Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to reach PIC all day and I cant hold of them. So on the level of stiffness, is it lower the number the harder it is? Or does it go the other way. I need some coilovers that are going to be stiff enough for my setup to get traction. I was thinking of the 10/8 setup. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Can you rephrase your question?

I'm running the PIC selects 10/8. The 10 is the front spring rate (10k = 560lbs), and the 8 is the rear spring rate (8k = ~450lbs). The adjustment knob on the coilover has an arrow for softer -> firmer.

Once I got my suspension dialed in, and good tires, I don't have any real issues with traction. However I've just got a n/a k20a.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh... i thought just lower the number, the stiffer the ride will be. I didnt know it actually had to do with weight.
I just need something that is going to help me get traction. my car will be between 500 and 600 hp. my car will not be a daily, just a weekend warrior and taking to the strip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
8k = 8kg/mm so for every 8kg of weight applied to the spring it will drop by 1mm.

the same goes for the lb one except its lb/in.

for what you are using the car for go with 10/8's

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Ok so im tryin to figure out this whole suspension setup thing myself too now. Whats the best way to have it set up? Right now I have Apex-I N1 full coilover on my EG hatch and I have the rear adjusters turned all the way stiff, and my fronts are like half way between stiff and soft. Is that not correct? Cause for having an LSD tranny, camber kit, good coilovers, good tires, and some bs H brace to help with caster I still have a rough time hookin up. My motor consists of a K20a(R) on an 88 shot and my 1st gear spins like all hell off the bottle. It seemed like my car got better traction with a Type S motor and shitty suspension lol, it still spun but it was a good kind that still kinda hooked up(if that makes sense) lol. Can you give me some advice? lol Thanks :up:

·
Registered
4,294,967,294 Posts
First you need to know your vehicle's weight. I would find an alignment shop nearby that can corner balance so that you can get a rough estimate of what you are looking at. Here is a lil thread explaining what corner balancing is, and why it is so important. http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34652
Also, here is another thread with more info as to what the numbers mean, and other things to consider. http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28013
After you get your car situated with a suspension setup you can start tackling the alignment specs. Remember, adjustable coil over suspension is only different than a non-adjustable setup in that you can change the effective load at each tire (measured in weight when corner balancing). Changing the alignment specs will determine your tire contact patch under varying conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts