Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,025 Posts
Give it a nudge. I tried to make my own. It runs......
Just saw your header @Bjorn. What lengths does primary and secondary have, measured from flange till crossing point of the two stream filaments (center lines) for primaries and for secondaries from crossing point till crossing point? It looks like 400 mm/280 mm, which would fit quite well a 86x86 drag engine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
That specific header is designed and hand crafted by @HusseinHolland. The DAMPFHAMMER header design is definitely different. As I said before, this specific 4-1 pipe lengths is designed for the support of around 9400 rpm and it misses much support down low, as there are no relevant resonances beside at around 6300 rpm. My approach would be different for this engine. A short 4-2-1 design which has support engine speed points at 7700/5800/5200/3800 rpm. It would be able to be integrated here, it would adapt the capability and peak power engine speed of the intake manifold. The output of that setup would be a much more stronger torque curve from 3000-7800 rpm as a result of a well more advanced VTC because the scavenging efficiency will come down where it should be. This would not need the DAMPFHAMMER technology to out performe the actual design, but it would need a well designed pipe routing to arrange all exhaust components in the compartement.
OK - so when I cut up the ram header to make it (hopefully) fit - I need to get 2-1 collectors to make it 4-2-1 design, correct?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Nice work, looks like it came from factory like that.
Thank you - that was the intention - it is very close to factory appearance. To make the NA system adapt, I did have to modify the fuel rail (for adjustable regulator, 5th injector & pressure gauge), but besides that most components from the Turbo model just bolt on. I did convert all the hoses to quick-connect style tubing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Is that the dampfhammer header? I really need a tig welder.
What doe dampfhammer mean? I think it is lost in translation.

I have a 'cheap' TIG - it is an Eastwood 200 model - in the US, it is around $800 for the main component, probably around $1000 or so once all the necessary items are added.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,025 Posts
OK - so when I cut up the ram header to make it (hopefully) fit - I need to get 2-1 collectors to make it 4-2-1 design, correct?
You would need 3 Y-mergers or 3 pieces of 2-1 collectors to fab a 4-2-1 header system.

What doe dampfhammer mean? I think it is lost in translation.
DAMPFHAMMER is a technology I have developed for a world record torque curve approach. You may translate it into steam hammer. For me it implicit's a huge fast hitting force, which hits the pistons. The background is a combination of VE and combustion improving technologies. My very first DAMPFHAMMER engine is a 86x86 K-series allmotor or NA engine. It made 200 [email protected] rpm, then the gearbox gave up on the dyno. You can follow the progress on my built threat (2) You want to win up to $50? The 86.5x86 rebuild question! | Page 45 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum. There I tell you everything about engine development ;).

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,022 Posts
You would need 3 Y-mergers or 3 pieces of 2-1 collectors to fab a 4-2-1 header system.

DAMPFHAMMER is a technology I have developed for a world record torque curve approach. You may translate it into steam hammer. For me it implicit's a huge fast hitting force, which hits the pistons. The background is a combination of VE and combustion improving technologies. My very first DAMPFHAMMER engine is a 86x86 K-series allmotor or NA engine. It made 200 [email protected] rpm, then the gearbox gave up on the dyno. You can follow the progress on my built threat (2) You want to win up to $50? The 86.5x86 rebuild question! | Page 45 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum. There I tell you everything about engine development ;).
I am ready to see the 2022 finished edition 👍

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just saw your header @Bjorn. What lengths does primary and secondary have, measured from flange till crossing point of the two stream filaments (center lines) for primaries and for secondaries from crossing point till crossing point? It looks like 400 mm/280 mm, which would fit quite well a 86x86 drag engine.
Pretty close. After some internet calculators and searching I was aiming for 380/220 but my fab skills didn't quite match what I was aiming for. Hard to measure but ended up closer to 400/220ish

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,025 Posts
Pretty close. After some internet calculators and searching I was aiming for 380/220 but my fab skills didn't quite match what I was aiming for. Hard to measure but ended up closer to 400/220ish
Depending on your measurement accuracy and exhaust gas temperature the supported engine speeds are: 9040 rpm, 6420 rpm, 6027 rpm and 4280 rpm. That means, there where the OEM IM support most your header will boost also, will give you a strong torque peak on a 86x86 engine. On a 87x99 it would be a different story. Best supporter engine speed, which is 9040 rpm is for most setups not utilizable as stock near head flow and IM won't support it. Would mean a lot of modifications on port and IM to play it's potential. What engine setup will get or got this beast of header?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't want to jack this thread but Stock k20a with rrc intake. Full 3 inch exhaust

How much extra length would bring me into the usable realms of the stock engine and intake manifold?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I don't want to jack this thread but Stock k20a with rrc intake. Full 3 inch exhaust
No worries here.

I finally did the compression & leak down tests, and put in new plugs NGK 1ZFR6K11 gapped @ .035" - I'm going back to the dyno to re-tune tomorrow, he recommended the gap based on expected performance.

Compression was 200 even on all 4 cylinders (hot engine, throttle open)

I could not find any leakage doing the leak down test afterwards - made sure each cylinder was TDC - couldn't hear any leakage via exhaust, intake or dipstick. I'm assuming the issue is (one or more ) valve seal on #4 - the plug is wet with oil

4 3. 2. 1

also got the US Acura trim cover to hide the backwards facing "HONDA" - flipped the emblem

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,022 Posts
No worries here.

I finally did the compression & leak down tests, and put in new plugs NGK 1ZFR6K11 gapped @ .035" - I'm going back to the dyno to re-tune tomorrow, he recommended the gap based on expected performance.

Compression was 200 even on all 4 cylinders (hot engine, throttle open)

I could not find any leakage doing the leak down test afterwards - made sure each cylinder was TDC - couldn't hear any leakage via exhaust, intake or dipstick. I'm assuming the issue is (one or more ) valve seal on #4 - the plug is wet with oil

View attachment 105122

View attachment 105123

4 3. 2. 1
View attachment 105124

also got the US Acura trim cover to hide the backwards facing "HONDA" - flipped the emblem

View attachment 105125
The spark plug cover was a pretty good idea. Glad to hear the engine has even compression and I hope your tune goes well 👍👍

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

So, when you work with the 4-2-1 setup, which cylinders do you want to merge in the first 2-1 collectors? Do you follow firing order 1-3 in one 2-1 & then 4-2 in the next 2-1 collector? Or is it just a question of what can be made to fit? Looking around, most 2-1 collectors are bulky, so I may need to make my own like Bjorn & just slice two pipes into one output.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,025 Posts
I could not find any leakage doing the leak down test afterwards - made sure each cylinder was TDC - couldn't hear any leakage via exhaust, intake or dipstick.
Did you process the leakdown test at 1 bar like the picture shows it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Did you process the leakdown test at 1 bar like the picture shows it?
I raised the pressure until the leakage gauge sits at 0. It only took one bar to get the leakage gauge to rise to "0". If there is leakage, either the gauge will not stay at zero, or additional pressure has to be introduced to keep the leakage gauge from dropping. I could not hear any leaks via the crankcase, intake or exhaust (or cooling system, as it did with the bad head gasket previously)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
As always, it depends. The short headers should have 1-4 and 2-3 mergers, which feed the secondaries.
The question was pertaining to the ram header I am planning on (hopefully) making fit my bay

it looks like they have 1-3 & 4-2 paired, so if I convert to 4-2-1 it seems easier to keep that arrangement?

·
Registered
697 Posts
This is how S1 Lotus Elise looks like. My car in front of my old office.

The red one mentioned before is what one could consider a S3 build from 2004 onwards featuring a Toyota drivetrain.
Markus‘ car is a kind of similar looking S2 build from 2001 to 2004 with a Rover engine like my S1.

The S1 and S2 Elise with the Rover engine were never US compliant and very few S1 Elise were legally imported as track only cars without a US compliant VIN.
As of next year, S1 can be legally imported to the US as they are now getting 25 years old.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,025 Posts
it looks like they have 1-3 & 4-2 paired, so if I convert to 4-2-1 it seems easier to keep that arrangement?
Would be very strange and uneven in power over the cylinders. It is likely the merger plane is front to rear-directed and they combine 1-4 and 2-3. We need a look more to the mergers. Are there photos available to proove it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Would be very strange and uneven in power over the cylinders. It is likely the merger plane is front to rear-directed and they combine 1-4 and 2-3. We need a look more to the mergers. Are there photos available to proove it?
You are correct. -1&4 2&3 - I found a pic that shows the other side

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,025 Posts
The question was pertaining to the ram header I am planning on (hopefully) making fit my bay
I was checking out an above-flange-oval-style header system too for the Elise. There was no way to make it possible, even if the engine can't turn around the mounts by torque as torque bar is a fixed link, it would have radiated too much heat to the chassis and valve cover sealing. The idea to have 80 % of the length already done shortly before turning into the rear direction from vertical plane is smart, but not working in a Lotus Elise chassis pre '03. I am not sure how much clearance you have between flange pipe turn and chassis, but you need at least 2 x OD + 20 mm pipe clearance plus 30 mm chassis clearance. You may be able to lower it when you insulate it.

This is how S1 Lotus Elise looks like. My car in front of my old office.
Very nice picture @Lotus :love:

81 - 100 of 155 Posts