Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
39,473 Posts
So here's the down low on my Drag Cartel DIC dyno K20R results on 8/24/11.

First off a big thanks to Jeremy Lookofsky for lending me a set of DIC cams for testing and Erick's Racing for tuning!

As a recap (a couple posts back), I dyno'd '06 TSX cams in my K20R back in April (in 80 degree weather mind you) which netted me a decent 232whp/153wtq. Not ultra disappointing results but not great either vs. my tuned OEM K20R cams which put down 228whp/153wtq. Originally, I was under the impression 06-08 TSX cams would blow R cams out the water, but that wasn't the case...well with my motor at least. Others may beg to differ. I also tested a mixed cam setup back in April too, putting the - ITR intake cam + 06 TSX exhaust cam - to the test, which I found once tuned, that I lost power...approx. 15hp. I didn't get to test the reverse of that cam combo until now...

So, it was a hot day to begin with.
I eventually found it was the hottest day on record for this day in Baldwin Park....fkn awesome! Anyways, got to Erick's at high noon and it was about 85 degrees already. We did a couple baseline pulls at around 1pm and by then it was 90 degrees. These baseline pulls were made with an '06 TSX intake cam + ITR exhaust cam. The pulls were made using the tuned calibration from my April's TSX best tune.

pull 1 (with my 90 degree 3" intake tube) - put down 217.5hp/144.7tq
pull 2 (threw on pwjdm intake w/no filter) - put down 218.8hp/145.3tq

I tripped out on the loss of power which ironically, was approx. the same results back in April when I ran ITR intake/TSX exhaust cams! FML! Now I wish I friggin had both TSX cams in for some better baseline numbers :mad:

Here's the graph for these 2 baseline pulls:

At 1:10 I pulled the OEM mixed cams out and installed the DC DIC's, mind you, the heat was on the rise. It took me about 2hours to install the DIC's too; was like the longest cam install evar! Valve adjustment was a fkn nightmare btw too. Erick stepped out for a bit and we didn't get back into dynoing until 5pm, which by then was 97 fkn degrees!

The first pull on the DIC's were pretty decent givin the hot conditions. Made 222whp and there was no loss in power anywhere on the graph against the baseline mixed cam pulls thankfully. So this was a good sign. I wasn't keeping on eye on what Erick was tuning, I was just watching the dyno graph on the computer screen everytime he made a pull and power was being made...222...225...228...then finally 232. After that it was just fine tuning tweaks where Erick reached 233.8whp/149.9wtq and is what I ended up making....in 97 degree hot n humid weather.

Here's the baseline vs tuned DIC graph:

I had Erick overlay April's tuned TSX graph (dotted green) with the new DIC tuned graph (solid green), and here it is:

...interesting results eh?

Now, here's a graph of all 3 of my best tunes all of which have the same engine mods only the cams were swapped out and tuned - ITR cams from '09 (yellow), TSX cams april '11 (green), and DIC's august '11 (purple):

ITR tuned: 228/153
TSX tuned: 232/153
DIC tuned: 234/150 ... so I gained approx 2hp w/DIC's and lost a little torque

:rolleyes:

So there you have it .....for now....but this isn't over!
I'm going back to Erick's when Fall rolls in, perhaps late Sept. or sometime in October or whenever friggin So.Cal temps drop back down to 75-80 degree weather to test/see what cooler temps do for the DIC cams.

Some additional photos...

Removing OEM cams...

DIC's...

Installed...

proof...

thanks for reading..
Thanks for linking.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Now, here's a graph of all 3 of my best tunes all of which have the same engine mods only the cams were swapped out and tuned - ITR cams from '09 (yellow), TSX cams april '11 (green), and DIC's august '11 (purple):

ITR tuned: 228/153
TSX tuned: 232/153
DIC tuned: 234/150 ... so I gained approx 2hp w/DIC's and lost a little torque

:rolleyes:
You lost a little torque everywhere it looks like. Are you going to run them in the car?
Do you have an adjustable exhaust cam gear?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to knock your tuning but a friend of mine has the dic cams and he made a little over 20whp on what you made.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dyno sheet and mod list?
Don't have one. He's one of those ppl that think his dyno numbers should be top secret. He's got a hytec header, rbc, 1000cc injectors on e85. He made 258whp.

I've seen stock motors make 235whp on z3 cams on e85 even on shitty k-tuned headers. Now this I do have a graph and vid of.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Don't have one. He's one of those ppl that think his dyno numbers should be top secret. He's got a hytec header, rbc, 1000cc injectors on e85. He made 258whp.

I've seen stock motors make 235whp on z3 cams on e85 even on shitty k-tuned headers. Now this I do have a graph and vid of.
Post it up in the dyno sticky :up:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Just a cam change will not net you alot of power over what you had if you don't allow more air in and out.

What im saying, is that if old cams made good power with the intake and header that you have, that dasent mean that the new cams will respond the same to the same intake and header.

Just a header change that allows more exhaust gasses to escape at the right time and the right ammount, can get you more tq/hp if it works hand in hand with the cams and the motor set up.

All im saying is that is hard to do a comparisson between cams or even headers and intake manifolds.

Take your motor and wrap everyting to work hand in hand with each othert to make the best power.

Stefan

·
Registered
444 Posts
bump cuz id really like to see what this motor will do now in the colder weather

do you think 250whp is possible?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump cuz id really like to see what this motor will do now in the colder weather

do you think 250whp is possible?
i dont think so.
Maybe 5-7 more ponies is what i'm hopin for. If i gain 10whp just from cooler ambient temps i'll be pretty damb stoked.

btw I hit the track last saturday and damb...motor just wants to rev out! i hit 9200rpm like nothing now. no top end struggling in comparison to my R/TSX cams. the very top end is where the DIC's shined on the dyno over ITR/TSX cams too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i dont think so.
Maybe 5-7 more ponies is what i'm hopin for. If i gain 10whp just from cooler ambient temps i'll be pretty damb stoked.

btw I hit the track last saturday and damb...motor just wants to rev out! i hit 9200rpm like nothing now. no top end struggling in comparison to my R/TSX cams. the very top end is where the DIC's shined on the dyno over ITR/TSX cams too.
9200 on a stock k20? :eek: i wish my k24 was that rev happy!

·
Registered
444 Posts
i dont think so.

so what do you think you would have to do to get to 250?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bigger cams stage 2 or 3's, maybe higher compression w/some head work along with intake manifold porting or even changing up the intake system as a whole to an IPS style intake mani w/mustang t/b.

·
USDM > *
4,858 Posts
I wonder if that "feeling" of better top end is just an illusion from the fact that you've lost a significant amount of low end TQ (there is quite alot of TQ loss in terms of AUC). Peak TQ is a misleading number to use to compare before and after losses. I ask because the dyno clearly does not support the notion that "the top end is where the DICs shine."

Just curious.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts