Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

best shocks for daily/auto x with comfort in mind

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys i have been looking around a ton for suspension (97 ek), i would just like some opinions from others regarding; handling, overall life, and comfort. After suspension i plan on doing a k24 swap also. So with this in mind know the motor's weight is more so i just wanna be ready with the spring rates. I only plan on dropping the car 1 inch, 2 at most (I don't really like the completely dumped look) Also I want this to be a good daily driver with the best ride quality possible. I am interested in spending around 600-1000 and the following shocks that catch my eye are :
-kw
-bilstein- air good comfort?
-pic? heard bad and good about theses
-koni yellows
-Tein? heard bad and good about these
-Amr looks the best

If you guys have any other good threads for shocks/reviews please post

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Amr engineering.
They are custom valved for your needs.
I love mines on & off the track.
The smothest ride I've ever had on the streets 550lbs (~10k) front & 650lbs(~12k) rear springs. On something this stiff.
Mine are valved for upto 900lbs springs but the 550 & 650 lbs work extremely well at the track at this point I have no need to swap stiffer springs.

There are couple of reviews about amr here. do a search.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
ur best choice from the list would be the koni/gc combo. those are tried and true, alot of people run them with excellent feedback. you can google and research on a particular race car that ran thousand dollar coilovers and decided to switch to the koni/gc and shaved off 1-2 seconds off his laptime. i would go for that setup but didnt like the shock/ strut idea. rather have coilover with less suspension travel. personal preference i guess. but 2nd time around i would prolly get the koni/gc if the car was going to be more daily then auto-x or if its for real competitiveness then i'd get 2 or 3way coilovers. possibly kw v3, ast, jrz.

ur list isnt very specific, and judging from ur price range the suspension ur deciding on is the low range not so good stuff. so i wouldnt get the kw v1 (alot of my friends and people had to have them rebuilt), tien basics are just that, basic. PIC is up in the air, too many pos and neg comments so its up to u. bilsteins are good for wut they are, you'll end up wanting something stiffer and have to get revalved and higher spring rates.

if your not competitive in auto-x, meaning ur car is not setup for it and your not running competitively against ur competition then any of these would be fine. just FYI, when you put the kseries in, you'll be in very competitive class.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
what negative things have you heard about PIC :confused:
Was curious about the same. I have not seen one negative thread on any of the forums I frequent. I run PIC Selects 10k/12k have been for 2 years and drove it throughout the winter in -40c without any issues. In fact I have had my shit running in -40c to +40c and on AutoX and road courses with zero issues.

And how's about that warranty, complete coverage for breakage on the track or anywhere else for that matter.

I Upgraded from Koni Yellows/GC setup that I ran for years and the PIC is a night and day difference. Full soft on the streets and full stiff on track with adjustability - great comfort and execution.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have just been reading a ton of reviews and saw like 2 bad reviews about the pic's build quality but that was from a couple years ago. Now from every thing i have seen i have been convinced that AMR are my best bet and there on sale atm!:) so they are in my price range. The only thing i need to do is figure out what springs i need, these are the ones i plan on picking:
- 450/350 - good daily, to soft for minor auto x ?
- 550/450 - good for future auto x / daily ?
-650/750 - to stiff for daily ?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
well i have just been reading a ton of reviews and saw like 2 bad reviews about the pic's build quality but that was from a couple years ago. Now from every thing i have seen i have been convinced that AMR are my best bet and there on sale atm!:) so they are in my price range. The only thing i need to do is figure out what springs i need, these are the ones i plan on picking:
- 450/350 - good daily, to soft for minor auto x ?
- 550/450 - good for future auto x / daily ?
-650/750 - to stiff for daily ?
You can't go wrong with amr
Call & talk to andy he will build you something for what you want the car to do.

I would say go 550/650 cause you want the rear end to rotate when auto-xing it.

Even though 650 rear sounds too stiff for daily trust me with the custom shock valving it would feel confy on the street for a spring that stiff at least my rears 650lbs do feel confy compared to omni 450lbs rear. I've tried omni 450lbs & they stiff & bumpy. realy a poor quality ride.

My rear 650lbs installed with hardrace bushings, 21mm itr rear sway bar, acr sub frame Tires at 38~40 psi & smooth enought on the road.

So I imagine 550/550 gotta fell like a stock ride quality thru bad roads :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i got koni yellow and ground controls for sale for an ek 525bucks 6k miles located near Allentown Pa if you would like you can shoot me a text or call I'll be up all night 610-656-6287 Eric

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
koni/ground control FTW!!!!!! lifetime warranty, huge variety of spring lengths and rates. and they are fairly inexpensive. i wouldn't go much over 550 or 600 on the yellows if they don't have spss3 valving though. i just ordered 600/500 6 inch long, 2.5 inside diameter ground controls for my yellows. that wait i can set the ride height once and just change out spring rates as needed.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
glad u made a decision, as for spring rates, your going to have to figure that out on your own. see if you can co-drive a car similar to yours ie layout (FF). some like the rears to rotate, others like the rears to stick. same with sway bar and coilover settings, you just gotta play with it. if its comfy for daily, its not going to be competitive enough for auto-x. so decide what you want, depending on the valving, the stiffer springs arent going to be feeling as stiff on the streets as you would think. im running 14k / 10k right now. it was 6/8 (for daily comfort), then switched to 10/8 (to compete), now 14/10 which doesnt feel as rough as i thot, just more planted. profile tires play a role in street comfort as well. im on 40's right now so if you have 45's 50's then it should be no problem going with a stiffer setting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx alot for your opinions guys, i ended up going with the amrs. As for the spring rates Andy said getting the 550/450 would be the best for me being a daily driver and starting of as a beginner at auto x/ track days. Amr seems like a great company, i just cant wait until i get my shocks in around 2 weeks and i can do a full write up/review on these bad boys. :)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
i just installed my ground controls on my koni yellows last week and they ride awesome on the street. i have 600 in front and 500 in rear. need a larger rear sway bar and some sticky tires before i hit the track.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Thx alot for your opinions guys, i ended up going with the amrs. As for the spring rates Andy said getting the 550/450 would be the best for me being a daily driver and starting of as a beginner at auto x/ track days. Amr seems like a great company, i just cant wait until i get my shocks in around 2 weeks and i can do a full write up/review on these bad boys. :)
amr are the best value for ANY application. I am very happy you chose wisely! I am waiting to see what you have to say about them. I would give them some more time than two weeks. If I had the money right now this is the route I'd def take!! Custom/USA/Proven/Lifetime for the mutha****in'win. Off the shelf for the masses.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I just looked at them AMR coilovers and DAMN they look good!! Makes me want to sell my Apex-i N1 Pros and pick up some of them.. Good choice, keep us updated on em :up:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Have you guys looked at Progress Technology ?

If not than let me ask if you guys heard of realtime racing and hasport ? If so look at their shop cars most of them run progress technology suspension parts :up:

Theyve been around for a long time made in USA . Check out my thread.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8014

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The AMR's are nice especially for the price. I talked to someone there a year or say ago and they seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. Koni also makes a coilover kit, but I don't think they advertise the specs too much, so you're better off with something that is upgradeable easily. I didn't feel like waiting a few weeks to get suspension so I'm just sticking with Koni yellow/GC. Let us know how the AMR's work out for you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mikercp this is the thread you wanted to show us?
"Used, but in good shape.
Engine had 18000 miles on it when they were removed.
$50 shipped.
Pics available. Email me at [email protected]"
Any way i looked at the Progress technology shocks. They look good but i think the amrs will fit me much better.

I will let you know how the amrs do once i get em :) should be here next week! i cant wait

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
OH whoops lol ya wrong link . looks like a number got cut off

1 - 20 of 33 Posts