Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing abit of research before I rebuild my motor and was wondering how far the crower stage 3's will produce power to aswell as how will there vavles, springs etc handle the rev's..
I want to be able to break past 300+whp and also rev past 9000 will the crower stuff live or not??

And does anyone have a recommendation of a piston kit to get that is over 13:1 compression to run with the Crower set-up aswell...

·
Registered
748 Posts
My previous motor, had stage 3 crower camshaft, crower pro rods, and all crower valvetrain and I Clayed the engine and it did have tight clearances with my cam-gear setup and it worked great..

for a race motor, I daily drove it and put over 10k miles and the new owner had put 12k miles and he has it forsale and they did tests on it and everything was pure in spec. compression etc.

crower products when followed by the specs given will work great. the rod stroke ratio on that motor was pretty bad...1.58 (thinking back) and it did some revs in the 9000rpm. the k24 with a 99mm stroke is only at a 1.54 rod ratio... so the h22a made great power up top, i doubt the reliability about it's rev would be a problem. with a k20 I would not even doubt it one second.

once you start looking at their product line you'll undestand a bit, once you see it and hold it in your hands you'll notice the quality and difference.

even their rods were incredibly close in spec on the small and big end for a production peice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Takes this as informational...not a sell.

9000 rpm is not a problem with the Crower cams (Stage 2 or 3) with the recommend spring and titanium retainer kit. Although the stock spring setup (yellow outer/red inner) and dished steel retainer can handle the high lift of any brand of camshafts, it is suspect above 8900 rpm. Something to consider: the Crower Ti-17 retainer is about 8 grams lighter than the factory steel design and each gram of weight you can remove from the valve (valve, retainer, keeper) is worth an extra 40-50 rpm increase in overall valve control...that's a 400 rpm gain by switching retainers alone. That, in addition to a premium wound dual spring designed specifically for high rpm, will give you valve control easily in excess of 9000 rpm without valve float.

On the bottom end, Crower has just released a new Maxi-Light, radial beam design "all motor" rod that is approximately 100 grams lighter than the standard design Crower connecting rod. The lighter rod allows greater throttle response and less rotating mass for added rpm potential.

CP, JE, Arias and Ross are all good brands and all offer adequate valve reliefs for the high lift cam profiles, but CP is definitely gaining in popularity.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Banned
320 Posts
CrowerCams said:
On the bottom end, Crower has just released a new Maxi-Light, radial beam design "all motor" rod that is approximately 100 grams lighter than the standard design Crower connecting rod. The lighter rod allows greater throttle response and less rotating mass for added rpm potential.
sweet!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks very much for the info..
I will might have to do the maths on the costs but I might try and get a crower package in the next month or so..
I will probably do the top end before the end of the season and then the bottom end during the winter, so I can run some K's in on the bottom end..
Whats that you say a drag car on the circuit, Damn right it will be...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the VTC tuning will be dependate on the motor.. You cant expect a manufacture to say this is the clearance.. if you have big vavles, milled head the VTC clearance will be reduced.
Personally I dont mind since I will be porting the head when the cams etc go in I will be able to check clearances at the same time.. I will post up my findings at the time..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
tinkerbell said:
crower ultralights sound good - will they be for the K24A1 as well?

indicative pricing?

sorry for OT
i have the same question... if i push these super-light rods in a K24 engine, how will they hold up?

all-motor, im planning maybe 8000rpm and up to (maybe not) 280-300whp, would i be better off with the conventional or the maxi-lite rods?

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
These rods are made for the k24a. As far as how well will they hold up, well I know a few people that have been revving the stock k24a internals to 8200 for a while with no problems.. I know they are asking for trouble but that is what I was told.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crower will have both a standard billet (forced induction/NOS) and the new Maxi-Light radial beam design (all motor) available as a shelf/stocking rod in the next 6 weeks for the K24A1.

As far as tuning cams goes, there's so many variables to just post a canned answer. We've been producing cams for the B series VTEC for 8+ years and there's still instances where tuned settings are completely opposite from the norm, but the dyno results are showing more HP.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
748 Posts
Gary,

Oversized valves will work. However this is the grey area. we have VTC tunning abilities that other engines didn't, however the issue with this is you might not have the same ability to advance it as much with a longer duration camshaft than as normal valve would... thus hindering advancement abilities..

I'm currently modyfing a chain assembly JIG so i can clay and mesure the clearance between valve to valve and piston to valve at all angles on the TSX block, afterwards I'm swaping the piston only on one cylinder and repeating the same tests so people will know what limits they have on stock pistons (CRV ELEMENT). If i can find a k20 core I could complete the clay testing with those as well... People are worried about the limits but once exposed openly then people will easily be convinced with the provided information and dyno numbers :)

I'm currently testing the Stage 2 3/4's now (just so you know) so i should have infomation for you soon. I also have ITB's so the dyno figures should be pretty close, although I've got a displacement Advantage ;) i'll make some runs with a plenum and tb also :)

i'd go stage 2 3/4 Gary.. if you wanna know why pm me for more info, i don't wanna clutter this thread to much.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will they have a problem with being bottled onto a stock block though.. If I port the head, put in the stage 3's and vavles etc... Will I need a higher comp, in order to get or see any real results or am I better to run te 2 3/4's with the stock bottom end and upgrade to the 3's in 3 months when I do the bottom end..

k20ahondas Great to see hear at K20A.org..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.