Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Does anyone know the actual weight difference between a cf hood/trunk and an oem one on a civic coupe??

Im curious as to how much weight can actually be saved by getting a cf hood and trunk.
As far as hood goes I would take a wild guess and say OE ~35lbs
CF~ 8-15lbs

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
well dont know exact, each manufacturer is different and uses different under skeleton, layers and coating. but k20ef8 is about right. u can possibly save as much as ~40lbs total trunk and hood. thats real good considering.

·
Registered
674 Posts
As far as hood goes I would take a wild guess and say OE ~35lbs
CF~ 8-15lbs
Almost dead on..

OEM EK Hood 34 LBS
VIS EK Hood 15 LBS

OEM EK Hatch 25 LBS without the glass
Fiberglass Hatch 9 LBS

I saw different weights in the hoods, we had a couple of them, but most probably was the paint, also the VIS hood had a couple of coats of clearcoat.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
I cut the skeleton out of my VIS hood, lost a little more, weighs 6.8:rolleyes:

CF or fiberglass definitely over OEM metal. Fenders is not so much though. Difference was like 1.5-2 lbs when I looked into it in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put an Odyssey PC680 into my summer only GSR. I weighed the stock Integra battery and it was about 20 pounds. The Odyssey was around 14 pounds. The battery would hold up well for a spring/summer/fall daily driver but won't last too long in the winter. I've had it for 2 or 3 years and it has not gave me trouble yet. I just throw it on a trickle charger in the winter and when I'm not going to be driving the car for awhile.

Instead of getting a CF hood you could remove the skeleton from the stock hood and use hood pins, or a bunch of Dzus fastners along the edges.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
i've been daily driving with an Odyssey PC680MJT for almost 2 years now & never had an issue. make sure you get the Odyssey Odyssey PC680MJT that's the one with the metal jacket that shields the battery from the heat of the engine bay, plus comes with the terminals for your standard charging harness cables and you be ok.
that one weights 15.2lbs or some like that but the extra weight of the metal jacket is worth it. winter or summer never let me down :up:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I am looking also into this, I want to get an Odyssey PC680, I live in the Caribbean so no problems with cold weather, the coldest I see it's like 65 degrees, I guess I won't have a problem.
Hey where in the carribean do you live?

I just received my Braille 9lb battery today. It should have similair cold cranking amps to the PC680 but is about 40% lighter.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What other heavy oem parts can be replaced by lighter aftermarket ones??

There has to be some lightweight suspension parts that can save a decent amount of weight? lca's, tie rods, other?? idk just a thought.

im just trying to find as many ways as possible to lose weight in my EM1 and keep it streetable.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
And you live where? In what climate?
Florida lowest temps we seen this year is ~20F :eek: summer gets pretty hot, rains a lot too.

this battery has lasted me longer than the full size yellow top optima that one died in 1 year & 3 to 4 month :down:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
get some aluminum kirkey seats that will drop some good 15+ lbs per seat lol

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts

There has to be some lightweight suspension parts that can save a decent amount of weight? lca's, tie rods, other?? idk just a thought.

im just trying to find as many ways as possible to lose weight in my EM1 and keep it streetable.
Carbon seats, aluminum exhaust, gut car etc etc etc

·
Registered
21,787 Posts

suspension can definitely be lighter. my tein suspension was lighter then my old PIC stuff by 4lbs a corner. Seats are a big difference. your radio. Speakers. back seats.

take out the sound deadening, go through your wire harness, remove what isnt needed, cut out the side impact bars in your doors if your that hardcore or if you have a cage or you wanna roll around like that, but I wouldnt, your door bars are like 8 lbs each.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts