Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CG6 Accord TURBO k20/K24 swap..

I’ve done a bit of research on the site and have a decent idea of what I want to do but I do have concerns that I could not verify fully or have heard mixed answers. I would also like hear input on what you all think I should do etc. Keep in mind the car is a 2001 Accord which I’ve done a H22 and 5spd swap and I love the H but it’s time for a change since I don’t want to boost the H22. Custom mounts axles will of course be used but I have other questions with the K series build.

First I’ll be using a K20Z1 head found one local from my friend’s RSX-S perfect timing since he has a spare head for sale. I then plan to pick up a long block in the next week or 2. I was thinking either the K24A4 or K24A8, I’m aware that I’ll have to use other type of pistons and rods and I’m not sure if I’ll end up using TSX’s or Aftermarket ones. Is there any real difference in using the K24A8 vs the most commonly used A4 if it’s more things involved I might just end up buying the A4 bottom end.

I know with K-Pro they now support the K20Z1 with the 05-06 RSX-S with a conversion harness I’m more concerned on which engine harness and ecu would be best to use on this swap. Could I just buy a 02-04 RSX-S engine harness and use that instead of the 05-06? I'm kind of lost here and I’ve tired to find out so I would love some input. To save costs I’ll be using a Accord 5spd transmissions or even a RSX Base 5spd. What ECU should I run with this setup along with K-Pro. I plan to maybe build this for light boost SC or Turbo but nothing crazy, my parts list is still up in the air right now just want to cover the block and head I'll be using first and go from there.

I noticed on the K-pro site they say “The 05-06 K-Pro is only certified to work in an 05/06 RSX. Engine swaps using an 05-06 RSX engine and gearbox into another chassis are not supported with the 05/06 K-Pro and adapter harness.”

This can’t be true can it?

My friend doing most of the work is very knowledgeable with Honda/Acura motors he does motor builds and swaps for a living and he has most of the things covered but I want to do my own research and learn in the process more about the k. These are some of the things that have come to mind I will get in depth when the build starts very shortly and would love input by the fellow K20a.org member’s thanks for your time

My intro thread with pics.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=531478&posted=1#post531478

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Is the TSX tranny a little more expensive than the Accord's tranny. Also which k24 do you have access to. I believe it really doesn't matter if you are going to change the pistons.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get a K24A8 out of a 06-07 Accord or a K24A4 out of a 04 or 05 accord. The TSX trans costs about 2 times more then a Accord tranny but I'm no worried I can get a good deal on the accord motor and 5spd trans togther which is why I want to go with the accord 5spd but I'm open to a TSX or RSX trans if I can find one at a better price but I would prefer to go with a 5spd to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Either motor should be fine especially since you will just be using the bottom end. You will want to at least put some TSX pistons in there. I'm not to sure about the Type S though. That's a completely different story. You know that's a 2.0 with a shorter stroke. I haven't heard of that setup. No doubt about the tsx pistons though and any other designed aftermarket pistons for the k24. Just make sure not to leave those same pistons in it. You get that deal and go from there. Everything else shouldn't be to bad. Have you talked to hybrid racing about a conversion harness? Get in contact with them about a wire harness. They should be able to do one for you. The axles shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up I was not sure if they could do anything not much support for the 6th gen accords out there lol. I'll contact them and Hasport about the mounts they might be able to give me some info on their 5th gen accord mounts.

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts
You are better off getting a whole TSX set, motor and trans. The motor will handle light boost no problem. You will need an 02-04 RSX/S or 02-05 EP3 engine harness and ECU w/kpro. Also need a cable throttle body if the motor has a DBW setup. Swap should be pretty straight forward.
Here is a great thread showing what sensors are common on the motors.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21854
Only other thing I would do is install an LSD in the trans.

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts
If you are set on doing the frank build, get the K24A4, some aftermarket rods and pistons (around 10~1) and slap the Z1 head on. Still need the parts I said above (wiring and ecu)
Get it tuned regardless of which route you take.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input I'll look in to that, I would love the get the whole TSX block it's a maybe I might be able to get one local but not sure how good of a deal or how soon it's going up for sale but I might just end up getting the k24a8 since it's such a good deal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the bump bro, it has been on paused for a bit because I needed to buy a new daily and picked up a 99 Integra. I was concentrating on other things also at the time. I received the mounts from Brian about 2 weeks ago. We plan on pulling out the H22 this weekend and then working on dropping in the K I will keep all posted soon.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
If you are interested in a TSX motor get a hold of NIkos. He's a good ppl to get the K24a2 from.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At first that's what I wanted to do but I found a K24A4 with 5spd trans local along with a fresh K20z1 head later from a friend.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moving forward guys I took the car off the road and pulled the H22 yesterday. Next is finishing the k24/20 build waiting on some parts. I'll be gettting the engine bay prepped to be painted and start tucking the headlights harness etc for now.

last picture of the car from last week.

Now

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Updates Whats going on with your build I just noticed it. SUSCRIBED!
UPDATES

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the bump guys, I had to put this build on a short pause do to my integra needing a rebuild it self since it's my daily and motor had major issues but just finished that car yesterday. I was able to get some of the parts I needed from Robby from Blueprint Racing and I'm now waiting on pistons from wiseco and you will see more updates shortly, thanks Robby you rock. This is how the car sits now.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts