Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I took out my s2000 cluster to see what it looks like back there and debating if I want to go back to stock cluster of my 1992 Civic Si.

I put it back, plugged in the harness and all was OK.

I started the car multiple times and it started up fine BUT at the end of the engine turning on there was this noise as if you would turn the key all the way until you hear the crank noise but in my case I didn't hold the key open if that makes sense.

Then after a few more times I turned the car on to try and figure out what that cranking noise was, the car would die.

Typically, I would wiggle both battery wires and then for whatever reason the power would come back. I know this because I kept the key in the ignition.

If I pulled the red wire up and hold it there, I would hear the beep from ignition. If the red wire goes back down, the power is cut.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

But now, with the key in the ignition and no matter how I position the red, no power at all.

Tried turning my corner lights on but nothing and my brakes don't work either.

I'm thinking it's a dead battery, correct? The only reason I question this is because of that weird crank noise when the car was able to turn on so I'm thinking it's the starter as well?

Thanks for your advice.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the battery to AutoZone to have them test it. It is fully charged.

I have a new fuse box coming my way from a local seller.

The thing with me is, when something doesn't fit, I get too aggressive. I start screwing harder and then whip out the hammer which I need to stop doing that. Not only with cars but furniture and other things.

This is my fault and am highly confident that the new fuse box will fix the issue.

FWIW, when the fuse box wasn't damaged AND the fuse is not there, the car would start.

Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Gadget Office equipment Electronic device

· Registered
41 Posts
I took the battery to AutoZone to have them test it. It is fully charged.

I have a new fuse box coming my way from a local seller.

The thing with me is, when something doesn't fit, I get too aggressive. I start screwing harder and then whip out the hammer which I need to stop doing that. Not only with cars but furniture and other things.

This is my fault and am highly confident that the new fuse box will fix the issue.

FWIW, when the fuse box wasn't damaged AND the fuse is not there, the car would start.

View attachment 110595
Nicely done sir! Jokes.

"when the fuse box wasn't damaged AND the fuse is not there, the car would start.". So removing the 100 or 80amp fuse allowed the car to start? That doesn't make sense.
I've heard that the ktuned starter-alternator jumper can be an issue, that's why I recommended that you check that fuse. Look's like you have a ktuned or rywire harness in there.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nicely done sir! Jokes. "when the fuse box wasn't damaged AND the fuse is not there, the car would start.". So removing the 100 or 80amp fuse allowed the car to start? That doesn't make sense. I've heard that the ktuned starter-alternator jumper can be an issue, that's why I recommended that you check that fuse. Look's like you have a ktuned or rywire harness in there.
I was referring to the 40A for the lights. All other fuses in there are fine. I have a ktuned harness.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nicely done sir! Jokes.

"when the fuse box wasn't damaged AND the fuse is not there, the car would start.". So removing the 100 or 80amp fuse allowed the car to start? That doesn't make sense.
I've heard that the ktuned starter-alternator jumper can be an issue, that's why I recommended that you check that fuse. Look's like you have a ktuned or rywire harness in there.
It all started because my headlights wouldn't turn on...

On a totally random tangent, my front bumper lip came a couple days ago and I painted with rattle can Captiva Blue Pearl and rattle clear coat. I must say, came out nice. I've been watching the youtuber Paint Society and learned a lot. May tackle front quarter next.

Hood Bumper Fender Wood Gas

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was able to replace the fusebox and. now there is power again.

It's a weird symptom. You can see in the video below that the key is in the ignition. You don't hear the beeps but when I push the red cable upwards, you hear the beeps.

Do I need to replace the positive cable?

Then when I go to start the car, the car and battery just die and I hear a single click. I'm assuming I need to replace the starter as well?

· Registered
41 Posts
That's funny. Could you try a new battery? That's what I'd suspect, that the post is loose or losing contact inside the battery case. I would also try to swap it your cable and see if it fixes it, though it looks solid. It has to be one or the other.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's funny. Could you try a new battery? That's what I'd suspect, that the post is loose or losing contact inside the battery case. I would also try to swap it your cable and see if it fixes it, though it looks solid. It has to be one or the other.
It's weird now. When I wiggle the red, nothing happens whatsoever. I took the battery to AutoZone the other day and he said it's full charge.

I guess the next thing to try is replacing the positive battery cable.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna try this:

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy who was the mechanic that did the work said it's most likely the red cable as he had issues with it before. He sounded very confident so I'm hoping this is a quick/cheap fix!!!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Replacing the positive battery cable fixed my issue. now the only remaining issue is why my headlights are not working. Checked all the fuses and everything is good there. My assumption is the headlight ballast is bad so taking to shop tomorrow to get it figured out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts