders and fitters.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
respect to you building your own header
Thank you - although, I'm just modding an existing product. :)

I looked at that welder you mentioned, for the hobbyist amount of welding I do, the Eastwood is sufficient - I did add a water-cooled torch setup, which made a big difference in increasing work time & torch temps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
Got another 2 hours in today

got the slip joint situation figured out - Tacked the joints and 4 - 3 runner extensions

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Musical instrument Drum Automotive lighting Idiophone Motor vehicle

Had to remove a section of the ridge weld to get the header to snake in place - I will seam weld that later

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Vehicle

goes in like this...

Light Motor vehicle Red Bumper Automotive exterior

Snug fit - but it tips back/ down under load, so hopefully it won't whack the upper brace too often

Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exhaust Automotive tire

checking 4-2 collectors in situ

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Red

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Light

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Rim

I'll have to figure out how to get the 2-1 collectors in place - I'm likely going to have to cut it before the bungs & add the V Band there. I need 14" at least to the left of the flange to fit the cat & "U" bend leading back into the muffler. I don't see being able to make the two pipes equal length, as the 4-2 collectors are currently side-by-side

Bumper Bicycle handlebar Pliers Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
watching a plan develop in 3D is fun. thank you for sharing.

SS round files are king. I use McMaster Carr. Those things last forever and aluminum hardly sticks to them. At my old job QC would bitch about files on SS projects, so I ordered all SS files for the welders and fitters.
This is my file drawer

Product Wood Tool Gas Metal

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
All I had time for today was to weld the 3 & 4 runner extensions & the slip joint collars

For me, sleeve joints make for ugly welds. I couldn't do these with butt-welds however.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the 1 & 2 extensions welded

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Bicycle Crankset

Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Muffler Motor vehicle

121 - 140 of 156 Posts