Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Car struggles to start :(

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  ektyperhatch 
#1 ·
So every now and then my car will struggle to start. It will always start but sometimes I have to crank it for a long time for it to turn over. I know it get's fuel because after cranking for so long I can smell the fuel. I was thinking I needed new coil packs? Any help is great. I just want to be able to start it easily every time. What do you guys think it could be?

#12 ·
sounds like an intermittent problem with your crank position sensor...first make sure the connection is good with no dirt or corrosion inside the connector. I would then take a digital multi meter and make sure you have 5vdc when you have the key on postion 2. I would have to look up the other test procedures. What happens is when there is no feedback from this sensor the engine keeps cranking and goes into limp mode and the reason I think it takes so long is because it then looks to the cam position sensor to find tdc...pretty sure thats how it works but not 110% on that. Let me know if that works out for you.

#19 ·
that's something you should definately do. do a voltage drop test on that wire. you'll probably need a friend to help you crank the car. unplug a relay so that the engine doesn't start. place one lead on battery pos. and the other lead of the DVOM on the other end at the starter solenoid. crank the engine and look for any voltage drop. there shouldn't be anything at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.