Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is in loving memory of Joe McCarthy.

Shortly after I got a member of K20A.org I had some diverting, inspiring and interesting discussions with a not seldom noisy, invective and cursing, but very, in terms of engine building, experienced guy here.

It began in the end of 2013, when I started to discuss in the 8.5 manifold thread with him some issues. I was really curious about his intake manifold development :D.

After some posts we got in contact via email and there I saw a bit more of his character: surprisingly warm-hearted, pleasant, humorous and very adjuvant. Just what I saw from those 6 emails we wrote each other. I never got to know him personally, where he came from or what was all on his way of life. I just had this tiny experience with him, but it was in this vein, I will never forget.

Now, over one year he passed away, I still think of his kind of viewing things from a broader perspective, his accurate doing things and his enourmous knowlegde about engine building, he was willing to share with the community.

Just today, coming back from an journey, I did some research for this here and found a pretty nice blog, keeping him in memory: http://joemccarthy.info/

RIP Joe

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Joe's nature

this post is reserved for the best stories, most helpful advices, funiest comments.

Nice and wise :D:
Joe's motivation for K20a.org (s. http://www.k20a.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1673983&postcount=9)
The main reason I'm sharing my opinions and knowledge with you guys is that I see so much disinformation, misinformation, rumor, ignorance, and untruth on these forums that I feel compelled to counteract it to the degree I'm able to. This forum format has the potential to be a really useful tool, but if its loaded with nothing but Bullshit the potential is lost and everyone is the loser in that game. I'm 65 years old and have been modifying, building, and inventing mechanical things since I was 12, so I have a wider and deeper range of experience than most if not all of the forum's population. I also recall quite vividly some of the bone-head mistakes I made in the past, so I feel a responsibility to help you guys from doing the same kind of things. This works with some people, others feel the need to find everything out the hard way, and some never learn. Just the nature of the beast.
Ignorance is NOT bliss, its just the beginning of a painful and expensive learning curve.
I'll finish this later, I have a meeting to go to right now.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Joe's development
Joe did a lot of own developments, like improvements to get a more save redline operation and to get a better volumetric efficiency of the engine. I believe I am aware only of a part of those, so everyone is invited to add more of them. I will add it to this post.

Headers:

Remarkable fabrication skills and a highly sophisticated exhaust manifold design :up:

4-2-1 header for the Lotus Elise (Source: dstevens)

Intake manifolds:
Joe was I friend of a pressure wave harmonic based design, which led him to produce intake manifolds for several rev limits and applications. He just called them like their peak power engine speed was:

The 8.5

(Source: iBUILT)

The 9.0

Doesn't fit in Lotus Elise chassis :( (Source: K20A.org, forgot the link to the member)

The unfinished 10.3

(Source: http://joemccarthy.info/)

The K20 SC powered Lotus Elise
Based on his K-swap-kit for the Lotus Elise, he build a SC boosted K23A powered '05 Lotus Elise (pictures). After participating in the preliminaries of American Touge, Keiichi Tsuchiya (professional racer) and Yasuyuki Kazama (well known dirft racer) did their commendations to Joe's Elise and placed him in part 3 on first place :up:

Later on GT Channel did a visit to Joe to his Prototype Racing-shop: http://gtchannel.com/blog/visit-prototype-racing

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe was tough to deal with, but still sad to see him pass.
Yes, indeed :D...on the one hand, on the other...and I believe there some others here, who have the same sad feeling about his pass..., as he was one of that guys here introducing valuable knowledge and experience into the forum and he was one of them here who shared some minutes (not to say tons of hours, what will hit the truth more likely) of his time by supporting with some advice.

I saved some room above for the best stories, most helpful advices, funiest comments and so on to keep him in memory for those who knew him and for those who didn't have the chance to get to know one of his side blows, advices, stories, tips, knowledge and experience.

I believe one, who collect his written thoughts to the community, can write a valuable book out of all of that. But once I asked Joe why he didn't want to write a book, he answered he just want to do it in a dialog not by to soliloquize. So I believe this little portrait of Joe should also be found where he liked to keep the dialog alive: here, at K20A.org.

So, you and everbody else is invited to help to collect the best stories, most helpful advices, funiest comments (like your signature :D) and so on of Joe McCarthy.

Many thanks in advance for every help/support to this :up:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I personally met Joe in 2013 when I was experiencing an oiling issue in the top end of my k. Just switched to the larger Cartel 4 cams and they were eating the journal areas. He chimed in on a thread I started about the problem and said he experienced the same thing before and found a fix. At that time I just recently completed the Kswap MRS Spyder and was also looking for exhaust manifold options and seeing as though it was a one off swap I had trouble sourcing a header or getting one manufactured. Spoke with Joe a few times via phone and he seemed really knowledgeable. Not the knowledgeable like "yea that seems right" or "I heard this guy did this before" but "WTF is this guy on knowledgeable". I just asked him about fabricating a header and he sounds like I asked him to make something to get to the moon. Anyhow, he talked a good game, said he would look over the car see what he could do with thee exhaust, offer something on fixing the oiling issues and just suspension pointers on the chassis. I've seen his lotus in some vids on youtube and it looked really stout so figured WTH I'll drive the 2-3hrs to meet him.

Got up early, made the trip. At first I was really skeptical, He worked out of this large warehouse that seemed to have business doing something else and he worked within a small space of it with his machining equipment. Saw the lotus in there, a few NSX's, other "nice cars" and of course I asked if the NSX's belonged to him and were they for sale? He said "Those Shit boxes?!I'd never own those and you don't want them either" I kinda laughed it off and thought this OLD MAN is a quack. He went into this longwinded overture about the NSX and that's how most of the day went. I would ask one simple question and he would make me rethink all that I've learned which isn't a lot concerning him. Spoke about his time in the military and even made me question why I serve. Said he was the first one to have a k20 imported from japan and I believe around that time Paul Walker died and some how he knew the guy and a list of other automotive notables. Probably gave me one of the best pieces of advice "Don't step on your own dick" no matter what stupid shit you do "don't step on your dick". He talked about the internet when it began to come about to were it is now and he felt really disappointed in the way it was used. Joe held a high passion for engineering, a sense of accuracy like no other I've met. I've raced motorcycles, been to japan, other parts of the world and met great folks. In my experiences being I'm in the medical field. Surgeons doctors and engineers are the only people that I get the same sense of passion, precision and understanding Joe had. He did make the cam tower oil mod for me, the same day and he had an experience about that too. I'm sure if he hadn't passed he would've done the exhaust manifold. You know when someone tells you they've forgotten more than you ever learned. He was probably one of those guys. It was a good experience meeting Joe McCarthy one that I wont forget. "Don't step on your dick"

·
Registered
541 Posts
One of the brightest men Ive ever talked to. he would definitely make you rethink your understanding of some critical things. I spent alot of time sending emails back and forth with him during my deployment in 2012-2013. I actually found out who he was from this site.

I threw an idea by him one day to let me apprentice under him, he said he may entertain that idea, and to let him know when I returned and when I was ready. I did a few months before his passing. After a few emails I realized this wasnt the same dude I had talked with for around a year with. He told me he couldnt take on an apprentice and apologized. I was a bit bummed, and soon later realized he passed around that time. His health must have been in a detrimental stage, I can understand why he wouldnt want a complete stranger to fly half way across the country to possibly learn or have his time wasted.

The things Ill take away from him is that "something doesnt stem from nothing", "alot of products in this industry are used to cover up a previous parts fuck up", "most of the cam manufacturers are using crap chinese cores".

He always stood for what he believed in, no matter how many keyboard warriors trolled him. I admire his precision, ingenuity, and passion; however I think the way he promoted his brand was lacking, he was just "old school" thats all I can say.

RIP Joe.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...time waits for nobody I suppose.
I am afraid not. If one can say in the end of his days "I am ready with everything, time to leave that place"...wow, this is admirable and wise. But like you said, consequently we all should always be prepared...hard stuff.

Joe did his last months a lot of documention of his experience here at K20a.org and somewhere else, a little more than before, a lot of guys profit from that up today and sure in future too. Once I did ask him why he don't write a book out of that, he just answered like the efficiency here is much higher.

I copied all his messages into one document - unedit +250 DIN A4 pages full of experience :wow:, of course without any slopy hole comments :D, only the valuable once - you can read just as a wikipedia document or a encyclopedia.

He was a wise guy, he did understand, all that knowhow get's a bigger value if he give it to the public. The distance of his knowhow to the average was still there, even to the competitors as details make that system working as a complete system. Not by all means, but in many :D. I really do and did like this kind of sincerity of Joe, a generous engine builder!

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I met Joe in person around Feb. 2013 as part of a trio business partnership in helping him push/sell the 8.5 manifold. He's everything everyone has mentioned here. He seemed to live off cigs and Mountain dew. Fabricator diet I guess =)

When we didn't need to meet up for 8.5 fitment testing, we had a lot of emails going back and forth. I still have them all. Of course I learned a handful of things from him with the many many stories he had whenever I came to by the shop.

We did an 8.5 manifold dyno testing at Churches with my car in Augusts 2013 to gather some in-house "street car" dyno data. That was the only testing we did as we had a 'falling out' soon after because of some disagreements that I'd rather not go into. I didn't talk to him for about a month or so and reconnected with him around november 2013. Around that time he said he was having some kind of 'ocular' (eye) issues relating to staring at a computer screen for long periods of time. Said his doc told him to stay off the computer. I think the last we conversed through email was late December '13 or January '14 and then radio silence. I got word from my friend about his passing around May '14. Quite shocking news.

Wish we had a better relationship at the end there but it is what it was.

RIP JOE.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some seconds to rest in thoughts for Joe

It's a silent 3rd anniversary of Joe McCarthy's death. He may won't like it I remembering him here, but it is worth to do it, as he was the first guy importing a K20 engine (engine no. 37 if I remember it right) to the US and starting a most influencing wave in the tuning scene. One of the most innovative guys of the K-series scene at his time, still inspiring to me.

Source: http://gtchannel.com

Rest in peace, Joe!

Markus

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joe around 2002, meeting with Derek from Hondata
Source: joemccarthy.info

Derek from Hondata said:
This was not long after I met Joe. He had imported a European Exige. I believe it had the Honda engine in it at this point. Joe would come around to Hondata and bug me for an ECU solution for the car. Eventually we had something that would work for him.

-Derek
s. joemccarthy.info

1 - 20 of 50 Posts