Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody making a console to fit over the shifter mechanism in the eg? I was looking at my shitty cut out stock one and was hoping to come to this site for an answer!! If anyone knows of any company making the console, please post away!! thanks
Peace

·
Registered
458 Posts
slowhatch4now said:
Anybody making a console to fit over the shifter mechanism in the eg? I was looking at my shitty cut out stock one and was hoping to come to this site for an answer!! If anyone knows of any company making the console, please post away!! thanks
Peace
Real soon,
K20a.org member (karcepts) has been developing a shifter unit that will allow you to bolt on a shifter and allow the use of the stock center console. His website is http://www.karcepts.com/. Pretty much gives you you an idea of how it will look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That thing looks cool as hell, I see some people are doing the underneath box thing so that they can use the stock eg console

Cool idea lmk when it comes out
Peace

·
Registered
3 Posts
so long as it doesn't block the path of the exhaust or interfere with the shifting at all it will be a great design..

·
Registered
537 Posts
slowhatch4now said:
That thing looks cool as hell, I see some people are doing the underneath box thing so that they can use the stock eg console

Cool idea lmk when it comes out
Peace
Hell weve had ours done about that same way for almost a year now....I think theyre over thinking it though.

BUT its a nice box.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Below are some pics of one of the Karcepts Shifter Box Prototypes and the Karcepts EG. Let me know what you guys think. I must mention that I cannot commit to a release date at this time until it is proven that this product is devoid of any possible flaws. If it does in fact come to sale to the public, they will sell for $500. It seems like there are other alternatives from other companies in the works. So here's something that you guys can use to compare them against.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
I like how you still have the 5spd shift knob, trying to keep it sleeper huh? j/k

·
Registered
495 Posts
Very sweet. Looks like a new carpet is in order. :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
excelcivicsi said:
damn looks hella good.

but

500 dollars god damn!
looks real good, but with 500 bucks you can consider the cost of labor and time you save with the karcept box. The regular way you would mount the shifter box on the top, its huge, no center console, sits up high as hell, you have to drill\cut a hole to run the line through the firewll, usually mean you have to rip the heater core and sometimes dash to get to it. And if you bought the razo shifter thats a hundred something more.

With the karcept box you got save a lot of time and labor (means you get the push on that gas faster), shifter height will be normal, short throw shifting, you get to keep you center console that leaves your Dr. Pepper reachable. no excessive cutting that will later leave huge holes and water leaks.

·
Punishin' Bitches
2,453 Posts
Very nice. I hope you release this to the public by May of this year. :D

·
Registered
495 Posts
vuaccordla said:
The regular way you would mount the shifter box on the top, its huge, no center console, sits up high as hell, you have to drill\cut a hole to run the line through the firewll, usually mean you have to rip the heater core and sometimes dash to get to it. And if you bought the razo shifter thats a hundred something more.

With the karcept box you got save a lot of time and labor (means you get the push on that gas faster), shifter height will be normal, short throw shifting, you get to keep you center console that leaves your Dr. Pepper reachable. no excessive cutting that will later leave huge holes and water leaks.
And that is huge. However, I agree the 5 is a little excessive. I understand how the tooling and designing process can be time consuming and expensive. Hopefully once the production of the boxes increase the expected prices can be brought down to reflect more reasonable K buyer discounts.

Agreed, not cutting through the wall, able the route underneath with stock shifter height, huge!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn i thought something like this would cost something like 100-150 USD wow who would have thought 500, i could customize something myself thank you.
Peace

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I feel all your guys’ pain, and appreciate the responses. There is not much that can be done w/ cost. Engineering hours spent on designing, prototyping, and testing are not reflected in that price. Neither is the labor involved to assemble these things. A price was determined based on the cost of materials only with an initial investment of purchasing enough parts to assembly a quantity of 50 shifter box units. If I am able to unload hundreds of these things a year, then sure, the price will decrease, but at this time, I’m not willing to invest that type of capital into this market.

The whole idea behind this product was to be able to offer something that is bolt-in, eliminating any major modifications to the chassis; and additionally incorporating short throw shifting and the stock factory appearance. Unfortunately, all of that comes w/ a price. :( Sorry to disappoint…

·
Punishin' Bitches
2,453 Posts
Where in MD are you located? I would def. be interested in picking one up in person(when the time comes May or June) and maybe meeting you and looking at that nice swap you have going. :D

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
BolivianFuego said:
Where in MD are you located? I would def. be interested in picking one up in person(when the time comes May or June) and maybe meeting you and looking at that nice swap you have going. :D
Frederick, MD... You're in VA, right? Check your PM...

·
Banned
320 Posts
I'm torn on this one. On one hand I like the cleaner appearance and cable routing of your system, and the ability to use the factory center console. On the other hand, I like how the shifter is higher with the RSX box, meaning that you don't have to move your hand as far to get from the wheel to the shifter. I dunno. I think I would buy one just for the cleaner look though.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
909edge said:
I'm torn on this one. On one hand I like the cleaner appearance and cable routing of your system, and the ability to use the factory center console. On the other hand, I like how the shifter is higher with the RSX box, meaning that you don't have to move your hand as far to get from the wheel to the shifter. I dunno. I think I would buy one just for the cleaner look though.
How about I just hook you up w/ a shifter shaft that's a foot longer! :D

Anyway, there's still a lot of testing to do, and revisions to make. Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Karcepts said:
BolivianFuego said:
Frederick, MD... You're in VA, right? Check your PM...
Dammit, wish i had known about this alittle sooner. Now i gotta pull the cables back thru the firewall.

I'm in Jersey and definitely interested in one of these too. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts