Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

I searched the board and didn't come up with any thread w/ pics on how to construct fuel lines, so I thought may as well do a little writeup about the process. Although there are lots of other useful and relevant threads, there wasn't any particular one which I found that had a step-by-step how-to.

Materials & Tools List:

> -6AN Fuel Line Hose (Summit Racing) - 6 ft.
> Hose Ends, other fuel fittings
> Electrical Tape or other equivalent tape (to prevent SS wire braids from fraying)
>Bench Vise or Really strong friend
>Rotary Tool (Dremel, Craftsman), Angle Grinder (w/ cutting wheel), or a Hacksaw (fine teeth).

Process:

Step 1:

>>Take the fuel line and mark w/ electrical tape where you want it cut.

-When wrapping electrical tape on the hose, do a few or more passes around the place marked for cutting.

Step 2:

>>Put the fuel line in a vice or get another person to hold the line in place while you prepare to cut it.

>>Use a rotary tool to cut the fuel lines at the desired length.

>>This is what the line looks like afterwards.

Thing to be aware of:

-Be sure that cuts are clean and level so that when you push the fuel line through the fitting, the inner rubber hose sits flushly against the inner radius of the fitting.
-Make sure that when you cut the fuel hose, that there is little fraying of those braided wires. (They can be a bitch...)

-If you wrapped too much tape around the hose, you may want to take out a few layers, but still leave it on. Some people will prefer just taking it off, but I think it better to leave it on, since it forms a tighter fitting.

>>Now separate the fuel fitting ends...

>>Take a little bit of engine oil or any oil based lubricant and dab it on the cut fuel hose end and the separated fitting end in which the fuel line is gonna go into.

>>Put the fitting end in the bench vise or in the hands of a capable friend, and slowly begin to squeeze the fuel line in. If the metal wires are frayed, you might have to retrim w/ the rotary tool or just use a small flat head screw driver to push the wires in the fitting end while pushing the hose in. When you push the hose in, rotate it slightly, as I found it a little easier to get into the fitting end.

-Check to see whether the fuel line is sitting flushly inside the fitting end. They should be no gaps between the inner rubber hose and fitting end when fuel will be flowing through.

- This is how the fuel line should look now.

>>Place the connected fuel line w/ fitting in the bench vise again and put th e male end of the fuel fitting into the hose. Be sure the dab male fitting generously with oil to help it slide through, without pushing the fuel line out the other end as you tighten it.

Note: while sticking the male fuel fitting in the hose end, be sure to apply opposite pressure by hold the fuel line tightly while in the bench vise in order to prevent it from popping out when sticking in the male fitting end. A good way to do this is to just simply pushing toward or firmly holding the fuel line in place...

>>Use an 18mm wrench to tighten the male fitting end into the hose. Be sure to tighten it all the way, and lube as you need it. Do not over tighten the fitting, otherwise it might break.

>>And here's the completed result...

Any further helpful hints or insight are welcome. Let me know if you guys find this helpful.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you running your fuel lines from the filter to the rail, then to the FPR? If so, what's the length of the line running from the filter to the rail??

·
Registered
536 Posts
Very nice write up!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Well heres my complete fuel line parts break down. Just the fuel system parts cost me $72.68 w/o the Fuel Pressure gauge. I had opted to buy the b&m FP gauge which was slightly more than the generic $20.00 ones so with my FP gauge I spent a total of $102.14. It cost me nothing to make them. However, be aware that summit racing charges a $10.95 handling charge regardless of what you are buying. Also, I opted on saving money on fuel fittings so I didn't do the fancy 90 degree and other swivel fittings to dress up the engine bay, instead opted for the simpler and cheaper hose end fittings. But to each is own.

My fuel system setup is going to be based around an Eagle Pro-Series fuel rail and Aeromotive FPR (Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator A1000-6 Injected Bypass). I'm doing the regular style (pump --> fuel filter --> fuel rail --> fpr --> return line) type setup.

Summit Racing online:

B&M FP Gauge, 0-100 psi, 1 1/2 in, analog, Mechanical BMM-46054 - 1 x $29.88

Earl's Performance External Hex Head Port Plug with O-Ring seal, -6 AN, Aluminum, Blue EAR-581406ERL - 1 x $3.75 blue anodized, pair.

Earl's Performance Fitting, hose end, swivel seal, 90 degree, -6 AN hose to female - 6 AN, EAR-809106ERL - 1 x $16.95 aluminum, blue, each
Earl's Performance Fitting, coupler, straight, male - 6AN to male -6AN, aluminum, blue. EAR-981506ERL - 3 x $2.95

Earl's Performance Fitting, straight, male, -6AN to straight cut Male -8AN O-ring, aluminum, EAR-985068ERL - 2 x $9.88

Earl's Performance Fitting, adapter, AN flare to metric, - 6an to 12 mm x 1.5 male, EAR-9919DFGERL - 1 x $9.95 aluminum, blue, each.

Summit Racing Fitting, Hose end, straight, -6 AN Hose to female -6 AN, aluminum, SUM-220690 - 5 x $4.88 red/blue anodized, each.

Summit Racing NPT to nipple, twist-tite, straight male 1/4 inch NPT to -6AN hose barb, SUM-220751 - 1 x $2.95 aluminum, blue anodized, each.

