Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The quality of the header is amazing. A true work of art. The welds are polished and overall the header looks great. The sections, give the future option of converting from 4-2-1 to 4-1.

It took exactly 4 weeks to make and the cost was around $1200-1300

The power it makes is proven and a dyno is coming soon.

Here are some pics. Again, thank you Danny. This is the header I need to make 230WHP with only K pro and tuning.

·
Registered
122 Posts
sloboy_hatch said:
Once I am done with my swap I will definately be buying a header like that. Just seems a little costly let me know if its worth it.
well you don't too many options out there.

the comptech TSX header is $600 or so and has nowhere near the dyno numbers

your only other choice is to get a custom header which is going to run you near $1000

·
Registered
100 Posts
whats the diameter on the collector of that header?

·
Registered
100 Posts
who designed the header? i was just curious why the (1st and 2nd) and the (3rd and 4th) ports are grouped...from most designs that i have seen for 4-2-1, the 1st and 4th are grouped together, and the 3rd and 4th are grouped together.

·
Registered
303 Posts
nikos said:
22crazy said:
whats the diameter on the collector of that header?
2.5 inches
actually Nikos.. the collector throat is only 2 3/8 its just has a 2 1/2 pipe slipped over it and welded .... it keeps my cost down and does nothing in term of performance losses compared to using a 2 3/8 transition to 2 1/2 pipe

·
Registered
78 Posts
22crazy said:
who designed the header? i was just curious why the (1st and 2nd) and the (3rd and 4th) ports are grouped...from most designs that i have seen for 4-2-1, the 1st and 4th are grouped together, and the 3rd and 4th are grouped together.
CORRECTION :D

Actually the DTR has the 1st and 3rd ports are grouped, and the 2nd and 4th ports grouped....

Comptech and DC have theirs the with the 1st and 4th ports grouped, and the 2nd and 3rd ports grouped...

Does this really make a difference? i mean other than the size of the pipe... which really makes a difference...according to the dyno....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Is it just me or is this a year old thread? :cool:

Anyway, I'm going to be looking for a header for my car soon, and was wondering if anyone has contact info for DTR? I checked their profile, but the website they have listed is no good.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks guys. I've got a K24A2 in an '02 EP. DTR doesn't have that application listed (and I would have been suprised if anyone did) so its probably going to be a custom job. I've never had custom headers done, but I assume they would need the car since I'm in Atlanta I don't think I'm going to ship my car out to the Bay area. :(

Anybody know of any good places in the southeast that can do custom headers for me?

I'll call DTR just to see if they can do it without the car too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i was looking at the dyno graph and was wondering if that showed the gains with the header vs without it, because if it did, it didn't seem like it made that much power. maybe i am confused and that is something different, but was wondering if someone could clear this up for me. thanks
-Zach

·
Registered
42 Posts
DTLandLTD said:
i was looking at the dyno graph and was wondering if that showed the gains with the header vs without it, because if it did, it didn't seem like it made that much power. maybe i am confused and that is something different, but was wondering if someone could clear this up for me. thanks
-Zach

when we did the intial testing, there was no header to test against becuase the factory exhauast manifold does not fit correctly into an eg/ek/dc chassis... so we just tuned the motor for max horsepower with the header

but for comparision you can look at the output of a stock k20a2 in an rsx and compare point to point hp on two different graphs. hope that helps

·
Registered
433 Posts
bpr0422 said:
CORRECTION :D

Actually the DTR has the 1st and 3rd ports are grouped, and the 2nd and 4th ports grouped....

Comptech and DC have theirs the with the 1st and 4th ports grouped, and the 2nd and 3rd ports grouped...

Does this really make a difference? i mean other than the size of the pipe... which really makes a difference...according to the dyno....
This certainly makes a difference. I think these are designed this way for simplicity and cost effectiveness. I think the decision was made to simplify the process of equalizing the length of the primaries.

Grouping two consecutive exhausting ports though will certainly effect scavenging. Generally the idea of seperating consecutive ports with a high rpm engine is to allow time for the initial pressure increase after exhaust valve opening to travel the length of the primaries, exert energy in the more stagnant "head" of pressure at the collector, refract to the ajacent port, then cause a rarefaction and a consequent below atmoshperic pressure drop [hopefully] at overlap.

Without really doing the math on this I cannot quote true wave frequency data (I also need to know the particular application it was being used on, as piston speed, cam duration/lift, bore, and port area all effect the calculated ft/sec that the exhaust pulse will travel), but my instinct tells me that this would cause the header to begin effective scavenging at a much higher rpm than would be achieved if the non consecutive ports were joined.

I must admit though, that using a series of bifurcations is harder to predict and analyze versus a single collector design, at least given my circumstances. The short primaries will certainly create a higher initial pressure wave as the exhaust valve opens, so whether or not the adjacent port which will be above atmospheric at overlap given their connection would require more investigation to say, but my instinct tells me that it would. As a result, scavenging and volumetric efficiency would suffer.

Major car manufacturers, header design companies, and fabricators all stand by the non consecutive active port design, so breaking away from that has to be the result of design simplicity and/or cost savings.

BPR0422...When speaking in terms of a header which provides predictable performance, effective scavenging, and the result of increased VE, everything matters. Pipe diameter, primary length (length and equality), collector merge angle, arrangement and transition from port to header entry all have true effect on performance.

Exhaust design is very complicated. You have to consider logistics foremost, then apply theory and fact in order to produce a design which should perform as expected. Pretty much everything is a balance of compromises in order to come up with the most effective solution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts