Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked in more than too many different variations.. I'm not concerned about brand.. but moreless in general.. what do you guys prefer and why?.. I think this is question should be geared (no pun intended) toward the people who have had experience with both puck and disc. And I would really like some insight from the HIGH HORSE (240+) N/A Daily Driven kinda setups.

I havent quote chosen whether my car will be Daily Driven.. ..but at the least it would be my Weekend Warrior.. which will see the track and the strip... But if i decide to take it to work or school one day.. I can do it without hessitation.

Again... Im not asking for brands FTW.. unless you have an unbiased PRO or CON about the product.

Any FACTUAL imput is appreciated!

·
Banned
4,358 Posts
I know this question has been asked in more than too many different variations.. I'm not concerned about brand.. but moreless in general.. what do you guys prefer and why?.. I think this is question should be geared (no pun intended) toward the people who have had experience with both puck and disc. And I would really like some insight from the HIGH HORSE (240+) N/A Daily Driven kinda setups.

I havent quote chosen whether my car will be Daily Driven.. ..but at the least it would be my Weekend Warrior.. which will see the track and the strip... But if i decide to take it to work or school one day.. I can do it without hessitation.

Again... Im not asking for brands FTW.. unless you have an unbiased PRO or CON about the product.

Any FACTUAL imput is appreciated!
Full race will hold just fine for a daily driver. Its the whole DRAG STRIP that should make most people want to go away from it. The full face will hold for many launches time and again, but throw on a set of sticky-ickies and you risk smoking that clutch after a few good hard launches.

Having ran everything clutchmasters has to offer in vehicles of mine, i finally broke down to say that the FX400 is probably the best clutch they have in the line up. If a person were to drive the full face fx300 and 6 puc fx400 they wouldnt know which is which. By the time you break it in, you would drive it like its stock.

Puc style clutches take a lot of abuse. The fx400 vs fx500 is sprung vs unspung. What exactly does that mean? the springs act as dampeners every time the clutch is engaged to take a shock off of the thrust bearings, unlike the unsprung that just SLAPS. FX500 would be fine on a full out race car, but i try not to sell them to people using it as a street. While i have used it on a street car and noticed no difference between pedal pressure and engagement from the fx300-fx500 just knowing its not sprung doesnt sit well with me.

All in all, the choice is what you want to do with the car. If you drag the fx300 will hold, but i would highly suggest the fx400. if you are FI the FX400 is the best starting point but if you plan on making over 450 hp i would go straight to the twin disk fx600 or fx700.

I hope this helps a lot of people that might ask similar questions. Feel free to chime in if you have any more questions/concerns.
My opinions are strictly on CM because that is all i run. Ive heard CC and exedy are good too, but i wont make an unbiased judgment on either since i have never used one.
Kris

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks kris.. your opinion is always valued.. ive had my fair share of unsprung hubs and i do not like them... too much chatter and i was told ultimately they can be detrimental to the trannies guts. which makes plenty of cents.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
ACT Prolite flywheel, CM FX400 6 puc sprung hub, washer behind pivot ball, SS flex line. Best clutch I have used in a long time.

·
Banned
4,358 Posts
ACT Prolite flywheel, CM FX400 6 puc sprung hub, washer behind pivot ball, SS flex line. Best clutch I have used in a long time.
heard the flywheels are great. Ive had a sour mouth left in my mouth from how many friends used ACT and failed. I got hooked onto CM when i was 18, and did my first B16 swap(7 years ago). so im happy with this clutch. Not one has failed on me. Granted some have failed on others, but what is the fail rate? Ive sold 100's of clutches and i think ive had to deal with 2 of them total.

Better fail rate then my xbox 360 that i love so much. gotta love the new warranty though:)
kris

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
JUST REMEMBER that CM, Exedy, Centerforce and ACT(and a couple others) ALL USE THE SAME PRESSURE PLATE !!!

They are all made by Exedy/Daikin.

The trick with all the stg3-4's is adding the washer under the pivot ball.

Here is the Centerforce(orange), ACT HDSS(yellow), and the CM FX400(white). They are identicle in all demensions and spring pressures on the plate, the only difference is the color and the friction disc(also made by E/D).

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you guys are coming back with excellent info! in comparison to the Clutchmasters 6 puck ceramic (FX400) and the Competition Stage 4.. which is more street friendly? I dont think ive heard much feedback on the centerforce clutches for the K series.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
JUST REMEMBER that CM, Exedy, Centerforce and ACT(and a couple others) ALL USE THE SAME PRESSURE PLATE !!!

They are all made by Exedy/Daikin.

The trick with all the stg3-4's is adding the washer under the pivot ball.

Here is the Centerforce(orange), ACT HDSS(yellow), and the CM FX400(white). They are identicle in all demensions and spring pressures on the plate, the only difference is the color and the friction disc(also made by E/D).
what is a pivot ball???

and second i had my pressure plates checked brand new and the ACT pressure plate was rated at 480lbs vs my clutch master which held at 460lbs... if they are made by the same company why would it be a 20lb difference?

anyways... ive only rand 2 cluctces on my car:

ACT HDSS (disk) and it held fine for about 20,000 miles then just went to hell

Since then i moved to the Clutch master fx-400 6 puck. dosnt feel much different than that ACT, holds more power to the ground. Only con is that sometimes in first gear in stop and go traffic it gets a little jerky but no biggie.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
what is a pivot ball???

Since then i moved to the Clutch master fx-400 6 puck. dosnt feel much different than that ACT, holds more power to the ground. Only con is that sometimes in first gear in stop and go traffic it gets a little jerky but no biggie.

This is the pivot ball I mention.

And yes with a light fly and some cams she can get a touch jerky down low, but you adjust to it easily.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the pivot ball I mention.

And yes with a light fly and some cams she can get a touch jerky down low, but you adjust to it easily.
whats the thickness of that washer and whats its actual purpose?.. i remember you mentioning it i think in another clutch related thread..

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Gives back the travel lost with that design of pressure plate.

·
Banned
4,358 Posts
Gives back the travel lost with that design of pressure plate.
Just got in touch with CM to try and get some of the facts from the source

They USED to use the daiken/exedy PP. They no longer use it. All PP that have gone out for the last two months are genuine CM PP, not an exedy.

Also when they used the EXEDY/Daiken, the modified the PP. It was heat treated, straps were replaced, and the pivot point was changed to allow for better engagement.

Kris

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
They USED to use the daiken/exedy PP. They no longer use it. All PP that have gone out for the last two months are genuine CM PP, not an exedy.

Kris

Not too cause any discord, but i just got a NIB FX400 from CM directly last month and it was a E/D constructed clutch.

Not that I am complaining at all, I love the FX400.

·
Banned
4,358 Posts
They love the E/D PP. Dont get us wrong, but its not the same PP you would find in the ACT or whoever elses clutch kits. Its been modified from CM to suit there needs
kris

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Subscribed! Lots of good reference materials here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat here.
I'm currently looking for a new clutch/flywheel set up for my car.
rsx-s with basic bolt ons.

I'm stuck between which clutch to go with and what brand.
I track the car once a month with NASA (2 days)
So I need a clutch that can handle hard, abusive use on track for long periods.

What would you recommend? I'm currently debating the ACT Extreme Clutch (part # AR1-XtG6) and the prolite XACT flywheel or the exedy stage 2 clutch kit. Can you guys chime in with some other clutches available?
I currently have 118k miles on the car and tracked the car for over 3 years with a event each month, sometimes 2 a month and the clutch just barely started to give.

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
4,358 Posts
Stay away from the ACT. Sure, im biased to Clutchmasters, but i wouldnt NOT tell you to buy exedy or any of the other clutches that ive seen great reviews from. ACT on the other hand is a poor product that has damaged many transmissions on just this forum alone. Try to find a CM or exedy that has done that.
I would suggest at a minimum of a stage 3 CM with a LWFW. I have a nice price for you if you are interested.
kris

I'm sort of in the same boat here.
I'm currently looking for a new clutch/flywheel set up for my car.
rsx-s with basic bolt ons.

I'm stuck between which clutch to go with and what brand.
I track the car once a month with NASA (2 days)
So I need a clutch that can handle hard, abusive use on track for long periods.

What would you recommend? I'm currently debating the ACT Extreme Clutch (part # AR1-XtG6) and the prolite XACT flywheel or the exedy stage 2 clutch kit. Can you guys chime in with some other clutches available?
I currently have 118k miles on the car and tracked the car for over 3 years with a event each month, sometimes 2 a month and the clutch just barely started to give.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kris, go ahead and pm me a price man.
I was getting a smoking price on the act, but I was leaning more towards exedy.
If the price is right I may try out the other clutch.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts