Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high of a comp ration can you run on a sleeved k24 tsx block with a worked A2 head while still using pump gas? How high can you go before you can ONLY use race fuel.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It most certainly does. Combustion stability will be the result of alot of factors. That being mixture hemogeny, the presence of stress risers in the chamber, oil content in the chamber, cam design and much more.

Thinking in terms of a static compression ratio is one thing as a basis, but understanding what goes down dynamically is another. Larry (owner of Endyn), has successfully run motors at 13:1 on pump gas in Texas heat. This was solely the design of the piston and the chamber, as well as the tuning of course. His rollerwave piston design successfully manipulates the mixture in the chamber by isolating it towards the exhaust valves. It exhibits very stable mixture hemogeny, and as a result detonation resistance.

In that scenario the quench pads must be worked to be just over .040 from the piston in order to be entirely effective. That is where working both sides of the chamber come into play. Be sure to debur everything as well. Reduce pockets and hiding areas for hydrocarbons also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing...where can I get these pistons? Also what exactly must be done to head in order to run 13:1...can you get in detail a little more in that aspect?

·
Registered
81 Posts
they are wiseco pistons designed by endyn. as far as i know they do not make a k series application as of yet. although i believe import builders has a similar line of pistons for Ks.the combustion chamber on a stock k series head is quite good, but you want to minimize the dome at all possible by milling,thinner gasket, etc. if your planning on sleeving and enlarging the bore this would be your best option of increasing compression and doin it safely as it will allow you to run a more flat top piston which is ideal. thermal coatings on the piston tops and chambers can also help reduce detonation

·
Registered
285 Posts
civdx94 said:
they are wiseco pistons designed by endyn. as far as i know they do not make a k series application as of yet. although i believe import builders has a similar line of pistons for Ks.t
i believe Jeff from IB used to work for Endyn, so Jeff's pistons might be similar to the Rollerwaves.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Trashy-J said:
What exactly must be done to safely run 13:1 daily on pump gas?
LoL, did you not read anything these guys posted? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
381 Posts
K2e2vin said:
i believe Jeff from IB used to work for Endyn, so Jeff's pistons might be similar to the Rollerwaves.
i would DEFINITELY not say that.. haha , he never worked with Larry... in case you dont know the history behind that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
suckafree said:
i would DEFINITELY not say that.. haha , he never worked with Larry... in case you dont know the history behind that.
yea i think youre right. but i know it had to do with something about Jeff finding out about Larry's shop or something. i cant find it but i remember him making a post about it awhile back on some honda forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, skip the drama of peoples buisness lives and lets get back on topic guys. Tell me what I'm missing

1. Debur and smooth out the head and make it so no gasses and what not can be trapped in.

2. Thin head gasket.

3. See if Endyn could possibly make a rollerwave piston if they're sent the correct specs.

4. Proper tuning..which is an obvious given.

Now as for the combustion chambers...how must they be worked..and did I forget anything else that should be done?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, you can go to many levels of combustion chamber work....how much money do you have?

A basic chamber workover would include a basic debur, some smoothing around the valve entry/outlets, possibly a little unshrouding. An upgrade to high compression valves would be advisable to remove the pockets that the stockies have.

A higher level of chamber work would be further unshrouding of the valves, rounding the entry to the exhaust valves, while gaining some angularity on the intake valve exit (all aiding in overlap and anti-reversion). You would further have all the quench pads CNC'd to specific depth (in the case of recessed pad heads), or for heads with closed chambers you could actually weld up the chamber further and go for the cloverleaf approach. This would yeild compression gain and increase combustion efficiency. You could also look to chamber thermal barrier coatings which also aid in increasing combustion efficiency.

Basically though, this isn't something to be answered in a forum. You need to go off and do some serious research. Just jumping in with a compression number is your first mistake. You need to start with your goals, then put together a package that fits your needs. "X" amount of compression isn't the appropriate starting point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.