Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation.. I have a RSX DC5 shell(i bought it that way), and i need to install the complete K20 drivetrain.. Unfortunetly i'm new to the RSX game, although i have tons of experience with the common B.series swaps and a few K.series Civics.. I've never done a K.series in a RSX b4.. Any pointers? Whats the easiest route? Install from the top or from the bottom?

I don't own a engine hoist, but i can try and borrow one.. I don't have a lift, as its being done in my home garage.. The engine swap is currently sitting on a rollable dolly and i was just thinkin, just drop the subframe and wa lah.. However, i just got off the phone with one of my friends and he's tellin me the subframe is kinda heavy and a bitch to line back up..What do you guys think? Being that i don't have access to a lift nor a engine hoist.. Is it fesiable doing the K20 swap in a RSX from the bottom without runnin into any problems? Or should i just try and borrow a engine hoist and lug it on over to my house? Thanx in advance..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
i would borrow a engine hoist, , ive installed a drivetrain in a ep3 and it went very smoothly doing it from the top, , ,rsx i think should be the same game.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I always do it from the top, remove the hood and go to town. I find it far easier and quicker than lifting the chassis up, unless you have a hydraulic chassis lift.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always do it from the top, remove the hood and go to town. I find it far easier and quicker than lifting the chassis up, unless you have a hydraulic chassis lift.
No chassis lift.. All i have are two 3 ton Lincoln garage/floor jacks.. Damn it man.. Just a few minutes ago i was tryin to remove the subframe in my garage, until i got stuck on the pass side lower ball joint.. It just seems frozen.. It doesn't wanna break away from the LCA.. Any advise? I sprayed WD40, PB Blaster and beat the LCA with a 3lbs hammer/mini sledge until i got a headache lolz.. I guess i might take your advise guys and see if i can borrow a engine hoist..

BTW when doing a B.series into a d Eg/Dc, did you guys install it from the top or bottom?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
To seperate the lower ball joint apply pressure with a pulley puller or something to the stud and hit the side of the LCA, this should seperate it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To seperate the lower ball joint apply pressure with a pulley puller or something to the stud and hit the side of the LCA, this should seperate it.
Driver side came out with a slight beating.. However i beat the crap outta the passenger side lca.. And nuttin.. Freakin thing didn't budge.. I'll spray some more PB Blaster on it in the morning so it can soak on in until i get home from work.. I'll keep u guys posted

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I do all my rsx's from the bottom. Done it from the top. pita.

you can remove the whole suspension as a whole when you drop the subframe.
I agree. Easiest way to install and remove the engine is to simply disconnect the engine and drop the subframe with the engine attached.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've done it from the top...imo its easier with a hoist. It shouldnt be that hard with the subframe out of the way though. The subframe isnt that heavy at all unless the rest of the suspension is attached...or your really weak lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As of lastnight the swap was installed from the bottom, suspended only with the two side mounts.. As of just a few minutes ago i installed the subframe with the assistance of a piece of 2x4 wood and floor jack while layin on my back.. Bolt up the rear then front mounts and thats it for 2night..

·
LuLz que?
444 Posts
I've got it down to a fine art LOL I used a motorcycle jack when putting the motor back in LOL

Nearly every honDUH swap I have done has been with the car in the air. I can have the engine out of my rsx is less than 30min by myself (no air tools). Installation usually will take me no longer than 2hrs because I take my time when going back together with it. Other than the obvious tools, the main things you need are single jack, 2 jack stands and boards. I usually drop the subframe, then drop the motor. That's the way I have found it to be easiest.

BTW I have pulled yanked the motor out of my rsx at least a dozen time by now.

Get you some Red Mountain Dew, purple gloves, put on some loud screamo emo and do some work.

·
LuLz que?
444 Posts
As of lastnight the swap was installed from the bottom, suspended only with the two side mounts.. As of just a few minutes ago i installed the subframe with the assistance of a piece of 2x4 wood and floor jack while layin on my back.. Bolt up the rear then front mounts and thats it for 2night..
quiter :silly:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got it down to a fine art LOL I used a motorcycle jack when putting the motor back in LOL

Nearly every honDUH swap I have done has been with the car in the air. I can have the engine out of my rsx is less than 30min by myself (no air tools). Installation usually will take me no longer than 2hrs because I take my time when going back together with it. Other than the obvious tools, the main things you need are single jack, 2 jack stands and boards. I usually drop the subframe, then drop the motor. That's the way I have found it to be easiest.

BTW I have pulled yanked the motor out of my rsx at least a dozen time by now.

Get you some Red Mountain Dew, purple gloves, put on some loud screamo emo and do some work.
May seem like a noob question but how do you get the car high enough to pull the engine out from the bottom with a single jack and 2 jack stands?

·
No More Honda, Its EVO 8
1,458 Posts
May seem like a noob question but how do you get the car high enough to pull the engine out from the bottom with a single jack and 2 jack stands?
i say put on jackstands, then get a spare tire and put it upside down on the jack and place it right in the middle of the car where the exhaust tunnel is (frame rails). and start jacking it up. it goes waaaay high, then slide motor in and drop car back into the jackstands. make sure you place some board on bottom of subframe when in spot so you can slide the jack in place.:up:

·
Registered
948 Posts
done it numerous times in my old dc5 i had a while back. take the subframe on the bottom off. easy as pie. once its off, an hr install.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
I did it from the top... Problem was the AC line was in the way. You'll need to (properly) discharge it then disconnect part of it. Next time, I'm trying it from the bottom.

I see you got it in already. How's it running?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.