Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have confirmed in my introduction thread that I have a 2005 si with the k20a2, with k20a2 head swapped from the rsx type s. 5 speed Trans, and stock type s ECU. Doesn't have any aftermarket ECU additions and isn't tuned, etc.

So far I have the following codes.
Netbook Cloud Sky Automotive lighting Gadget

Cloud Communication Device Output device Gadget Flat panel display

Communication Device Font Rectangle Mobile device Gadget

I had brought it to a shop recently and he said he replaced the canister. I do have to say I think the fuel smell doesn't exist anymore, but the code hasn't turned off. Even after disconnecting the battery (which I'm assuming would soft reset the codes), they remain. I haven't tried physically deleting the code, but I assumed the shop mechanic would have done that anyway.

The map sensor one seems to not come on unless I rev close to the red line area (~7k+ rpm). It currently doesn't show, but I haven't reved it real high recently. I'm curious if I can reproduce this.

Otherwise as some other person suggested, I have taken some readings from the live OBD2 data, at idle (not including wide open because I don't think I did it right, and I don't want to get yelled at O'Reilly's).

Here's video of OBD2 at idle:

Any help pointing me in a right direction or helping me understand these issues is appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
are you using the MAP sensor the ECU expects?
Besides electric issues this is the only way I can see how such a code can be thrown for a naturally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one thought I've had before, I suppose I could check if the sensor has a part number I can lookup. On this note however, I'm assuming my throttle body is for the type s motor, but haven't been able to confirm the part.

Could a slightly different throttle body assembly mess anything up, or would it generally be the same between k20a3 vs k20a2?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This is the K20a2 OEM MAP sensor.

I have read somewhere that all K-series use the same MAP sensor.
if so, then your ECU sees a voltage at its input higher than what it expects.

In your video, indicated MAP seems fine art 9 inHg or 300 mbar. This is normal. The rest of the data also look plausible. What it did show is a TPS value of 7.8% assuming you are at idle. This is not correct. Its should read 0%.
Did you remove the TPS at some point?

Here is what the manual says on your errors:
Font Circle Rectangle Number Magenta

The EVAP system test is much more laborious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be fair, I think I've seen the map sensor reading to be above 11 inhg, but not sure if that was at idle. From that description above and my procedure I remember doing at O'Reilly's the other day, maybe this checks out for a bad sensor.

Btw sometimes the idle rpm goes up and down, so these pictures could be at idle? I can't remember.

I haven't touched the tps since getting the car, unless the mechanic did something when doing other work. Should I check this component too? I haven't seen any tps error codes so far
Product Telephony Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment

White Light Product Blue Gadget

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
the TPS value either indicates that the throttle cable is under tension at idle leaving the throttle slightly open or the TPS got turned on the shaft. It can be adjusted. Or someone fiddled with the throttle stop screw, e.g. to compensate for a non-functioning IACV.
Unless this is fixed, you cannot expect a stable idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts