Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the IFO race in Louisiana last year, I was pretty discouraged with the car. Everybody serious about this hobby has experienced that feeling at one point or another. In the end though, I always find myself coming back. The last engine lost a cylinder on the last run due to a number of issues which ultimately ended in the head gasket failing. I have a number of theories, but none of that matters now. On with the next rebuild :)

I'm always excited and willing to try new parts. Eventually, I'm going to build a setup utilizing all of the little ideas floating around in my head, but until I have the funds, time, and motivation to actually do it, the purpose of this build is to get the car moving using parts that will benefit future builds as well. The foundation of every build is the block. With this build, I've been blessed with the fantastic opportunity to try out the products and servicess relatively new to me, Blueprint Racing (www.blueprintracing.com).

Their ductile iron sleeve replacements are unique in that they feature an open deck design with a very wide gasket sealing surface. I requested the sleeves by left .003" higher than the rest of the block to aid in gasket sealing. I also opted for the "diamond hone" finish after fitting the pistons also acquired from them. Ben, my contact at Blueprint, was always very courteous and informative. He was able to answer my many questions, and more importantly, able to provide suggestions and alternatives to help my project move in a positive direction.

The block arrived very well packed in a double box with the block itself carefully cradled in dense foam. The crosshatching was very uniform and the top of the sleeve had a nice countersink to aid in ring insallation. Usually, that feature has to be requested. I forgot to request it this time, so I was more than happy to see they went ahead and took that small extra step. The bock was immaculate, with no edges or burrs anywhere on the sleeves. In the past, I've always had to use a deburring tool along the bottom of the sleeve prior to final assembly.

This is just the first piece and many more updates will be coming as time allows.

More to come...

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Looks like cross hatching to me.. Not sure if its the same thing though.....
2.0/2.4 Block?
Either way.. :up: GL on the build.. Keep us updated...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like cross hatching to me.. Not sure if its the same thing though.....
2.0/2.4 Block?
Either way.. :up: GL on the build.. Keep us updated...
yup...same thing. They just use a special diamond hone. I'm staying with the 2.0 block for now.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
yup...same thing. They just use a special diamond hone. I'm staying with the 2.0 block for now.
Oh ok.. Just making sure.. That block looks good and ready.... When do you plan to have it all together?

·
Pepsi Soprano
1,365 Posts
Ben is a good dude. I actually have to go the bank and cut him a check for my block crank and head , i think im getting sick:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts