Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I was going through some of my old crap laying around and I found my pile of old busted up Steel K24 oil pans from when I replaced them every month or two...I was walking down the stairs to throw them out and I happened to glance over and see my Engine on the stand. My curiosity was peaked so I grabbed the hacksaw and this is what became of it all.

This is a Steel K24 oil pan mounted on a K20A2, Stock oil pump and K24 Pan. This shows the tight clearances between the K20A2 pump pickup and the K24 Steel pan. You can see that there's dimples on the bottom of the pump to prevent it from literally sucking itself to the bottom of the pan, there's literally 1mm of clearance between them and the bottom of the pan. I did measure the RSX-S Pan and K24 Stamped Steel pan for internal height differences and the RSX-S Aluminum pan is just shy of 1/4" Deeper than the K24 Stamped Steel pan.

See, very tight clearances but IMO still acceptable.

For those that may be curious, this picture illustrates the oil dipstick Level markings in relation to the bottom of the pump pickup. The oil is up over-top of it quite a good ways!

Hopefully this puts to bed the "is there enough clearance" threads of K24 Steel pans on a K20 Pump/bottom end. The clearance may be minimal but in my opinion it is more than adequate to facilitate proper engine lubrication and oil pressure. If you're hesitant about it just run an oil pressure gauge, which you should be doing already! I went through 5 stamped steel K24 pans on my old K24 w/ RSX-S pump because of how low it was and it never once damaged the pump or restricted flow/oil pressure.

Cliff Notes: K24 Stamped Steel pan + K20A2 RSX-S Oil pump = Good to go.

-Froth

k20a2 with a2 pump and a2 pan (pics provided by drhonda)

·
I don't know
2,932 Posts
Once again, YOUR THE F'INNNNNN MAN Froth.

Questions.

1. Is it safe to say that the pump sitting that close is great for the oil slush in regards to the pump never running dry during circuit running??

2. What about for those light scrape and dents. I know it pushes the pan in a bit but if it hits too hard and anyway it can dent the pick-up opening shut???

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once again, YOUR THE F'INNNNNN MAN Froth.

Questions.

1. Is it safe to say that the pump sitting that close is great for the oil slush in regards to the pump never running dry during circuit running??

2. What about for those light scrape and dents. I know it pushes the pan in a bit but if it hits too hard and anyway it can dent the pick-up opening shut???
Thanks :p Firstly, I would say it would be fairly hard to starve the pickup of oil with it being that close to the pan bottom, I never had an Oil pressure drop in hard cornering now that I think about it when I ran this on my K24...but I can't say for certain it will be 100% foolproof. Second, I'm sure it's very possible though however unlikely it may be to dent the pan into the pickup itself but because of the design of the pickup it would be very difficult to restrict the flow of oil enough to be noticeable. Like I said, I went through FIVE oil pans on my old K24 w/ K20 pump setup and I never once had a ding/nick in the oil pickup. The only evidence of Pan/Pump contact is that I can see VERY faintly where the dimples of the oil pickup were rubbing two of my five oil pans. You would have to dent the pan straight up right where the pickup is a Full INCH to stand a chance at cutting off oil flow.

-Froth

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, No baffles. Stock OEM $35 Pans.

-Froth

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
The oil pump is on the passenger side of the oil pan. The center of my steel pan is what gets whacked but the passenger side is less apt to get smashed. I did read in Nikos' thread that his vtec was affected by a dented pan, but only on the dyno..

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Nice info in this thread. Now if only I swapped out my aluminum K20A2 pan before breaking it, which ended up ripping off a chunk of the girdle. Nasty mess that made... LOL

Anyway :up: for the good info.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The oil pump is on the passenger side of the oil pan. The center of my steel pan is what gets whacked but the passenger side is less apt to get smashed. I did read in Nikos' thread that his vtec was affected by a dented pan, but only on the dyno..
Nikos was also running a modified ERL S2000 pump and they say themselves you need to run a Steel K24 pan, don't forget that.

-Froth

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
Awesomeness. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very nice, quick question, do you need to change the dipstick when you change the pan or is it good to go just the pan. thanks.:up:

Thank you froth. (Didn't want to dirty up the thread so i just edited lol)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just the Pan.

-Froth

1 - 20 of 107 Posts