Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Just got back from Church Auto today where they recently finished building and tuning my 2006 RSX Type S. Thought I'd post the dyno sheet here for everyone's research purposes since everyone's threads on here helped me figure out what to get for this tune. It is mean as hell and a pleasure to drive on the freeway and street with the torque down low. Thanks everyone here for the advice and technical discussion!

This is a daily driver with occasional track days (maybe 2-3x/year)

OEM K20Z1 Head, Cams, Valvetrain
K24A4 Short Block
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Studs
OEM Fuel Pump & Injectors
87.5mm Wiseco 12.5:1 Pistons
K1 Technologies I-beam Forged Connecting Rods
Modified High Flow Port & Extra Spring Pressure K20 Oil Pump
K20 Oil Pan
K20 Oil Cooler
RBC Intake Manifold
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
OEM K20Z1 Throttlebody with Karcepts Adapter
Fujita CAI
Wavetrac LSD
TSX 6th Gear
Invidia Header
Invidia Q300 Exhaust
Hondata K Pro
California 91 Octane Grossness

Sidenotes:
Also way too much power for 1st and 2nd gear with okay Ventus V12 Evo tires...I'd imagine a crappy (relative to power:weight) 1/4 with anything less than drag radials.

Don't plan to take it much above 7500-7800 since I worry about piston speeds with the 99mm stroke. Looks like the the biggest thing holding it back now is the stock cams.

Anyhow - enjoy! More updates to come as I drive it a bit more.

So far :)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also for sale in Southern California:

K20Z1 Block with spun bearing (can include k20 oil pump)
OEM Type S Header
OEM Type S Cat-Back Exhaust
OEM PRB ECU
OEM PRB Intake Manifold
OEM 2006 O2 Sensor

Accepting local pickup offers via PM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People rev simple build 87.5x99 motors to 9000 rpm without issues. TBH, I don't see the point of building the block if you're not even gonna rev to 8000 rpm...?
I can still take it to 8000+ when I want (limit set to 8200) but I personally know someone who bent a rod running their k24 daily driver over 8k so I'd rather not constantly test that limit. The piston speed with the 99mm stroke is insane...

99mm stroke x 8200 rpm = 811,800 mm/min
Divide that by 86mm to get the k20 equivalent rpm for that speed....Revving a k24 to 8200 is like revving a K20 to 9400rpm+.

It's a DD so yes babying it as long as its not on the track :)

·
USDM > *
5,453 Posts
I am aware. You sound like you have been indoctrinated by Church's (à la Joe Mac - rest in peace). Joe used to preach piston speeds but lots of people rev these motors without issues, that's all I'm saying.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you upgrade cams at the same time?

BTW, the numbers look really low, especially when you consider this was dyno'd at Church's. Several people have posted similar builds (built block, stock cams) and made 270+ on a dynojet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am aware. You sound like you have been indoctrinated by Church's (à la Joe Mac - rest in peace). Joe used to preach piston speeds but lots of people rev these motors without issues, that's all I'm saying.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you upgrade cams at the same time?

BTW, the numbers look really low, especially when you consider this was dyno'd at Church's. Several people have posted similar builds (built block, stock cams) and made 270+ on a dynojet.
It's a conservative tune since its a DD on 91 octane and 93 degrees ambient temp during dyno. I'll do cams eventually just didn't want to spend extra time waiting for DC 2.2s after how long I went without my DD getting all the parts together. I'm aware the dynapack reads higher than a dynojet - I'm cool with probably 250 dynojet equivalent. TBH I feel like I need better tires and brakes now more than cams

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's a conservative tune since its a DD on 91 octane and 93 degrees ambient temp during dyno. I'll do cams eventually just didn't want to spend extra time waiting for DC 2.2s after how long I went without my DD getting all the parts together. I'm aware the dynapack reads higher than a dynojet - I'm cool with probably 250 dynojet equivalent. TBH I feel like I need better tires and brakes now more than cams
269 on church's is about 242 whp.

My friends k20 with fd2 cylinder head, ported RRC manifold, cams, skunk2 megapower header, 3" exhaust and custom 3.5" intake made 272 on that dyno.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jesus Christ church's dynow is so high lol. Fia, nice little build you got there. Welcome to the big block club, enjoy!
Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm still a little scared to go WOT over 5k rpm but I'm going to have to...Feels nice to not have to downshift every time I want to speed up. I think I've seen videos of your car on Youtube - I'd love some tips on drag racing and road racing setup and technique!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm still a little scared to go WOT over 5k rpm but I'm going to have to...Feels nice to not have to downshift every time I want to speed up. I think I've seen videos of your car on Youtube - I'd love some tips on drag racing and road racing setup and technique!
Nope not mine, never raced my car nor do I have any videos on youtube lol. If Church broke it in on the dyno then you are fine get on that bitch.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
i bet the car feels great. midrange can get pretty crazy with oem cams and a 2.4. we just saw 200wtq on our jet with a friggin crv bottom end, k20 prb head and k20z3 cams. couldnt beleive it. we just tuned an all out 99x87 motor that made 325whp and it never peaked 200torque.

the whole 7700 rpms thing all i can say is this forum has forsaken you and robbing you of having fun.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just got back from Church Auto today where they recently finished building and tuning my 2006 RSX Type S. Thought I'd post the dyno sheet here for everyone's research purposes since everyone's threads on here helped me figure out what to get for this tune. It is mean as hell and a pleasure to drive on the freeway and street with the torque down low. Thanks everyone here for the advice and technical discussion!

This is a daily driver with occasional track days (maybe 2-3x/year)

OEM K20Z1 Head, Cams, Valvetrain
K24A4 Short Block
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Studs
OEM Fuel Pump & Injectors
87.5mm Wiseco 12.5:1 Pistons
K1 Technologies I-beam Forged Connecting Rods
Modified High Flow Port & Extra Spring Pressure K20 Oil Pump
K20 Oil Pan
K20 Oil Cooler
RBC Intake Manifold
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
OEM K20Z1 Throttlebody with Karcepts Adapter
Fujita CAI
Wavetrac LSD
TSX 6th Gear
Invidia Header
Invidia Q300 Exhaust
Hondata K Pro
California 91 Octane Grossness

Sidenotes:
Also way too much power for 1st and 2nd gear with okay Ventus V12 Evo tires...I'd imagine a crappy (relative to power:weight) 1/4 with anything less than drag radials.

Don't plan to take it much above 7500-7800 since I worry about piston speeds with the 99mm stroke. Looks like the the biggest thing holding it back now is the stock cams.

Anyhow - enjoy! More updates to come as I drive it a bit more.

So far :)
Y prb cam? How about z1 or z3 n stock k24 cams

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.