Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a K20 Eg Coupe and just picked up a set of MT 20x6x14 slicks to fool around with at the track... What do you guys think would be the best RPM to launch at? and How soon after should I shift in to second? Will i have traction or not what you guys think? I have never ran slicks before just wondering how much differnt it will be.

·
Registered
185 Posts
those slicks are too small. you'll be shifting your brains out and probably run out of gear. you need 23 inch slicks and you should just pass the finish line in the top of fourth gear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info... If i have anything below a 2.0 I will be happy. My street tires I have now couldn't cut below a 2.3. So. Yeah

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Track opens tomorrow and it looks like its goign to be a gorgeous day.... SO will my setup I am going to be happy with anything 13.5 and lower.... Any other tips on how I might be able to exceed my goal? I heard from one friend that a way that some people on here get their best times is to continue spinning through first until you're almost about to get traction again and shift into second early with a little bit of spin, and then rev second out... Any ideas on this? I am looking for all the help I can get before seat time.... So that it will take as little seat time as possible to get where I want to go! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I heated them up a little bit the first pass and a lot more the second pass for good measure.

First pass at full weight with me and a passenger and It cut a 13.5 @ 101.5 with a 1.99 60'
I was quite surprised at how easily it did this... I only launched at 5k and it felt like it just grabbed and we went! Wow what a feeling that was to finally have traction from a launch! The second pass would have been even better because I drove with only me in the car, and I cut a 1.90 60' while lauching at 6200, again Just hooking and gone.... BUTTT For one of the rare time's I actually miss shift... I couldn't get second to save my life lol... and so I cut a 13.8 at 102.3.... I was able to just bounch of the rev limiter in that run at the very top of forth but Had I not missed getting into second on the first run I have no doubt that I could have cut a 13.2-13.3.... and shifting into 5th lol... So I guess the next thing after I get more practice with these tires. I will get a taller tire so that I can be crossing the finish right at the top of forth and MAYBE be running 12's...!! :D so there ya go!

13.5 @ 101.5, 1.99 60' 2700 lbs
13.8 @ 102.3, 1.90 60' 2550 lbs

Must Say I am happy with the results especially with some of the pessimistic responses I got on here. Thanks for those who did have useful information.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great start, on the taller tire, what axles are U running, cause if oem axles a big Launch can snap them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I am definitely not worried about mine then lol, not that I was worried about snapping them before.... I am running DSS level 2.9's

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well seeing as how my axels are warrentied and good to 450 wheel horsepower... I am not so worried because I am making just over 10 lol and only 150 torque.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Seriously are you not reading my post? I am not running OEM axels so stop telling me to be careful.
I know that you are running dss axles ...and i'm not even talking to you...i'm just trying to point something out to the other guys that oem axles are just as durable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts