Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I got my CRV longblock from importautosalvage.

I am thinking about using the k20a2 oil pump and h20 pump...

From the article on sport compact car hasport did, I noticed...

Either of the oil pans will work, but the RSX Type-S part is cast aluminum vs. the K24's stamped-steel part. The cast pan is stiffer and braces the pan to the transmission bell housing, making it the better choice. You should also use the full-length windage tray from the K20A2, which will do a better job keeping the oil where it needs to be. The K24 uses a pair of balance shafts cleverly incorporated into the oil pump assembly ("pump holder set" in Honda-speak), but you don't need their extra weight or the friction required to turn them. Hasport recommends ditching the K24 oil pump assembly in favor of the simpler K20A2 part. The oil pump drive chain and tensioners are identical, so take your pick, or get a new one if in doubt about its condition.

You can avoid the machine shop if you don't want the oil-to-water oil cooler that's used on the K20A2. An oil cooler of some kind, however, is a good idea; at least, Honda thought it was on the RSX Type-S. The stock unit has the advantage of being able to warm the oil in cold weather. To plumb the stocker, have the K24 block machined for the coolant return line, which is right above the oil filter boss on the K20A2. Any decent machine shop can do this. You'll also need to use the K20A2 water pump since it has the coolant supply fitting for the oil cooler. Although the factory system serves its purpose, you could do just as well with a sandwich-type oil filter adaptor and a decent air/oil cooler.

Install the K20A2 pump holder set on the K24 block. Top it off with the K20A2 oil pump and oil pump drive chain. Next, install the water pump housing, using the K20A2 part if you want to retain the factory oil cooler.

So, what is your advice? Use the k20a2 oil pump but ditch the oil-to-water oil cooler idea? I hate to take the block to a machine shop to begin with.

My plans for this motor is all motor power and whatever else the future brings.

Thanks in advance,

Nikos

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
the oil to water oil cooler is really up to how anal you are about why honda does things. imo i say you should run some type of oil cooler. wheather it be stock honda or aftermarket. :cool: :up:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Type R oil pump fit for CRV block,as you saw in article.

but for future please know that type R pump doesn`t fit for tsx block!

I bought type R pump and want install into tsx, and it is not possible.
crankshaft holder has other casting, and differents also oil chain and other sprocket chain drive.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Dominicitr said:
Type R oil pump fit for CRV block,as you saw in article.

but for future please know that type R pump doesn`t fit for tsx block!

I bought type R pump and want install into tsx, and it is not possible.
crankshaft holder has other casting, and differents also oil chain and other sprocket chain drive.
So what did yopu end up using on the TSX motor? I am looking intyo freshening up my block too. I would like to instal;l a better oil pump and better water pump and also an external air/oil cooler...

what parts will swap on to the TSX block? what is the big advantage of switching the water and oil pump to the K20 counter parts? and can you use eigther or both without using the water/oil cooler?

where is Brian G?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
do you think its possible to set up the oem oil cooler without machining the block? could you just tap into the radiator hose and run a line from there?

also, a flex-a-lite oil cooler kit is only like $100... if i have the money im just going to do that, even though i already own an OEM rsx cooler

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I am looking in to upgrading to the RSX-S oil pump on the K24a2 (TSX) I was told it would need only a slight amount of maching to work...

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jon v said:
I am looking in to upgrading to the RSX-S oil pump on the K24a2 (TSX) I was told it would need only a slight amount of maching to work...
I would not do it. Later on, you can always do it while the engine is still in the car.

On my CRV k24a, I turned it around, took the oil pan off, removed 4 screws and voila!!

I removed it to get to the rods and crank. Honda installed the shafts for a reason... I don;t think that it is necessary for my application.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried bolting up the K20A2 oil pump to a K24A block and it didnt work. As far as I know, you have to bolt up the K20A2 main girdle (lower block) to the K24 block to use the K20A2 oil pump. Then I recomend line boring the crank main journals to insure proper alignment.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Another local guy is the one who is going to do the machining for me. he has already done it on his motor and said he has access to the machines. He said it is only a slight amount of machining that needs to be done to the RSX-S oil pump for it to clear the TSX girdle. I think that should be the most benificial way to go... :up:

:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.