Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First through fourth dog conversion for Honda K series proven to withstand over 900 wheel horsepower and 650 ft-lbs torque in 9 second cars.

This dog conversion is guaranteed against breakage for one year. This new batch will be stronger than anything we've produced so far. This guarantee does not cover wear. It is to be used for drag racing only, has no oil passages, and no 5th and 6th gear.

Current ratios are:
1st 3.08
2nd 1.88
3rd 1.45
4th 1.13
This was designed for all motor cars running the 4.7 or 5.06 final drive, trapping around 130mph.

What we need is feedback on what ratios we should make next. Based on suggestions from a few drag racers running turbo cars we are thinking:
1st 2.50
2nd 1.72
3rd 1.23
4th 0.96
With the 4.1 final drive.

Why should you get in on this group buy? Aside from getting the strongest K series dog conversion on the market for only $4500, if we have at least two customers request the same gear ratios we will make whatever ratios you want! We are making eight sets which will be done in March. This package includes a new 3rd/4th shift fork and bearings. You will have to cut the C shaped portion off of your OEM 5th gear shift fork. This does not include a final drive. All of our customers are running the Honda final drive with no failures so far. Javier is running the 4.1 and it has been in his car for years while we've developed this gearset. The 4.7 seems to hold up well in all motor cars.
The Honda part numbers for the 4.1 final drive are:
Ring Gear (41233-RAP-000)
Countershaft (23221-RAP-000)

We require a $2250 deposit to pick your ratios and get one reserved, another $2250 before delivery. Free shipping in the lower 48. All of our parts are made in northern Illinois.

Below are the easiest and strongest ratios we can make:
Nothing numerically higher than 1.45 in 3rd or 4th.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm currently running these Dog Gears in an all motor set up with no breakage issues. Gears are holding up fine. It's been close to two seasons and they're still running strong. Thumbs up to John for making a great product.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Frana Vehicle Dog Box!!!

I have been involved since day one on the Frana Vehicle Dog Box. It's been a pleasure dealing with John who is always willing to make improvements on his product. The fact that he is in the states makes it a lot easier to get in contact with. During the early revisions we were able to find the weak points and made them stronger. Just last year alone I made a total of 32 mixed 1/8, 1/4 mile passes and a total of 40 dyno pulls at high boost with the previous revision.

One thing that I can say is that I have been able to load 650 foot pounds of torque without any problems.

I am proud to say that this will be one of the strongest K-series Dog Box in the market, I feel that John is so confident on his product that who in the Dog Box market will offer one year guarantee, " You Can't Beat That"!!!

Fell free to post your question about Frana Vehicle Dog Box, I'll be more then glad to answer them.

Javier Loarca.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I could vouch for John Frana and Javier, This Dog Box is one of the best out in the market and best of all you got 1yr warranty. Also John has never had a problem on fixing where it needs to be improved, that's why he likes to get feed back from the customers. I can't compare my All Motor set up against Javiers Turbo set up and the power he is making 900 hp and 650 ft tq, but when I saw it for myself I knew this Dog Box was going to handle it without a problem. So next thing I did is send John the money in full for my Dog Box he gave me my delivery date, sure enough with 3 days before the due date I had my Dog Box, it gave me time to put it together and make the last event of the year and did 3 passes on it that day.

On a stock tranny I would have broken 2nd gear on the second pass, I got 8 passes back to back from this weekend on a test n tune day and I drove the hell out of it.

This Dog Box works Perfectly the gears go in like butter thanks John for all the help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We all know how weak our K-series transmissions are. I personally had to purchase and install a second gear on my stock tranny for every event I would attend. After spending all that time and money replacing my gears. I realize that purchasing a Dog Box would not be a bad investment.

I recently purchased these gears from Frana vehicles. Im very happy with the results and have been able to drop our ET 4 tenths just by replacing to these gears.

The one thing I liked about the Gear Set is that you can utilize ur stock final drive.
Also that it comes with a Warranty. I dont know of any company that does that.

Also many people dont know but these Gears have been out for a while.

John is always willing to help and improve on his product.

Everyone needs to jump on this group buy. These gears are a must to be competitive this year :up::up::up:

·
Registered
5 Posts
First through fourth dog conversion for Honda K series proven to withstand over 900 wheel horsepower and 650 ft-lbs torque in 9 second cars.

This dog conversion is guaranteed against breakage for one year. This new batch will be stronger than anything we've produced so far. This guarantee does not cover wear. It is to be used for drag racing only, has no oil passages, and no 5th and 6th gear.

Current ratios are:
1st 3.08
2nd 1.88
3rd 1.45
4th 1.13
This was designed for all motor cars running the 4.7 or 5.06 final drive, trapping around 130mph.

What we need is feedback on what ratios we should make next. Based on suggestions from a few drag racers running turbo cars we are thinking:
1st 2.50
2nd 1.72
3rd 1.23
4th 0.96
With the 4.1 final drive.

Why should you get in on this group buy? Aside from getting the strongest K series dog conversion on the market for only $4500, if we have at least two customers request the same gear ratios we will make whatever ratios you want! We are making eight sets which will be done in March. This package includes a new 3rd/4th shift fork and bearings. You will have to cut the C shaped portion off of your OEM 5th gear shift fork.

We require a $2250 deposit to pick your ratios and get one reserved, another $2250 before delivery. Free shipping in the lower 48. All of our parts are made in northern Illinois.

Below are the easiest and strongest ratios we can make:
Nothing numerically higher than 1.45 in 3rd or 4th.
Loving the teeth profiles and pictures but what about us turbocharged guys with power but have daily drivers?

I really don't want to Buy a Race Only gearbox nor a PPG for that much money.

Your price and gear set looks wonderful but there is still a market for a daily driver boosted gear set. Are you planning on making one?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first K series dog boxes we made were set up to use the stock 5th (and 6th) gear. That design also had the oil passages so they were good for street use. There is one shop that wants us to make that design again so we might soon.

We're always looking for new products, applications, distributors, and vendors so let us know what you want!

·
Registered
8 Posts
how long is the buy in or how many set are in the buy in

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just got an email from a friend of mine that also did a purchase on Frana's Gears and ask me to post for him and this is what he had to say.

I can also say, I had great experience with john's gear set. We tried it with a stock K-motor to see if it really works, and we picked up 5 thou and 2 Mph just changing to his tranny. I have been racing All Motor for years and used different dog boxes and this one is top notch!! Put real power to it and still holding up (2yrs.). Very easy to assemble and it shifts like air!!

Norman A.
[email protected]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The group buy is for eight sets, this might be your only chance to get custom ratios for your car. If we get the ratio requests soon they should be done in March.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
what are the ratios that most people are requesting for turbo apps?

i'm shooting for about 850 hp on a 2.2l with a gt42r. I will probably be running 26" slicks.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
This is the ideal way to go guys! :up::up: This is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for to finish up my car. Great company and great people!:up:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Loving the teeth profiles and pictures but what about us turbocharged guys with power but have daily drivers?

I really don't want to Buy a Race Only gearbox nor a PPG for that much money.

Your price and gear set looks wonderful but there is still a market for a daily driver boosted gear set. Are you planning on making one?
yeah I daily drive my boosted rsx. I need some tough gears for the track so I can continue to dd my car. :)

Can you make a set of gears with these ratios? All straight cut including fd .

1st 3.062
2nd 1.769
3rd 1.212
4th 0.921
5th 0.738
FD 4.764
These are the same as my ep3 5 speed I am running and I think its perfect for my boosted k20.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
The first K series dog boxes we made were set up to use the stock 5th (and 6th) gear. That design also had the oil passages so they were good for street use. There is one shop that wants us to make that design again so we might soon.

We're always looking for new products, applications, distributors, and vendors so let us know what you want!
I would like more info on the "streetable" gear setup you guys produced.. would be great if you reproduced the units as I personally feel there are more and more daily driven Kswaps with 400+whp that could really use a stonger tranny.

If that shop gets its way and you do end up making these gears again can you please post contact info for the shop and/or a direct line to you guys to purchase the setups?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts