Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Got the motor apart today.

Looks like I dodged the bullet on the valves - no apparent damage, no marks in pistons

having the machine shop check the valves anyway

Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Rim Auto part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

White Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

no sign of trash in the motor - only scored guides
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Gear Crankset Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas

On the #4 cylinder oil consumption front - #4 piston, no sign of damage to it or rings
Automotive tire Bicycle part Drinkware Gas Electric blue

Hand Drinkware Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera

Bore is a another story - pretty sure my problems stem from the original rust area seen below
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Tints and shades Sanitary sewer Circle

Helmet Flash photography Wood Tints and shades Eyelash

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Started transferring parts to the replacement short block

oil baffle, RSX oil pump, Blox baffle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive exterior

Oil pump chain, crank gear, tensioner, guide

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Auto part

Oil cooler, oil pressure sender gauge adaptor

Motor vehicle Metalworking Automotive tire Machine tool Toolroom

overall mess

Automotive tire Temple Textile Motor vehicle Selling

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
Looks like I dodged the bullet on the valves - no apparent damage, no marks in pistons
These are great news @HusseinHolland!

having the machine shop check the valves anyway
That would be my 1st question to check them in detail by dismantling the valvetrain.

The last picture of post #41, what mess of scratches do I see there? Is this the liner or I am just too confused by assuming to see an eventual liner damage?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
overall mess
I wouldn't eat from the bottom, but it looks organized in most of the areas 😁. I like the view to the garden/wood? Looks so greeeeeen like here, not like those we see here from LA, AR, TX or so this season.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
These are great news @HusseinHolland!

That would be my 1st question to check them in detail by dismantling the valvetrain.

The last picture of post #41, what mess of scratches do I see there? Is this the liner or I am just too confused by assuming to see an eventual liner damage?
There is a gouge in the liner from the rust before original rebore to 87.5 back in 2019. It seems Darton sleeves are available (300-020), so perhaps that is a option, I'd like to save the block as a spare

another angle:
Musical instrument Gas Tints and shades Glass Auto part

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I wouldn't eat from the bottom, but it looks organized in most of the areas 😁. I like the view to the garden/wood? Looks so greeeeeen like here, not like those we see here from LA, AR, TX or so this season.
Yes, we have much greenery here in NY - view past my Volvo pickup I made Feb-May this year

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
There is a gouge in the liner from the rust before original rebore to 87.5 back in 2019.
That is a massive gouge of around 1-2 mm depth, isn't it? Was it in range of oil ring movement during operation? I am still confused about it, where it and how this thing could run...maybe I still have no glue where it located regarding liner height. Could you clarify this please? Looks like to be located at minimum 3/5 of the stroke distance seen from TDC.

It seems Darton sleeves are available (300-020), so perhaps that is a option, I'd like to save the block as a spare
Juup, the dry sleeve approach is here a better one as the wet sleeve thingy, which comes always with an higher risk of liner seating and loss of sealing capacity at the block-head-interface.

Yes, we have much greenery here in NY - view past my Volvo pickup I made Feb-May this year
Very nice green and a very practical Volvo pickup car. That backdoor is useful if you need something during the ride from the pickup section. Just nothing should be within the radius of the door opening ;). BTW practical, is it a AWD. Would be great when working in the woods, if you have some. Today this might a good invest to safe money from inflation and invest in material, which may have a good value also in future :). Anyway, I loved to go to work in the woods with my Dad.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That is a massive gouge of around 1-2 mm depth, isn't it? Was it in range of oil ring movement during operation? I am still confused about it, where it and how this thing could run...maybe I still have no glue where it located regarding liner height. Could you clarify this please? Looks like to be located at minimum 3/5 of the stroke distance seen from TDC.

Juup, the dry sleeve approach is here a better one as the wet sleeve thingy, which comes always with an higher risk of liner seating and loss of sealing capacity at the block-head-interface.

Very nice green and a very practical Volvo pickup car. That backdoor is useful if you need something during the ride from the pickup section. Just nothing should be within the radius of the door opening ;). BTW practical, is it a AWD. Would be great when working in the woods, if you have some. Today this might a good invest to safe money from inflation and invest in material, which may have a good value also in future :). Anyway, I loved to go to work in the woods with my Dad.
My recollection is that he said it (the worst rust gouge) was below the ring land, but I need to measure the bore distance & compare with the piston height at BTDC. This is what you could see @ BTDC in #4 before I removed the piston - the pattern looks like the large gouge area, except that it appears to be surface only in this pic. I need to confer with the machine shop on this. #4 bore was the only one that consumed oil & had a wet spark plug & piston crown when I tested the compression & leak down to find oil consumption cause last August.

I don't have AWD in the pickup, it is RWD with LSD. There are no woods roads in my area that I could drive on - we are on a ridge surrounded by large areas of State park lands, so much woods but no driving allowed.

EDIT: question for you - I reinstalled the water passage yesterday - and couldn't find this instruction at the time, so I put Hondabond over the entire mating surface (including around the ring, area on right in illustration), instead of just the indicated path. Now I'm wondering if that will be an issue. Any thoughts on that?

Head Hand Human body Jaw Gesture

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
was below the ring land, but I need to measure the bore distance & compare with the piston height at BTDC.
One of the lower pictures show that at BDC one of the big enough gouges is above the piston, which means at least blowby would include exhaust gases as well as suck oil into the chamber before the piston moves up to TDC. This would align with your observations.

it is RWD with LSD.
Thanks for your reply.

EDIT: question for you - I reinstalled the water passage yesterday - and couldn't find this instruction at the time, so I put Hondabond over the entire mating surface (including around the ring, area on right in illustration), instead of just the indicated path. Now I'm wondering if that will be an issue. Any thoughts on that?
I am confused now. The OEM design envisages here a O-Ring for the water passage bore. Didn't you see the O-Ring nut on the surface of the water pump mount bracket?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
One of the lower pictures show that at BDC one of the big enough gouges is above the piston, which means at least blowby would include exhaust gases as well as suck oil into the chamber before the piston moves up to TDC. This would align with your observations.

I am confused now. The OEM design envisages here a O-Ring for the water passage bore. Didn't you see the O-Ring nut on the surface of the water pump mount bracket?
Dropped the block at the machine shop - hopefully he can sleeve it before he closes up the shop (he wants to retire soon)

The housing has three M10 bolts & one M10 nut - there is no o-ring nut. The area that they don't apply Hondabond is a closed cavity, I checked the spare block today, so it doesn't matter.

Did you delete yours for the Pierburg pump?

Organism Font Parallel Auto part Drawing

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
I decided I needed to revisit the heater return pipe in the water extension housing. They way I had it, I needed a convoluted hose to make it work.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Coil Automotive wheel system Gas

Difficult to access the clamp, the hose has been squished between the engine mount bracket & the rad feed hose. It's held up, but I'm not happy with the layout.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive air manifold

I made a copper section that allows for a basically straight section of heater hose to go from the body pipe to the engine. Took several go-arounds to get the offset just right so it could screw into the water extension without hitting the block. Silver soldered, not plumbing solder. The mount bracket has to be removed IF the pipe is being removed independent of the extension housing.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system Gas

much better fit overall
Automotive wheel system Gas Plumbing Automotive exhaust Machine

sleeved the piping with thick shrink wrap, made a support bracket, just so when yanking on the heater hose, the pipe itself is not stressed. Had to use a flush bolt, to clear the rad feed pipe
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Nickel Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Machine

The other thing that has been an issue from the start is the AC compressor intake mount, and stress on the lines. I decided to beef up the main plate to make it more rigid, and add small shoulders on the outside that the compressor ears will sit on when bolted up. Still have to add some reinforcement to the bracket that goes on the intake ear.
Shelf Furniture Wood Tool Bookcase

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
there is no o-ring nut.
There should be one on the water pump housing bracket or carrier (I miss just the right word). It's bracket/carrier of part C in the picture of this post: Car died - P0365 Code - CHAIN BROKE(!) | Page 3 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum and the O-Ring is part D of that picture.

Did you delete yours for the Pierburg pump?
I removed the water pump inclusively the part C of above's mentioned picture. I just reused the O-Ring and closed the blowby labyrinth complete incl. the blowby outlet beneath the water inlet with an plate, which has a nice 32 mm inlet hose connector. Hondabond also was used like you used to seal the blowby labyrinth, but I have used an O-Ring (part C in that picture) to seal the water inlet. Ah, what I need to add, once the part C was exchanged by the sealing plate, I've described above, the thermostat system has to be adapted for a standalone one out of the Land Rover shelf. They use a good sized part for the 2.5 Diesel engine, which has a pressure and temperature related opening mechanic, which I implemented also in my control strategy for e.g. WOT. Once WOT exceeds a certain duration I force the pump to full load too, to open that spring force sealed inlet to realize a pilot control for the ECT. This works out fine as with the temperature related opening the temperature fluctuation would be bigger. I have no glue how much it opens as it is still a spring, but ECT range-wise exactly how it need to be.

I made a copper section that allows for a basically straight section of heater hose to go from the body pipe to the engine.
Wow, nice hard soldering technology here. I never used this technology in a mobile application with that kind of vibration. Seems you are convinced about it's durability of the fire brazed connection, aren't you? Does the copper line has a thread connection to the block? I couldn't see it. Does the silver-like solder stand higher tensions?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
There should be one on the water pump housing bracket or carrier (I miss just the right word). It's bracket/carrier of part C in the picture of this post: Car died - P0365 Code - CHAIN BROKE(!) | Page 3 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum and the O-Ring is part D of that picture.

I removed the water pump inclusively the part C of above's mentioned picture. I just reused the O-Ring and closed the blowby labyrinth complete incl. the blowby outlet beneath the water inlet with an plate, which has a nice 32 mm inlet hose connector. Hondabond also was used like you used to seal the blowby labyrinth, but I have used an O-Ring (part C in that picture) to seal the water inlet. Ah, what I need to add, once the part C was exchanged by the sealing plate, I've described above, the thermostat system has to be adapted for a standalone one out of the Land Rover shelf. They use a good sized part for the 2.5 Diesel engine, which has a pressure and temperature related opening mechanic, which I implemented also in my control strategy for e.g. WOT. Once WOT exceeds a certain duration I force the pump to full load too, to open that spring force sealed inlet to realize a pilot control for the ECT. This works out fine as with the temperature related opening the temperature fluctuation would be bigger. I have no glue how much it opens as it is still a spring, but ECT range-wise exactly how it need to be.

Wow, nice hard soldering technology here. I never used this technology in a mobile application with that kind of vibration. Seems you are convinced about it's durability of the fire brazed connection, aren't you? Does the copper line has a thread connection to the block? I couldn't see it. Does the silver-like solder stand higher tensions?
I see, I did put in a new o-ring (D) in illustration, Just Hondabond around the entire perimeter of C instead of just the left side (which includes the partition on the right of illustration, that is actually dead space, so I realized it makes no difference) - when you said o-ring nut, I thought you were talking about something like the oil cooler sandwich, which has a center nut to squish the o-ring.

OK. So. capping plates with fittings for water I/O & blow by to your catch can setup, got it.

The copper pipe has a 3/8" NPT fitting that screws into the extension I made. I went through my -AN fittings for the alternative of a flexible pipe section, the problem is, to achieve a 12mm ID, the fittings are all way too large for the space available. I would have to start from scratch and engineer a different solution & connection type to the extension. I may still have to do that down the road, time will tell.

The silver solder braise is superior in strength to standard pipe solder, yes. Since the fittings sleeve short sections of 12mm ID tube, most of the length is double wall. The centre of the elbows would be the weak point. I added the support plate towards the bottom, that the pipe is tied to, to help reduce vibration from the hose connection to the body pipe, but not prevent differing expansion/contraction that may occur between the metals of the housing, pipe & hose carrying the coolant.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
OK. So. capping plates with fittings for water I/O & blow by to your catch can setup, got it.
Yes, by the delete of the low load blowby line I had to increase the area for the WOT breather line to the oil seperator. I got to AN fittings welded on the valve cover like they use for turbo setups. Actually this runs fine, but at low load there are disadvantages for the ring sealing, as the differential pressure at low load of the ringland is lower and therefore the low load efficiency is a bit lower and the oil management around the rings changes a bit. Application depended, here it is a high load application, so it doesn't really matter.

The silver solder braise is superior in strength to standard pipe solder, yes.
Thanks for that information.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Head came back with confirmed NO valve train damage. So, I started putting the motor back together
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Rim

OEM gasket, head bolts checked for stretch, torqued to spec (3 stages)
Motor vehicle Goggles Headgear Automotive tire Mechanical fan

valve train reassembled
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine Automotive tire

chain, guides & lastly tensioner installed. Checked all markers
Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Engineering Wood Machine Auto part Metal

Shelf Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Engineering

Public space Gas Engineering Machine Human settlement

Somewhat concerned about using the MLS exhaust gasket with this flange - I have pitting above #2 - I think it falls outside of the gasket crush area though
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Cleaned the front cover seal area, applied sealant (and triangular seal ring), installed cover, solenoid, torque mount arm, crank pulley. All torqued to spec.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Engineering Gas

Runner ("injector base") gasket - I bought the RSX version ( water extension deleted), but I just cut down the new TSX one I had for this go around.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Musical instrument accessory Automotive design

Installed the pilot bearing 22103-PNA-003 & rear main seal 91214-RNB-A01
Automotive tire Wood Hood Banknote Money handling

made the installer tool using the old seal & a roll of duct tape, with a flat plate taped on the front. Pilot bearing went in with a 17mm socket
Automotive tire Wood Gas Hardwood Cylinder

checked depth all around (6.5mm) to ensure it's level
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Metalworking Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Wood Alloy wheel

flywheel installed, bolts cleaned, thread sealer applied & torqued (89ft/lb)
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

cleaned the mating surface again, installed PP & disc, torqued (3 stages)
Automotive tire Wheel Wood Crankset Rim

transaxle reunited with the motor, started putting all the sensors & ancillaries back on
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
sleeved the piping with thick shrink wrap, made a support bracket, just so when yanking on the heater hose, the pipe itself is not stressed. Had to use a flush bolt, to clear the rad feed pipe
Did you unsleeve the bypass coolant pipe for the anti corrosion painting?

Head came back with confirmed NO valve train damage. So, I started putting the motor back together
Wow, I am really surprised. That means in low speed cam there is no endangering valve-to-piston clearance, at least in 0° VTC position. That is good to know for a RAA block and RBC head. Thanks for sharing and I am very happy for you to read it.

Installed the pilot bearing 22103-PNA-003 & rear main seal 91214-RNB-A01
That is a great idea to renew it!

checked depth all around (6.5mm) to ensure it's level
With a swiss tool. We would say "...mit am eachth Schwiitzar Werkzuig" 😁.

I am really looking forward and to see the differences of the two headers 🤞. I will compare them to my forecast of resonance frequencies. Therefore, please ask the tuner to be precise with the lambda and VTC at WOT otherwise the comparison would be based on wrong assumptions 😇.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Did you unsleeve the bypass coolant pipe for the anti corrosion painting?
I think I painted it prior to sleeving, pretty sure I did - no pic though. I made sure to remove all traces of flux, as that can cause external corrosion. In any event, I have not experienced any aluminum/copper galvanic action - I do not use water in my cooling system, only Evans waterless.

Wow, I am really surprised. That means in low speed cam there is no endangering valve-to-piston clearance, at least in 0° VTC position. That is good to know for a RAA block and RBC head. Thanks for sharing and I am very happy for you to read it.
Indeed! And that was with higher compression Nippon Racing RL5 (oversize 87.5mm, though) pistons, also . This block has the stock RBB-00 pistons, with new rings. The bores only needed honing.

That is a great idea to renew it!
With a swiss tool. We would say "...mit am eachth Schwiitzar Werkzuig" 😁.

I am really looking forward and to see the differences of the two headers 🤞. I will compare them to my forecast of resonance frequencies. Therefore, please ask the tuner to be precise with the lambda and VTC at WOT otherwise the comparison would be based on wrong assumptions 😇.
No choice on those, different crank & block.😊

Can you elaborate on this for me?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,149 Posts
I do not use water in my cooling system, only Evans waterless.
Oha, need to deep dive what Evans Waterless coolant means on molecule basis. Beside that, Cooper is at +0.35 V while Aluminium is at -1.6 V, means almost 2 V difference in water. Anyway, both build very dense oxid layers calming any ion-based convective material transport, but diffusion based transport not. That means, if something vibrates good enough to destroy the oxid layer good enough there will be a chance for both. Normally you use a socalled sacrificial anode like Magnesium (-2.3 V) to keep the cooper feeded to lower the voltage potential.

And that was with higher compression Nippon Racing RL5 (oversize 87.5mm, though) pistons, also...
Do they have deeper valve relief depths?

Can you elaborate on this for me?
You mean what we would say here in my homeland? There is a well known advertise here in the German speaking area of Europe, it's about the Question who has invented the original Swiss Ricola bonbon. Everytime any other claims to be the inventor of those a small swiss guy jumps into the scene and remind the claimer on the original inventor and producer: Swiss has founded it. Only from Switzerland with 13 herbs". I've draw an analogous with the deepness measuring tool from Switzerland you have, which is only original done by Switzerland ;).

41 - 60 of 68 Posts