Summit Racing Hose, Braided Stainless Steel, -6AN, 6ft length, SUM-230606 - 1 x $20.95 each.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
janelle said:
Are you running your fuel lines from the filter to the rail, then to the FPR? If so, what's the length of the line running from the filter to the rail??
My fuel line setup is pretty much the standard return line type setup (fuel pump --> fuel filter --> fuel rail --> fpr --> return line)

I was thinking about running a measured line, enough so I could save a bit of my 6 ft fuel line to be later used for engine dress-up, but I opted to use the entire 6 ft length, although, summit racing sold me a shorter fuel line a few inches less than 6 ft.

I pretty much gave the lines enough slack to route around the engine bay and perhaps tuck them slightly out of sight. I measure 2.5 ft, 2 ft, and 1.5 +- ft. But right now, I haven't decided if I'm going to mount my FPR directly to the fuel rail, or if I'm going to mount it on the chassis.

I don't like the idea of mounting the fpr on the fuel rail too much since it could possibly shake itself loose due to the harsh vibrations of k's w/ hasport mounts, but I'm sure there are many of you who can vouch for that placement. I'm most likely leaning towards placing it on the chassis.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
:up: :up: :up: Very nice write up :up: :up:

We need more write-ups like this :rolleyes:

When do you plan to install all this? I have a Summit within 5 minutes of my house, so I'll be using your list :up: :up:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hybrid93Hatch said:
:up: :up: :up: Very nice write up :up: :up:

We need more write-ups like this :rolleyes:

When do you plan to install all this? I have a Summit within 5 minutes of my house, so I'll be using your list :up: :up:
Thanks!:up: I plan on doing other writeups on simple things that I haven't seen yet or perhaps haven't search hard enough for :silly: in the coming weeks.

I've been following your build thread closely as well, when are you planning on doing your fuel setup? You might want to update your fuel parts list with a tube nut and sleeve setup as well for the return line. I think I'm just going to get a fuel hose and just get the fuel clamps for it, but the tube nut and sleeve way is waay cleaner.

The last time I checked you were painting the underbody, gas tank, and inner fenders. Have you started painting the exterior yet?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
blue92da said:
Thanks!:up: I plan on doing other writeups on simple things that I haven't seen yet or perhaps haven't search hard enough for :silly: in the coming weeks.
Good to hear. Write ups are always nice especailly when they have nice pics :cool:

blue92da said:
I've been following your build thread closely as well, when are you planning on doing your fuel setup?
I won't be installing the fuel setup until the motor is installed. The motor will be going in approximately 2-3 weeks after paint which is next weekend.

blue92da said:
You might want to update your fuel parts list with a tube nut and sleeve setup as well for the return line. I think I'm just going to get a fuel hose and just get the fuel clamps for it, but the tube nut and sleeve way is waay cleaner.
Any pics of what these look like? I do want my setup to look as clean as possible. Is the electrical tape necessary? I'm most likely going with black lines so it won't be noticeable.

blue92da said:
The last time I checked you were painting the underbody, gas tank, and inner fenders. Have you started painting the exterior yet?
The undercarriage is almost complete. Just have to finish the exhaust tunnel area. The engine bay and interior will be sprayed in a week.

What is the difference between your $110 setup and this $185 setup? I see you have one 90 degree fitting and the other 2 90's and 1 45 degree.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hybrid93Hatch said:
Good to hear. Write ups are always nice especailly when they have nice pics :cool:

I won't be installing the fuel setup until the motor is installed. The motor will be going in approximately 2-3 weeks after paint which is next weekend.

Any pics of what these look like? I do want my setup to look as clean as possible. Is the electrical tape necessary? I'm most likely going with black lines so it won't be noticeable.

The undercarriage is almost complete. Just have to finish the exhaust tunnel area. The engine bay and interior will be sprayed in a week.

What is the difference between your $110 setup and this $185 setup? I see you have one 90 degree fitting and the other 2 90's and 1 45 degree.

Thats good to hear:up: I kept my fuel setup simple to cut down on cost, thats why I think you pointed out that I only have one 90 degree fitting and the rest are hose ends, and unions, but now that I think about it, I should have spent a little extra to get the black lines, or black fittings to dress up the engine a little. I think mainly what the difference between my lines and your are simply the colour of the lines and the number of bent swivel fittings. The setup that you have will probably look more cleaner since it won't cause the line to snake all over the place, but to me its not a big deal.

As for the electrical tape, I don't think its necessary to keep it on, and you can make without it for sure. I just found it easier to slip the line into the fitting with the tape in place because it kept the frayed lines in place. But good luck with your build.

·
Registered
564 Posts
thank you, for your write up, been looking for this for long time :up:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great write up!

·
Registered
525 Posts
thank you, for your write up, been looking for this for long time
X2 I was hesitant about doing my own lines because I wasn't really sure how to make them myself, sometimes it's the simple stuff that gets you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!:up: I myself was hesitant as well, but on the advice of some fellow members on this board, I was able to make these and document them as well.

I think we should propose a DIY section for k-swap's into various chassies. I'm sure other members have a lot that they can share as well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A diy section has been proposed in the suggestions forum, stop by there and post so nikos see's we really want one, having all these diys in one spot would make finding these threads so much easier

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I think we got one now... Thanks Nikos.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
just did my fuel setup today... used neoprene lines instead. to make it easier on yourself to get the fuel line all the way in make sure your turning the line the correct way. it goes in alot smoother or turn the nut the correct way... all in all it was real quick...

·
Registered
619 Posts
NICE WRITE UP !!! BUT I THINK I RATHER SAVE THE LABOR AND TIME AND JUST BUY THEM ALREADY MADE >>>LOL JUST LAZY I GUESS!!!:eek:

·
Punishin' Bitches
2,453 Posts
I friggin' hate stainless steel lines!!!! Good write up for those that dont know.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts