Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have to help get the picture.

2001 Integra GSR
JDM K20A
HR Wiring Harness
HR Fuel Lines
HR Clutch Line
HR Rad.
HR Header
Hasport Mounts

Car starts right up when cold and runs for up to 15-20 mins. Car warms up fan turns on and keeps running so all that works. If I then shut the car off and try to start it up again it just clicks like as if the battery was dead. The battery is at 12 volts and the alt cable is reading the same when running. Now would the red wire on the Hybrid Harness for the Charging Light have anything to do with this if it's hooked up wrong or maybe a ground problem? Maybe just time for a new battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The battery should check 12v with the car off. it should be around 14v charging( with vehicle running) if not you could have an alternator problem or a problem with the charge harness wiring. did you splice and extend the wiring?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did the charging harness just like the HR how to said and the starter starts the car so I'm guessing the harness I made is working?

The battery was sitting around for about 6 months on the garage table think I should start there?

The positive on the alternator reads 12volts also with car running to it's getting power from the harness.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
I had some trouble with my car after it was warmed up too. My symptoms were the engine missing, stuttering, anywhere above 2500RPM. Felt like the motor wasn't getting fuel because I knew I had plenty of spark. Finally asked a Honda Tuner dude what protocol I should take to solve this problem. He said the main relay can heat up, solder can crack, and cause resistance that will switch off fuel pump. Got a new relay on eBay and hooked it up. Problem solved and for only $10 shipped. The primary symptom for relay failure that I found on the web was intermittent or no starting problems. The web didn't even show the problem that I was experiencing. Glad my friend is a Honda tuner dude. GL!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I haven't checked if the pump turns on after the first shut down I'll check that next. Also I double checked my three grounds and they seem perfect.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
In the EG it's right above the dead pedal and hood latch. It's called the "main relay". It's screwed to a metal tab that transmits and amplifies vibration. The circut board has doo-dads that are soldered to it and the legs that are soldered vibrate that can cause metal fatigue (aka "dry" or cracked solder joints that expand with heat). That combined with heat are known to cause the relay to go bad. Sorry about all the words. I didn't much care for school.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
The main relay will start your fuel pump if it's bad, and hell, it'll even run your car just fine.................. for a short while. But when the main relay heats up it'll cause resistance or like I described so poorly before symptoms. There is no such thing as a fuel pump relay. GL w/yo car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts