Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first started my car back in 2012 when I finished up everything, then unfortunately it sat after I had a kid and everything. Recently I went back to try and it get it going and complete the project but it wont start. The starter sounds really weak. I have used multiple batteries and I am getting the same issue. The engine is a k20z3 from a 2009 civic and had about 60k miles on it when I bought it. Would the starter really crap out from just sitting for that many years? It wasn't started up regularly or anything so it shouldn't be worn out. Any suggestions? Thanks Gents. Anyone in Socal/ SD area would love to get together.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it turn over by hand?
don't you be making a pit in my stomach here. My motor is good damnit! it ran and started fine back in 2012 before I garaged it. That being said, ill give it a go and see. what would make a motor seize from those circumstances?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would rule that out since it's been 8 years.
The motor turns. Just very slowly. Like I have dead battery. I have tried several different good batteries though. Double checked my grounds a hundred different times too. On my way home from work now to check

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Did you get to the bottom of this?

Starters don't typically just die, but no guarantees after sitting for 8yrs.

Have you pulled a plug and smelled the cylinder to make sure its getting fuel?

If the motor has been sitting for a long time, possible that the injectors are gummed up with old fuel. You could try unplugging them from the harness and hitting them with 12v from the battery. Just tap the terminals with the wire a few times and make sure you hear them click.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the followup. Long story short I did some work on the interior harness to finally clean up all those extra wires and rewrap everything with heat shrink and try to make it look really clean and I finally swallowed my pride and just accepted that I must have messed something up as it started and ran perfect back in 2012 when I first finished everything up.

So I went to the pick and pull and got a harness out of a really nice donor and put it in last night. Of course my S2K cluster is not lighting up now but I finished swapping the harness about 11 and wasn't trying to troubleshoot that late. So the rest of this week I'm going to get the cluster working and then give her another go on the start up

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I put the new harness in and it turns over the same. Also go a new engine fuse box from the donor that looked brand new as mine was beat to heck. Guess I'll pull out the injectors and check them now

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it possible after sitting for so long my charge harness wires got corroded or something. Now I have returned it back to before it had issues with a stock harness. Even when I jump the starter directly it turns over weak. Could one of my grounds gone bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts