Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
destroyed k20a type R!!!

im pissed my k20a jus blew up, lost 3 valves, head is ****ed, #2 piston is gone & number 4 is dented, the sleves r broke
wtf happened??? i think the timing tensioner took a shit... help me out ppl...

ok its a k20a type r inside an 03 rsx type s us stock type s computer & i opened up the intake ports alil bit on the head...
check out the whole project here with all the pics... http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=44719493&albumId=2449774

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went from 3rd to 4th at like 7500 rpm didnt miss was only doin like 60mph...

·
Registered
630 Posts
were those stock valves

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
just be honest...your not pissed...you blew it to go k24 didnt you?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha..na i like the type r i didnt want to blow a $4,000 engine...
no it was in 4th i wasnt beatin it or racing any 1,
stock type r stock valves
just a type s ecu not sure if the air fuel was righ or what??

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
hmmm iirc tensioner failure usually occurs at start up or at relitavely low rpms. any pics of the tensioner.
stock cams?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You prob. dropped a valve and all hell broke loose...

Dropped valve in the worst cylinder and shit went through the intake manifold and destroyed other cylinders. I've seen that many many times.

The better question is why a dropped valve?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea idk i broke 3 valves, i got 2 ends n the other is mia?? so is the 2nd piston some is stuck in the crank...
so since im using a type s ecu on a type r it woulnd have made it lean out with out the right air/fuel or they both the same??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
so since im using a type s ecu on a type r it woulnd have made it lean out with out the right air/fuel or they both the same??
If you drove that engine hard with a Type S tune, it may be a contributing factor. I cant tell you for sure because I dont run cars on "base calibrations" or "borrowed tunes" so I dont know how off it might have been.

No sense in crying over spilled milk... it's time to pick up the pieces and get her fixed. When it goes back together do yourself a favor, have it built by a professional and either get the right ECU or GET KPRO and have the engine tuned. DO NOT RUN A BASE MAP.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
me & my boy put it togther only the head n chainset the block is original never touched so i just cleaned it up, this aint the 1st one we did had did them b4 still running strong...

yea icant put this 1 back 2gether so im lookin at another type r longblock hopefully nextweek shes running again...

but thanx for every1s info....

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
oem springs & retainers?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stock motor .. type r cams springs retainers, all stock but type s ecu...

any 1 think i can still get the block redone with new sleeves like dart??
idk if the bearings spun i still gotta pull the pan....

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have a bare block for cheap if you want it. it is not bad, but it would need some sleeving done.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nah im good i got a complete type s that needs rebuilding,
but ima pick up my boys k20a long block pretty cheap & try not to blow it again...:driving:

·
Registered
900 Posts
hmmm iirc tensioner failure usually occurs at start up or at relitavely low rpms. any pics of the tensioner.
stock cams?
That would be correct. Tensioners that are worn out tend to give up the ghost when oil pressure is low (this is when the worn out parts are most needed).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts