Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

for my 89x86 build I got a K20A block and a K20Z4 head in my sights.

I read about different cooling water flow pathes of A and Z model (http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53052) and different sensors (pressure, crank and VSS in http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81303). But it is still not clear for me if that is possible or could made possible.

Does anyone combine that two pieces together without any issues (considering talonxracer' head gasket advice)?

Thanks

Markus

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
biggest thing is the oil drain on the back of the block...
Thanks drtye. Maybe I don't understand oil drain...do you mean the oil passage from head to block? For my understanding the Z-model gasket and coolant diverter (s. http://www.k20a.org/forum/showpost.php?p=432979&postcount=2) should solve that issue. Or am I wrong?

...why that head though?
K20Z4 has RSP stamp and flows like the following:

K20Z4 heads are easy to get here in Europe.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
AHHH, didn't realize it was an rsp head. that's good to know. shoot, take some pics of it and ill chime in what I have found out.
A little teaser shot :D

I am excited about things you found out :)...

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
...shoot, take some pics of it and ill chime in what I have found out.
Hi drtye, anything you wanted to add? I would like to hear/read more about your experience with it. BTW just for your interest, the FD2 and the FN2 share the same cylinder head: 12100-RSP-000. Biggest difference to the US RBC head are the ports of the RSP head:

K20Z4 (RSP stamp, FN2 or FD2 chassis) with non-stock valves, but stock port (s. http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/FD2K20AR/)

K20Z3 (RBC stamp, RSX chassis) with all stock

Both pictures are sourced by member K20Z3allmotor, found here

·
Premium Member
10,582 Posts
The head looks like it should bolt on with out an issue. The issues that I have found relate to the rl5 block with a conventional head. I was unsure at first if the head you are using was of the standard architecture or of the rl5. I do not have access to a real computer so photo editing to show the differences becomes interesting at best. When I get to work I will try to photograph the differences when I get a couple more parts in to accommodate the different crankshaft position sensors. I also need to get my engine accessories from my other motor in storage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
K24a3 + K20Z4 is the most popular frank set in Europe and it fits perfectly with no issues.

But... some people do K24a3 + K20a2 frank. So... is the K20a block originally combined with K20a2 head? If so, then if K20a2 head fits to K24a3 block and with K20Z4 is the same... K20Z4 head should fit K20a block. But these are only my general predictions.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help :up:...that head is a piece of pretty best OEM port work. I never saw that on a mass production engine...just wow :D
Thanks m723tec...it verifies that the combination of A- and Z-type block-head combination is possible :D

The head looks like it should bolt on with out an issue. The issues that I have found relate to the rl5 block with a conventional head. I was unsure at first if the head you are using was of the standard architecture or of the rl5. I do not have access to a real computer so photo editing to show the differences becomes interesting at best. When I get to work I will try to photograph the differences when I get a couple more parts in to accommodate the different crankshaft position sensors. I also need to get my engine accessories from my other motor in storage.
Thanks drtye for your experience with that...

...K24a3 + K20Z4 is the most popular...some people do K24a3 + K20a2 frank. So... is the K20a block originally combined with K20a2 head? If so, then if K20a2 head fits to K24a3 block and with K20Z4 is the same... K20Z4 head should fit K20a block....
Nothing to add to your Boolean algebra :D. Thanks deibral :up:

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Summarizing the above, combination will fit with the head related gasket. There are questions left like what about the EGR-path of the RSP head, sensor issues and thinks I actually haven't in my mind :D...

...meantime one further picture of a stock intake port of the RSP-2 head with it stock valves...marvelous :D.

Source: head in front of my cam :wowzers:...sorry for the picture quality (9 year old Sony Ericsson K800i, worldest first 3.2 mega pixel foto shooting cell phone), maybe I have to do a training with CHILD LOL :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts