Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discover today that he passed away....sad and rest in peace.
Nevertheless....i'm still waiting from him what i paied for....only something like 12K$.....sad, very sad....

Nicolas
hes been gone for 4 years. long time to be sitting idle being owed 12k

·
Registered
25 Posts
Joe M on Hot Version (Vol 85, 2007). I just stumbled across this and haven't even watched it thru.

He shows up about 5 minutes in. No subtitles, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ_sfdQ406w

ETA: I won't tell you how it ends but Joe's blown k-motor Elise looks and sounds great on the track and his comments in the end are as forthright as his rep predicts. Worth a watch.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Joe M on Hot Version (Vol 85, 2007). I just stumbled across this and haven't even watched it thru...
There is an article about this, which was also distributed by American Touge, can be read at superstreetonline.com: https://www.k20a.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3207545&postcount=15 (s. post #15). There exists the same video with an English comment done for American Touge series in episode 3.

Distributed by GT Channel: http://dai.ly/xlbsuw with English under title. Joe appears at 17:16 min.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
5th year of commemorate of Joe McCarthy

This is the 5th year of the commemorate of Joe McCarthy. I am very thankful I did get him know from a few discussions here at K20a.org and a few emails. I was a greenhorn in NA engine development and when I go back to this conversations I get a bit ashamed of myself about my boring questions to him. I have had built a very simple intake manifold model in 2014, which simulated VE of the engine according a scientific paper of Tomas Rozsas. The model gave me an optimum for a ID 60 mm/390 mm length IM VE at around 8700 rpm with a VTC of 10°. Today, after 4 years of engine tuning and designing race engines, I know the Rozsas-model was a bit retarded, but not to bad. Anyway, Joe even took his time in his last days to answer them. He wrote:

JoeMcCarthy said:
Elise,
Any particular reason you chose 10 degrees VTC? The engine will VERY likely never see that except on its way to the zero lock.
You go ahead and believe whatever you want to, whether its written, spoken, or whispered in your ear.
Joe's kind of answering my post did wake me up to go more deep into it to understand why his IM and H performed like his dyno sheets showed it. They performed different in torque width and height compared to all what I've seen before in the allmotor scene. I wanted to understand why. So I started to solve engine issues here at K20a.org to learn more about the K-series engine, I learned to tune K-series engines by solving engine failures and I programed a lot of tools to calculate and simulate engines myself.

During that process and because of the 9.0 IM vs. ITB comparison of ukir85 I began to understand why Joe's H and IM did work like they worked. I found out their weaknesses and strengths, which was again an inspiration for me. End of year 2015, when I started my guessing game or own NA engine project, I was convinced it was possible to develop an allmotor engine which was able to pull 130 Nm/Liter (96 lbft/Liter or 16 bar of BMEP) at flywheel over a bandwidth of 4000 rpm. I never saw such a NA performance level before - peak yes, but not 4000 rpm of width - so it seemed to me challenging enough. After I had to quit mountain biking because of knee issues I had plenty of sparetime for that.

Now, 5 years after Joe passed away, my engine project get's near to the point where the engine will tell us if this level of performance is possible, or I just "...go ahead...." But, Joe inspired me with his work and woke me up always to go ahead. Many thanks for your inspiration Joe! Rest in Peace.

IMG-20190503-WA0004.jpg

The DAMPFHAMMER engine completed May, 2019

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
6th year of commemorate of Joe McCarthy

It's already the 6th year after Joe has passed away. I still use my Joe's best statement and lectures collection to make sure I am on the right way or to have a "2nd meaning". Even after six years his posts are still of great value for me.

The inspiration, owing to Joe, drives me further. I took the DAMPFHAMMER engine to the dyno. Before the gearbox broke, the engine pulled around 274 [email protected] rpm (= 202 lbft), which is good for a 2022 ccm engine. More to come from the engine dyno, a friend and I are actually building. I have further engine projects on my list, so I founded my own Motorsport engine development and tuning company. Thanks Joe, for your inspiration.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Joe's motivation to post his knowledge here at K20a.org:
Joe McCarthy said:
Signalpuke,
What I'm getting at here is this widely held misconception that a street driven engine somehow needs less air and must make less HP than an engine that's being raced. That's a totally false assumption and its leading people down a path that doesn't need to be followed.
It has to do with education and a lot of this stuff isn't readily available in commonly published books. The automotive press is absolutely horrible at this task. To read about it you'd have to pay to join the SAE and then pay for every tech paper you wanted to read, and most of that would fly right over the heads of the average guy because the SAE is an organization made up of scientists and engineers and they write at that level.
Educated people make better decisions, and I'm just trying to help that process along, whether it has anything to do with me personally or not.
Later on he wrote to another user here...

Joe McCarthy said:
The way you've been treating this machine is already straight out of the ghetto-rules handbook. If the head gasket is blown out in any way shape or form it means the engine needs to be removed, disassebled, measured, and the reason for that failure determined immediately and corrected before the engine is even started again. You've just compounded the original problem by ignoring the fact that the engine's been screaming for attention and you continued to drive it in a severely wounded condition. So now you managed to kill it completely, and its going to cost you substantially more to fix.
Right now you're at the very bottom of a really steep learning curve. Enjoy the climb.
He was a man of his word! This happens so many times, K20a.org counted around 500 posts of him, where around 300 of them where full of knowledge of him. Like the next one...

Joe McCarthy said:
Puke,
Seems I missed a couple of your questions: If memory serves me we ran about 32 degress of ignition lead with the MS109, pretty much the same as with pump gas. Best HP N/A always seems to be at 13.2-13.4:1, but that depends on the sensor to some degree so its not a value that can be written in stone.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
JoeMcCarthy said:
Another example of the second order harmonic beating Honda's third order manifold on the same engine. We didn't bother doing any low speed cam tuning on the 8.5 manifold test, that's the reason the curves fall off so sharply below 4,250 RPM. As you can see the RBC manifold makes the torque start falling off at 6,600 RPM but its not too bad until 7,500 where it starts falling so quickly it actually makes the HP curve go flat. This is what's happening when you feel an engine stop pulling hard, the torque curve is falling off so rapidly the engine can't continue making more HP as the RPM increases. The second order harmonic comes to the rescue in the 8.5 manifold and allows the engine to make more torque between 7,300 and 7,700 than it did between 5,700 and 7,200, and keeps the engine pulling hard all the way to 8,500. Same engine, 39 extra ponies.

8.5 IM vs RBC IM

I got this from member katman, who was designing and work out the website "http://numberoneracing.com". This dyno sheet was inspiring me and got me started doing my own NA engine setup. Thanks katman for sharing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first time posting on this forum and I am disappointed that it is under these circumstances. I met Joe sometime in 2007, I was working in the warehouse across from Joe's shop. One day I was leaving work and I saw Joe washing an engine block, so the following day I went over to his shop to talk to him. A few weeks earlier I read the article in a car magazine about the 10k k20 that he built and I was shocked to find out that I was speaking to the engine builder himself. We talked for a long time, he told me about himself and the work he was doing. He was a really cool guy that genuinely loved what he did. After a few contacts with him I asked him if I could be his apprentice and he was open to the idea he even introduced me to the guys at Hondata. I helped rearrange his shop so that I could have my own work area. Each time I went over I learned something new from him. I always enjoyed hanging out with him and getting to know him.

I eventually bought an MR2 Spyder with the plan of swapping a supercharged 2zz-ge and make a “poor man’s Elise”. Joe always talked lots of shit about the 2zz, but I had a Celica at the time and considered myself a Toyota guy. I took a welding class, engine building class, and composites class just so that I could learn the trade and do as much on my car as possible. I still have my MR2 and continue to work on it. The 2zz is in and the supercharger plan was changed to a turbocharger instead. I still have my notebook with the notes that I would take while hanging out with Joe.

I ended up leaving the job and continue working at my second job and would stop by Joe’s shop as much as I could. I was recently out of college with a lot of school debt and got a steady job that made it difficult to hang out with Joe more. I remember at one point he told me that he didn’t know if all the changes he had done at his shop was worth it since I wasn’t really available as I was before. We stayed in contact but after a while we just kinda stopped communicating I’m sure that Joe was annoyed with me for basically wasting his time.

I can honestly say that I feel I wasted an opportunity to really learn from a great engineer and fabricator. My priorities were elsewhere at the time and ai do regret that I didn’t take advantage of Joe’s willingness to teach me. I with that I had the balls back then to learn from him and make a living on that knowledge and skill. I still appreciate what I learned from Joe and I wish that I had still maintained contact with him. It made me really sad to find this thread. I only come up on it because I was going through old pictures of dynos from Joe and I decided to look him up to see if he was still doing stuff for the Elise. I apologize for the long post, just wanted to get my thoughts out. I’ll always remember how Joe always said that he loved what he did and that he didn’t care if he was rich. I’ll see you on the other side Joe. Rest in peace.

Noel

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Oh man, I really like that post and appreciate your thoughts about your time with Joe. I really really appreciate it. It would be great to read more about your time with Joe here, I really would appreciate that. He wrote so many posts here of great knowledge stuff here, it would be great to know more about him self. E.g. you wrote he was an engineer, that's great to know, it explains his engineering like approaches. Did you met Joe before or after he had founded IPS?

Regarding the 10 krpm K20 engine, it would be great to read that article and to link it here. Do you have the link to it? Do you wish to see more dyno pictures of Joe's engine developments and comparisons? Let me know, may we can organize it, I also have some of his dyno pictures, which were published on his no more existing numberoneracing.com website.

Markus

41 - 50 of 50 Posts