Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a latitudinal "scratch" in Cyl #1. My fingernail can catch on it. I have gotten a rag and some oil to remove it, hoping it is just carbon build. The "scratch" is only 1" long and pretty thin.

What are symptoms of a motor that is suffering from this "scratch"?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I have a latitudinal "scratch" in Cyl #1. My fingernail can catch on it. I have gotten a rag and some oil to remove it, hoping it is just carbon build. The "scratch" is only 1" long and pretty thin.

What are symptoms of a motor that is suffering from this "scratch"?
How far down the hole is it? Can you take a pic of it?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How far down the hole is it? Can you take a pic of it?
When the cylinder is BDC, its about 1.5" above that mark, but its roughly 1" wide. I cannot even see the scratch. Because its latitudinal, I dont understand why it would only be 1" wide as opposed to the circumference of the cylinder bore.

I can just feel it, but where its at, is a whole bunch of, what appears to be, carbon build up. Ill get my D40 and see if it catches the scratch. :up:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
When the cylinder is BDC, its about 1.5" above that mark, but its roughly 1" wide. I cannot even see the scratch. Because its latitudinal, I dont understand why it would only be 1" wide as opposed to the circumference of the cylinder bore.

I can just feel it, but where its at, is a whole bunch of, what appears to be, carbon build up. Ill get my D40 and see if it catches the scratch. :up:
Odd, what side of the piston does it face? Have you dropped that piston out to see if it is damaged?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Odd, what side of the piston does it face? Have you dropped that piston out to see if it is damaged?
If you are looking at the engine block from the intake side. And look down in Cylinder #1.

It is spread from the 9 to 10oclock position.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If the engine has been rebuilt that could be a mark from the edge of the rod or rod bolt.

You will wear the rings very quickly in that specific location.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you are looking at the engine block from the intake side. And look down in Cylinder #1.

It is spread from the 9 to 10oclock position.
that's very odd. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about it being across from the adjact cylinder like it was a wrist pin or something.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's very odd. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about it being across from the adjact cylinder like it was a wrist pin or something.
If you are and I are on the same page, it feels like it is due to the rings and build up when the rings were just sitting.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you are and I are on the same page, it feels like it is due to the rings and build up when the rings were just sitting.
I highly doubt the rings would scratch the block, because that would mean they have very high spring tension.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Was the engine a rebuild or virginal factory?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts