Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Put the harness back on the drivetrain. Re-worked various odds & ends. Put in new spark plugs (NGK 6994). Conflicting gaps posted online, these came gapped to .030", not .044" as posted online. I split the difference & gapped them to .036" torqued to 16ft/lb.

Re-routing the harness on this side above the water pipe, instead of below it as before. Makes it tidier, and gives me more length where they need to connect to the cabin harnesses. It does mean that the plenum neck has to tuck behind the harness loop up to the injectors, so I ground back all the excess flange elements on my extension for the smaller TB

don't think I ever took a throat pic

had to futz with the bracket & bolt I used to secure the heater pipe - the flange it mounts to has to be shaved down for my water pipe to sit as it needs to

in shaving it, I cut into the driver's side hose, so I had to replace that. I know, I should have removed it before grinding

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
don't think I ever took a throat pic
Looks like port matched. Does the 87.5x99 need that much hole for the IACV to get idle controlled in your area?

I just saw it the first time with recognition. Dose the head-sided IM part runner stare to heaven in a more then 15° angle with an s-shaped runner (from side view perspective)?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Looks like port matched. Does the 87.5x99 need that much hole for the IACV to get idle controlled in your area?

I just saw it the first time with recognition. Dose the head-sided IM part runner stare to heaven in a more then 15° angle with an s-shaped runner (from side view perspective)?
I did port match the runner and plenum. No, I'm sure it doesn't need that much intake cross section, I did that to match the 72mm K-tuned TB I'm using. I have very little room off the firewall.

first, I built it for the 80mm TB, but I could never get a consistent idle under 1200rpm, so I made the adaptor plate & went to the smaller TB above

It's the stock RBB 2-part intake, I just chopped the plenum side for packaging in my chassis. The "injector base" (as Honda calls it) RAA runners are only "S" in the sense that the mount flanges return to horizontal plane from whatever angle the runners travel at, I never measured the angle.
original format:

the RAA runners incorporate a elaborate reed plate for crankcase evacuation under vacuum

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
The "injector base" (as Honda calls it) RAA runners are only "S" in the sense that the mount flanges return to horizontal plane from whatever angle the runners travel at, I never measured the angle.
Thanks for the picture. Looks like the runners are steeper as the intake head ports, which are around 13°-17°, depending where you measure on the bottom line of the port. The runners look like to be around 25°-30°, most likely to generate enough height to clearance the upside down showing plenum and length of the post injector base runners. Thanks for that term, always nice to know the OE part name.

the RAA runners incorporate a elaborate reed plate for crankcase evacuation under vacuum
Means, when the under pressure is high enough the reed valve would open the path the crank case ventilation and close and block it when MAP have increased over a threshold pressure, when the reed valve closes again. I see every runner has a connection to the valve room. The black rubber sealing in the middle acts like the reed valve? Get pulled down under vacuum against the tension of the two bracket arms?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Means, when the under pressure is high enough the reed valve would open the path the crank case ventilation and close and block it when MAP have increased over a threshold pressure, when the reed valve closes again. I see every runner has a connection to the valve room. The black rubber sealing in the middle acts like the reed valve? Get pulled down under vacuum against the tension of the two bracket arms?
I never took a pic of the channels in the cover - that center location is just seal - there is a bolt passing through

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
never took a pic of the channels in the cover - that center location is just seal - there is a bolt passing through
Ah, I see the bolt in the middle, the blowby hose connection and the body shape of the upper housing, but I can't see a reed valve function. If there is one, it must be implemented in the upper housing around the middle bolt, mentioned above. Did you see it in that upper housing?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Ah, I see the bolt in the middle, the blowby hose connection and the body shape of the upper housing, but I can't see a reed valve function. If there is one, it must be implemented in the upper housing around the middle bolt, mentioned above. Did you see it in that upper housing?
I honestly can't recall the upper plate passage way design. I assumed the elaborate layout functioned as blow-by reed valves, similar to the setup on my Volvo T5 intake (below), however it is not obvious that the plate can deflect in any way due to pressure change, so perhaps it is only channels for the gases to be drawn through. Seems awfully complex if that's all it is though.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
I assumed the elaborate layout functioned as blow-by reed valves, similar to the setup on my Volvo T5 intake (below)
Oh yes, these are definitely reed valves those two of the Volvo T5 intake. Thanks for sharing, always good to know what other brands provide regarding simple solutions on essential tasks of an engine system (y).

61 - 68 of 68 Posts