Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Re: Disk or Drum brakes?

There are plenty of people doing it both ways. I personally prefer the feel of rear discs. However plenty of people run drums because they are lighter, last forever, and have more braking than the rear end of the car needs. They simply put on big front brakes since the front does most of the braking anyways.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There are plenty of people doing it both ways. I personally prefer the feel of rear discs. However plenty of people run drums because they are lighter, last forever, and have more braking than the rear end of the car needs. They simply put on big front brakes since the front does most of the braking anyways.
whats the difference in weight big diff? and the rear drum are such a pain in the ass to change the brakes thats one of the main reasons i was going to change it over.

·
Registered
601 Posts
All IMO, guys :p

Drums:

Pro's-
Lighter
More contact Area (better braking, initially at least)
Already on the car:silly:

Con's -
PITA to change
Faster brake fading on longer stretches
Looks gay

IMO, it's all about what type of driving you want the car to be set up for.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
Love drums they do not wear as fast lol ... last forever..thought about changing over but passed added weight and need to get rusty bolts off..:silly:

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts

whats the difference in weight big diff? and the rear drum are such a pain in the ass to change the brakes thats one of the main reasons i was going to change it over.
Many of the components are the same, so I would imagine the drum assembly probably weighs about the same as the caliper. However you still have the 4-7lbs of the brake rotor (depending on rotor size). Add in that it is unsprung weight.

You can probably find exact weights if you dig around on honda-tech.

It is definitely easier to work on disc brakes, but they require so little maintenance, that I doubt it matters much. Only time I really touch rears is to bleed them, but nice to be able to easily see the condition of the pads.

Long story short, discs are better, drums are good enough, you would probably be better off putting that money elsewhere in your car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
All IMO, guys :p

Drums:

Pro's-
Lighter
More contact Area (better braking, initially at least)
Already on the car:silly:

Con's -
PITA to change
Faster brake fading on longer stretches
Looks gay

IMO, it's all about what type of driving you want the car to be set up for.
lol. good reason. :D

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
IMO, drums can save weight, but I rather stick with disc's. Looks way cooler if you have a set of rims. Also, I've heard people talking about drums giving the car better rotational mass, but its probably so minimal that the difference doesn't help much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.