Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cfrperformance.com/index.htm

So I've been looking for some unorthodox pulleys lately trying to find a good price on them, and while searching on CRSX, "Ive seen a few people talking about another pulley set made by CFR. I've never heard of this company, so I don't know how reputable they are.

For those of you that do have it, what are your impressions? and far more importantly..any dynos to show how much power they make?

The way I see it, if these pulleys are identical to the unorthodox set, I would go for the CFR pulley set since they are 1/2 the price compared to unorthodox.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
well first off your link doesn't work...

i don't know if i would buy pulley's off of E-bay from a company I have never heard of. From what I understand pulley's have to be balanced very well in order to not damage your motor in the long run. Some people have told me for the power/acceleration difference that they are not worth unbalancing your motor. I however have no experience with lightweight pulleys and would probly run a set on my car.

But i wouldn't buy them from an unreputable company... :dance:

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
jon v said:
well first off your link doesn't work...

i don't know if i would buy pulley's off of E-bay from a company I have never heard of. From what I understand pulley's have to be balanced very well in order to not damage your motor in the long run. Some people have told me for the power/acceleration difference that they are not worth unbalancing your motor. I however have no experience with lightweight pulleys and would probly run a set on my car.

But i wouldn't buy them from an unreputable company... :dance:

I've never run them either, but have heard numerous times that the power gain (if any at all) isn't worth it. :down:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, fixed the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

The company from what i have read has been out for a while, and some people only buy their crank pulley. I was not aware of the set, thats the question I'm asking

and to the person that said that you don't get any gains, maybe you dont from an AEM set, but people do get atleast 3-8whp dyno proven from an unorthodox set. Please dont be posting BS about stuff you dont know.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have had a set of those pullys sitting at my house for about a year now, i never put them on but they look like a great part. hell if you want them shoot me an offer..

·
Registered
285 Posts
not really related but i just asked Fluidampr about dampened K-pulleys, and they said theyre going to have some prototypes this summer. hopefully they get some out by spring '06.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
K2e2vin said:
not really related but i just asked Fluidampr about dampened K-pulleys, and they said theyre going to have some prototypes this summer. hopefully they get some out by spring '06.
dampened K pulley's?

Thats reffereing to the balancing or harmonics, right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
harmonics.

they look like this:

^^^thats for a B-series though. they also have "street" versions available for the B-series also(which allows you to still run P/S and/or A/C):

^The dark one is the street damper

·
Registered
285 Posts
rsr rsx said:
not this harmonics bullshit...its been put to rest already
at where? every forum ive read about the harmonics debate, its been proven that a harmonic damper will improve the life of the engine. the Fluidampr rep. also said every stock honda crank pulley has a harmonic damper(except for the N1 CTR pulley). And if youve read up on Honda-tech about people using the N1 CTR crank pulley on the b-series, youll notice that the majority of them has had oil pump gears shatter and what-not. one guy on there even replaced his oil pump about three times before realising it was the crank-pulley.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K2e2vin said:
at where? every forum ive read about the harmonics debate, its been proven that a harmonic damper will improve the life of the engine. the Fluidampr rep. also said every stock honda crank pulley has a harmonic damper(except for the N1 CTR pulley). And if youve read up on Honda-tech about people using the N1 CTR crank pulley on the b-series, youll notice that the majority of them has had oil pump gears shatter and what-not. one guy on there even replaced his oil pump about three times before realising it was the crank-pulley.
b-series!!!!!!!!!!! :hammer:

there hasn't been a single problem on k-series yet!

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
rsr rsx said:
b-series!!!!!!!!!!! :hammer:

there hasn't been a single problem on k-series yet!
aren't you the one that started the thread and was asking for opinions? No one has had any problems, probly cause no one has run there engine long enough. this is a long term issue, things won't fail over night.

How many people make pulley's for the K series motors? How many people are using those pulley's? thats probly why you haven't heard any problem stories...

Get a set come back after 20 or 30k and let us know if your Oil pump failed yet... :hammer:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
K2e2vin said:
I would be interested in getting a set of these when they are released. any word if they will have a set that allows the use of P/S?

·
Registered
20 Posts
jonv is right, the N1 crank pulley shatters gears, theres been plenty of posts on this subject at honda-tech, harmonic dampers improve engine life by a lot, i wouldve never thrown the ctr N1 crank pulley on my b-series

·
Registered
285 Posts
jon v said:
I would be interested in getting a set of these when they are released. any word if they will have a set that allows the use of P/S?
im assuming theyll make it sort of similar to the B-series line; which is a Street version that is steel and allows the use of A/C and P/S, and a Race version which has a pulley only for the alternator. so if they do release a street version, then yes itll allow the use of P/S.

you can email Greg at [email protected] and ask him more about it. I never checked up with ATI but they might be making some pulleys as well.(ATI also has Race and Street versions, but for the B-series only right now).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jon v said:
aren't you the one that started the thread and was asking for opinions? No one has had any problems, probly cause no one has run there engine long enough. this is a long term issue, things won't fail over night.

How many people make pulley's for the K series motors? How many people are using those pulley's? thats probly why you haven't heard any problem stories...

Get a set come back after 20 or 30k and let us know if your Oil pump failed yet... :hammer:
People from clubrsx have had the unorthodox set for well over 30k, problem free. No documented proof or even stories have come about oil pump problems, there are too many b-series oriented people who think they know whats up but dont know shit besides " oh i've heard this, i've heard that"

rsr rsx said:
The way I see it, if these pulleys are identical to the unorthodox set, I would go for the CFR pulley set since they are 1/2 the price compared to unorthodox.

/QUOTE]

·
Registered
285 Posts
most of the K-motors on the road arent really that old(~3years old as of right now), so that isnt a very good example. noone is telling you not to use them, but just informing you of possible consequence when changing the crank pulley.
also, about the oil pump problem and what-not being only B-series problems? problems like this have occured in other engines. every car manufacturer out there uses dampers, i dont see why you should remove it since its obviously there for a reason. if anything id recommend the AEM pulleys because they retain the stock crank pulley.
You dont believe in harmonics, so you dont want a dampened crank pulley, then just go ahead and get the CFR or Unorthodox crank pulleys. We dont really give a fuck because its not our motor, its yours. do whatever you want.

btw, imo i think almost all of you RSX guys have the same attitude.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
K2e2vin said:
most of the K-motors on the road arent really that old(~3years old as of right now), so that isnt a very good example. noone is telling you not to use them, but just informing you of possible consequence when changing the crank pulley.
also, about the oil pump problem and what-not being only B-series problems? problems like this have occured in other engines. every car manufacturer out there uses dampers, i dont see why you should remove it since its obviously there for a reason. if anything id recommend the AEM pulleys because they retain the stock crank pulley.
You dont believe in harmonics, so you dont want a dampened crank pulley, then just go ahead and get the CFR or Unorthodox crank pulleys. We dont really give a fuck because its not our motor, its yours. do whatever you want.

what RSX attitude? Not once did i mention anything about an RSX,the only reason i mentioned clubrsx is because thats where i have been researching on. You were the ones who started bashing about CFR not being a reputable company. I am aware that pulleys have supposedly caused damage in b-series and h-series.

There have been plenty of debates about harmonics and k-series, most of them being that it doesnt exist in the k20 meaning there will be no harm. I am not a pro when it comes to harmonics, but If i havent heard a single complaint about it on people who have pulleys for over 30k miles. Then I am going for it. AEM pulleys dont do shit, research on it, people have only got upwards to 2whp, if that. People with unortodox pulleys have seen upwards from 3-8whp.

I'll say it again I'm sick of you b-series know it alls, you dont know shit about k-series so dont compare it to b-series problems

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
rsr rsx said:
I've never heard of this company, so I don't know how reputable they are. The way I see it, if these pulleys are identical to the unorthodox set, I would go for the CFR pulley set since they are 1/2 the price compared to unorthodox.

jon v said:

But i wouldn't buy them from an unreputable company...

rsr rsx said:
The company from what i have read has been out for a while, and some people only buy their crank pulley. I was not aware of the set, thats the question I'm asking. Please dont be posting BS about stuff you dont know.

jon v said:

Get a set come back after 20 or 30k and let us know if your Oil pump failed yet...

rsr rsx said:
People from clubrsx have had the unorthodox set for well over 30k, problem free. No documented proof or even stories have come about oil pump problems, there are too many b-series oriented people who think they know whats up but dont know shit besides " oh i've heard this, i've heard that"

K2e2vin said:

rsr rsx said:
what RSX attitude? Not once did i mention anything about an RSX,the only reason i mentioned clubrsx is because thats where i have been researching on. You were the ones who started bashing about CFR not being a reputable company. I am aware that pulleys have supposedly caused damage in b-series and h-series.

There have been plenty of debates about harmonics and k-series, most of them being that it doesnt exist in the k20 meaning there will be no harm. I am not a pro when it comes to harmonics, but If i havent heard a single complaint about it on people who have pulleys for over 30k miles. Then I am going for it. AEM pulleys dont do shit, research on it, people have only got upwards to 2whp, if that. People with unortodox pulleys have seen upwards from 3-8whp.

I'll say it again I'm sick of you b-series know it alls, you dont know shit about k-series so dont compare it to b-series problems
AEM pulleys make 1 less than the others. If thats not shit then why even get a pulley if all you are going to get is 3hp...

and about us bashing CFR just reffer to the rest of my Quotes. Most of them just simply state that I have never heard of the company, and just bashing of Crank pulley's in general.

Also if harmonics don't exist in K motors than why is there balancing shafts in my K24, just like the H series you reffered to earlier. A motor is a motor, yes the K series is the best motor Honda has ever built but it is still just a motor not a magical unlimited power source.

Do what you want, it is your money. If you end up being right, good come back and let us know. If not come back and let us know. this site is dedicated to knowledge and the advancement of K-series engine in general. we try to stick to facts here not rumors or what someone else told us. If the past shows that harmonics are are important part of a motors reliablity than that is a fact, nothing really to argue about.

Oh and about that whole RSX attitude thing, I think you can see what we were talking about if you read through the stuff I just quoted...

I like the first quote the best myself, shows that you don't really know what you are talking about and that you are just kinda cheap and think your RSX is the shit, and that you know everything- that was a shot but not on CFR...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.