Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
In the last half year I've acquired one of my teen dream cars, 1992 Civic hatchback. And I've bit the bullet to put a K in it. This is to keep track of all I'm doing to it and to have things somewhat organized.
I used to have a mk4 gti for almost 10 years or so and the Civic was always in the back of my mind but I didn't have the funds to build it the proper way so I stuck with the mk4 and slowly put money in that over the years. I had my fun and ended up getting a '13 si sedan but didn't want to do too much to that. Hence the search for the hatch.
That's it in a nutshell. I'll be asking some questions too since I'm not a guru on k swaps so stick around, let's get it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's some shots of the car recently and motor when I first got it. K20a2 if you were wondering. I plan to have all new oem gaskets/ seals on it. Got a bunch of parts already, I'll post pictures of some of them too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Parts so far that I can think of that I have:
Kpro v4
K tuned fuel rail tuck kit
K tuned swivel thermostat
K tuned heater line delete plug
K tuned 70mm throttle body
K tuned driver's side radiator hoses w/ bung
K tuned knock sensor
K tuned ac/ ps delete pulley kit
K tuned breather filter
K tuned billet rsx shifter and base
K tuned clutch line kit
K tuned conversion harness
K tuned thermal intake manifold gasket
K tuned timing chain tensioner
Plm ram horn header
Hasport mounts
Action stage 3 clutch kit
Walbro 255 fuel pump
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
New oem water pump
New oem timing chain
Lots of new oem gaskets/ seals/ o rings

Damn k tuned, sponsor me plz

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bored the prb intake manifold to 70mm and painted wrinkle black. Even after sand blasting it those spots wouldn't go away. Before and after.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I guess I should show some of the things I've done to the Civic before I got the swap.
Truhart rear lca
Truhart rear subframe brace
Function and form type 1 coils
Drilled/ slotted front rotors
Nrg quick release and wheel
B&m short shifter

in the picture you'll see that the driver side has a new hub, funny little story is I was leaving work one day and on the highway all the lug nuts decided to come off and luckily there wasn't anybody behind me so I was able to pull over with my car looking like a Flintstone car in the front.

This is getting pretty picture heavy..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it the turbo'd 1.8 T engine or a VR6 engine? Anyway, the new chassis and K-series will be muuuuuuuuch more fun to drive.

Which one of them?
It was the 1.8t, that thing sure was fun to drive, turbo spool at about 1.5k rpm haha. Even though it was the stock toy looking turbo. I can't wait to drive the eg with the k though! Have you owned a vw too?

The kit is the newest one with the steel relocation brackets instead of the billet. P/n: kp-unv-400

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
It was the 1.8t, that thing sure was fun to drive, turbo spool at about 1.5k rpm haha. Even though it was the stock toy looking turbo. I can't wait to drive the eg with the k though! Have you owned a vw too?
We have a huge VW scene here in Germany, I personally didn't drive the MK4 chassis, but the MK1 original GTI with the 1.6 8V engine with 110 hp, which was kind of fun to drive, not as much as the Opel (ex-GM daughter) Corsa GSI, which was an competitor once, before VW developed Golf bigger and bigger. The MK4 is already too heavy...now I am back to 740 kg car-ready-to-drive weight, but with an K-series drive train :D.

The kit is the newest one with the steel relocation brackets instead of the billet. P/n: kp-unv-400
Thanks :). Do you know the issues, coming up with the upper bolt of the alternator (s. https://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94170)?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a huge VW scene here in Germany, I personally didn't drive the MK4 chassis, but the MK1 original GTI with the 1.6 8V engine with 110 hp, which was kind of fun to drive, not as much as the Opel (ex-GM daughter) Corsa GSI, which was an competitor once, before VW developed Golf bigger and bigger. The MK4 is already too heavy...now I am back to 740 kg car-ready-to-drive weight, but with an K-series drive train :D.

Thanks :). Do you know the issues, coming up with the upper bolt of the alternator (s. https://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94170)?
Oh I didn't realize that's where you're from, yeah the scene is huge there! Man I remember when the CC first came into production in the US and people started modding them, gosh those were mean lookin. I've seen a few videos of souped up mk1 and mk2 and they freakin fly!

Thanks for the heads up on that. I saw a video where someone put a spacer or something to fill that gap. I'll have to try to look up some more stuff. Helpful thread for sure. I'll have to take a look at the steel brackets they provided cuz it came with 2 instead of the 1 that's in the older kits (unv-385)

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
Oh I didn't realize that's where you're from, yeah the scene is huge there! Man I remember when the CC first came into production in the US and people started modding them, gosh those were mean lookin. I've seen a few videos of souped up mk1 and mk2 and they freakin fly!
There is a AWD MK2 with 1000+ hp around, or many outlaw like lightened carbed 1.8 with the 16V head. The aftermarket is wide and good filled with parts and of course the scene is one of the most well known, especially for the Wörthersee-Festival (s. https://woertherseetreffen.at/en/).

Thanks for the heads up on that. I saw a video where someone put a spacer or something to fill that gap. I'll have to try to look up some more stuff. Helpful thread for sure. I'll have to take a look at the steel brackets they provided cuz it came with 2 instead of the 1 that's in the older kits (unv-385)
I also have one of the AC&PS delete kits, but I took the KWP-TK-301, which is less prone for Nutation issues, because of the stiffer and much shorter bracket for the lower mount position. I would recommend you to follow the examples presented there by kb58, Micha and others.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a AWD MK2 with 1000+ hp around, or many outlaw like lightened carbed 1.8 with the 16V head. The aftermarket is wide and good filled with parts and of course the scene is one of the most well known, especially for the Wörthersee-Festival (s. https://woertherseetreffen.at/en/).

I also have one of the AC&PS delete kits, but I took the KWP-TK-301, which is less prone for Nutation issues, because of the stiffer and much shorter bracket for the lower mount position. I would recommend you to follow the examples presented there by kb58, Micha and others.
Definitely, I remember the parts swap community was similar to Honda in the abundance of parts sense. There was a big event that took place in Maryland each year I think that a ton of vw people drove to.

I'll look into that bracket. I have mine in a box at my house but one of the brackets in the kit online look like they made one with the new revision. https://jhpusa.com/products/k-tuned-a-c-p-s-eliminator-pulley-kit-k-series-k20a-z-k24a

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a few more goodies recently:
Arp head studs
Driver's side radiator hoses
Knock sensor
Thermal intake gasket
K tuned timing chain tensioner

And I took a picture of the new bracket included in the newest revision of the k tuned ac ps delete kit (aside from the relocate bracket). Looks similar to the ones that were fabbed up by some members. Lemme know what you think

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thursday after work I decide to give the valve cover a little paint to clean it up before I do the wrinkle red. Sand blasted, primed, then painted flat black. Also found the previous owner put an RBC intake cam gear on. Suhweet! Now I need to find out what the proper valve lash should be for the intake valves with that gear and if I need to have that gear exactly lined up or a tooth off when I do time the engine again. I tried searching but didn't get too much info. I'll keep looking but if anyone knows please let me know! Onto the pics

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered a bunch of oem gaskets/ seals/ timing chain/ water pump.
And ecu is off to Hondata.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cleaned up the intake manifold and exhaust on the block. Not fully done on the block. Before and after:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Intake on the block cleaned up.
Wire harness tuck progress and the original way it looked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Clutch came in and so did the new walbro fuel pump

1 - 20 of 207 Posts