Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 integra with a b18a1 that is siezed up - the engine lost oil presure and thats all she wrote

but now i figure what better time to do an engine swap but i cant decide what i want

my first thought was a K20A2 (obviously) i found some deals on parts but til its all said and done im lookin at spendin apx 2500 which just seems like too much for a car thats almost old enough to vote

then i thought why not a H22A4 - 195hp, 2.2L Displacment why not, but im told there is alot of wiring needed to get this swap to run, and i dont have the patients for wiring, plus im sure that can get pricy too

what about the common B18C - integra gsr baby - that will bolt right up into my b-series friendly chassis - but these arnt cheap eigther at 1500-2000 a swap its slightly pushin my budget

the cheapest to me seems to be the B20B - its non-vtec but can be converted later when i get my money right - should boult right in no prob - and im told the electrical side of the swap is not that difficult

im lookin to spend around 1000 (or less) any one with help/parts/opinions (positive or neg) please dont hesitate to chime in - any feedback will be greatly apprieciated

and obviously with my price range you dont need to bother mentioning the K20A - B18C5 - H22A or other JMD swaps
________
Water Bongs

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be spending closer to 10K than 2500 with a K20A2 swap. Trust me
yea your prob right - i found some great deals online but its still way too much $

im also lookin into a B16A - nice hp rating - easy install - sucks loosing 200cc displacement

does anyone know if my 91 integra is OBD 0 or OBD 1
________
Laguna Bay II Condos Pattaya

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Source you a nice LS B18B/A. The reason being is that you can play with this motor much more than the B20b/z. I'm talking about internal wise. The pistons can't be upgraded like the b18 can.

The b20 also has weak walls. In other words what I'm trying to say is that changing the b20 pistons, and putting a b16 head on it you risk valve to piston clearance. In the b18 you can put ctr cams with itr pistons or vice versa. Or even if you do the b20 vtec just adding cams you risk valve to piston clearance. So think about all of that.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i was thinkin of doin a b20b block with a b16a head and boost it

im only lookin to reach 200-250 hp that would be fine for a dd da
That's a good setup also, just wondering if you do that will you have the block sleeved because the walls aren't that strong?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good setup also, just wondering if you do that will you have the block sleeved because the walls aren't that strong?

i didnt plan on it - i dont wanna run alot of boost im only lookin to go 5 psi but you dont think the block can handel it - if i need to ill have too but how expensive can that be

like i said im just tryin to get 200-250 hp i think would be quick enough for a dd - then im buildin my dc5-r
________
OhhJulia cam

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Source you a nice LS B18B/A. The reason being is that you can play with this motor much more than the B20b/z. I'm talking about internal wise. The pistons can't be upgraded like the b18 can.

The b20 also has weak walls. In other words what I'm trying to say is that changing the b20 pistons, and putting a b16 head on it you risk valve to piston clearance. In the b18 you can put ctr cams with itr pistons or vice versa. Or even if you do the b20 vtec just adding cams you risk valve to piston clearance. So think about all of that.
from what ive heard on the internet the b20b has 8.8:1 cr - thats low enough for me to add a turbo with a lil boost to make up for the low cr - if i wanted to build a na engine then i would have to upgrade the pistons to a higher cr

all i need is b20b block, b16a obd0 head, custom made turbo, and that should do it ( i think )
________
SugarSophie

·
Registered
63 Posts
B16s are only good in stripped interior RS Integras, other wise there's no friggin power to move the thing along.

H2B gets my vote if you don't want to spend the coin to go H2B.

·
Registered
55 Posts
With the budget your running, you should probably go with the B18, they are pretty common and a good pallet to start a later build after you get the car put together. They are also alot more affordable because they have been over done. Still a grand is a very small budget, you better have a B trans with a pocket that light or alot of hookups.... GL, hope it works out for you, and you can prob run at least 7 psi on a B18 without really upgrading anything except exhaust and plumbing

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the budget your running, you should probably go with the B18, they are pretty common and a good pallet to start a later build after you get the car put together. They are also alot more affordable because they have been over done. Still a grand is a very small budget, you better have a B trans with a pocket that light or alot of hookups.... GL, hope it works out for you, and you can prob run at least 7 psi on a B18 without really upgrading anything except exhaust and plumbing
yea your prob right - i got a trans my b18a seized up so im just lookin for an upgrade

thanks
________
Chiquita

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,257 Posts
Sucks you can´t go K (money wise) I have a 93 LS with a B20B auto so far, going K pretty soon (I hope) B20 is a good option there for ya... :up:

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,257 Posts
i was goin k - i found alot of cheap parts but still would have cost me 3500

do you have a b20 vtec
B20B all around (non-VTEC) not going to waste money on that if Im going K soon...

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,257 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts