Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Honda heads/pistons almost never do a completely random failure and The chain tensioner would NOT be to blame at 7500rpm when it has peak oil pressure. When you have a failure like this you need to narrow down what could have possibly been wrong.

Look at it this way.
It was a Type-R Stock Bottom end
It was a Type-R Head that you "ported" slightly
It was a Type-S ECU

Anything stick out there? I'm not trying to be a dick but you modified a motor SPECIFICALLY to give it more air by "porting" it and you decided to use a Stock ECU? That means it uses the stock Type-S fuel maps at Full Throttle. More AIR without More FUEL = boom. Plain and simple. The other possibility is you bent a valve on install/removal and it bent/broke off and destroyed everything. My money is on the ECU, Even a Type-S ECU on a BONE STOCK Type-R will lean it out and create excess cylinder temperatures.

Once again, for your own future refrence.

More AIR without more FUEL = BOOM.

K-pro doesn't look so expensive now, does it? I'm not trying to be rude but the reality of it is you need to THINK before you ACT with these types of things. Honda motors specifically are VERY particular about how they run and once you mash the throttle the engine does NOT automatically adjust the air/fuel like if you're cruising. With full throttle it reads how much fuel to use directly from the map on the ECU. Buy K-pro before you buy ANYTHING else next time.

-Froth

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
nah thats cool thanx for breaking it down..:up: yea i ****ed up BIG TIME... lol yea a $ 1,000 kpro aint as expensive as a $3,000 longblock..

but here we go again.. got ANOTHER TYPE-R n gonna try all this again but with no ported head & a kpro this time..

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thanx, cuz ima need it...lol

nah i should be good it was my boys motor got all new honda parts head gasket, seals, rbc oil pump n pan, new chain n tensioner so i should be good..

ill keep u guys posted on how i make out...

· Registered
82 Posts
you did go to 2nd gear man. Same thing happened to me. Except mine was built. ran 11.37 on the quarter. i blew it racing a porshe on the free way. funny thing is is i was passing him after my motor blew.

K series use timing chain. they cant slip like a belt. good luck

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
nah it was in 4th coming up in the rpms.. n it jus startedd to chatter n jus cut out....
but oh well got antother 1 n gona put it in next week when my clutch comes in then def gettin it tuned.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.