Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive used search, but nothing came up.

What is the correct torque spec for crank pulley bolt? In some sources I found 181lbf-ft with torque wrench, but in the manual for my vehicle FN2 K20Z4 (and for some other's like RSX) there is different method - 36lbf-ft plus additional 90 degrees, and apparently the later is lower torque spec which is around 111lbf-ft.

Which one is correct?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would follow the service manual for your engine.

I have never accurately torqued a crankshaft pulley bolt. I always just stick my breaker bar on it, go about a foot out, then put about all of my weight on it. Used the same method on my K20 and K24, never had any issues.

·
Registered
672 Posts
A buddy of mine does all his motors with a 1/2”
Impact and just holds a few seconds on the crank pulley bolt. I’ve never used this method as I’m scared to F my crank threads up, but it’s always worked for him Having built 30-40 k and b/d series engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive used search, but nothing came up.

What is the correct torque spec for crank pulley bolt? In some sources I found 181lbf-ft with torque wrench, but in the manual for my vehicle FN2 K20Z4 (and for some other's like RSX) there is different method - 36lbf-ft plus additional 90 degrees, and apparently the later is lower torque spec which is around 111lbf-ft.

Which one is correct?

View attachment 102979
The higher torque spec only applies if you use a new crankshaft/bolt, I'm guessing it's to stretch the bolt initially. If you're reusing the bolt/crank, just follow what they recommend. 36lb/ft + 90*

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m guessing its ok to use impact gun to remove it instead of breaker bar? I know it could be difficult to crack it and sometimes cheater bar must be used. Also my mate at work has 540nm air impact gun - will it do the job without damaging nothing internally?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've used an impact in the past.

However, I tried my Milwaukee M18 impact rated for 1400 lb ft (1900 nm) and it wouldn't break one loose. I was amazed that it wouldn't.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've used an impact in the past.

However, I tried my Milwaukee M18 impact rated for 1400 lb ft (1900 nm) and it wouldn't break one loose. I was amazed that it wouldn't.
You need a weighted socket my friend. I had a similar problem with my dewalt 1/2” that’s rated 1100 ft lb. tried over and over with nothing. Buddy brought the weighted 19 over and zipped it clean off without hesitation. It’s like a $25 socket but it’s designed for crank pulley removal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I’m guessing its ok to use impact gun to remove it instead of breaker bar? I know it could be difficult to crack it and sometimes cheater bar must be used. Also my mate at work has 540nm air impact gun - will it do the job without damaging nothing internally?
If you get a weighted socket that should work. They are super tough to break loose with a bar. You’ll probably have to put a pipe on your breaker bar otherwise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts